Whittier - car rental

ssbeard

Just noticed Avis now rents cars in Whittier. Would it be more advantageous and economical renting a car in Whittier and driving to Anchorage (we are spending 2 extra days around that area post cruise) or taking the cruise bus or train to Anchorage. I think the rates for a full size car are around $80 with tax per day with drop off in Anchorage.

Just my $ 0.02 worth on car rentals. We have a car rental in Anchorage, through AVIS, the week before our cruise out of Whittier. We called to change to a drop in Whittier and they said there was $100 drop charge, but our rental went up from under $300 for the week to over $700. When I questioned this I was told the daily rate was "adjusted", because of the drop in Whittier. I don't know what the drop charges would be renting in Whittier and dropping in Anchorage. Be sure and get a final total from AVIS before you book.

Enjoy your cruise.

Suzanne

If you are a member of AAA check with them. I have my confirmation in hand and that fee is not added. I did have that fee added then trying to book over the internet with Avis directly.

I would definately reconfirm that rate directly, sometimes drop fees are not part of the "rental" fees, and AAA may not have listed it??? I have heard of no one who has not had it added to their rental. I would contact AAA and confirm this? If this is so- then excellent information for AAA members.

for 2 people, it would be less expensive to take the cruise ship bus transfer from whittier to anchorage airport ($55.00 per person on princess) and then rent from alamo, budget, enterprise, econocar, etc. at the airport. that way there's no one way drop off fee and their daily rates are lower than avis.

for 2 people, it would be less expensive to take the cruise ship bus transfer from whittier to anchorage airport ($55.00 per person on princess) and then rent from alamo, budget, enterprise, econocar, etc. at the airport. that way there's no one way drop off fee and their daily rates are lower than avis.

If we take the post cruise tour with Princess from Whittier to Anchorage, Where does the tour end? I thought I read where it ends at a Princess location and not at the airport. Sorry to be so lazy in not finding this information on an older thread.

You wouldn't be taking a post cruise tour, you would just be purchasing transportation from Princess from Whittier to the Anchorage airport. From there you can rent from one of the othe car rental companies. If you don't take a post cruise tour or purchase a transfer from Princess, then your cruise would end in Whittier.

You wouldn't be taking a post cruise tour, you would just be purchasing transportation from Princess from Whittier to the Anchorage airport. From there you can rent from one of the othe car rental companies. If you don't take a post cruise tour or purchase a transfer from Princess, then your cruise would end in Whittier.

Please do not confuse TRANSPORTATION with a Post Cruise tour. Different things.

By the way, there are also car rental places downtown.

And, how many here want to bet the people with AAA rental get a big surprise the day they get to the counter and Avis says "sorry, pay the fee or just skip the reservation"

Please do not confuse TRANSPORTATION with a Post Cruise tour. Different things.

By the way, there are also car rental places downtown.

And, how many here want to bet the people with AAA rental get a big surprise the day they get to the counter and Avis says "sorry, pay the fee or just skip the reservation"

This is why I suggest they get this directly verified with Avis, by calling them directly and inquiring what their confirmation number is for. :) Hopefully they will??

We need to go from Anchorage to Whittier. And trying to decide between Princess transfers and the Alaska RR.

If using the Princess transfers for $55, does anyone know the pickup point in Anchorage? The advantage I assume would be once you hand your luggage over in Anchorage you don't have to worry with it again and it will be delivered to your cabin.

If traveling on the Alaska RR (which seems more a part of the culture) where in Whittier is the train depot? I would be responsible for collecting my luggage and transporting it to the ship -- via taxi or ? I would prefer the RR because it is a unique experience, but is it a lot more trouble? I think the prices are close enough to not be an issue.

The princess bus picks up at the airport and Egan Center downtown Anchorage, the rail depot is downtown as well. The Whittier is close to the docks- but always having a car there- it is tough to estimate how far walking? There are reports from people last year taking the rail. Hopefully you can find this information. For clairfication- this portion has exactly the same views with both the rail and bus.

If I take the post tour "Turnagain Arm History & Tram Tour" from Whittier to Anchorage will it end or drop us off at Egan Center? I'm trying to find the location to judge the cost of the cab ride to the airport. thanks again.

If I take the post tour "Turnagain Arm History & Tram Tour" from Whittier to Anchorage will it end or drop us off at Egan Center? I'm trying to find the location to judge the cost of the cab ride to the airport. thanks again.

Are you leaving the SAME day??? If so they have an airport drop off, since this tour is primarily to use up time for later flights. :)

Thanks Budget Queen, we do leave the same day departing at 9:45pm. On another threat you suggested renting a car and see the Anchorage area. You suggested this to 'adracer' and he's on our same cruise. The post tour will end in Anchorage about 3:00pm leaveing us with another 5hours of site seeing. It appears we have options. thanks for your help

Thanks Budget Queen, we do leave the same day departing at 9:45pm. On another threat you suggested renting a car and see the Anchorage area. You suggested this to 'adracer' and he's on our same cruise. The post tour will end in Anchorage about 3:00pm leaveing us with another 5hours of site seeing. It appears we have options. thanks for your help

Frankly if you are considering a rental car, then I would not do the above tour. You can duplicate everything in YOUR timeframe with cost savings. I would recommend an early bus to the airport, pick up a car and GO. :)

Archived