NCL Spirit - Belize - Rotan - Costa Maya

Will be onboard the Spirit to these destinations in February. Assume we have a budget for two excursions out of the three days (have already figured out Cozumel). If you were us, what would (or did) you decide to do?

Would you do it again? Was it worth it?

We're both younger and active. Wife is a certified scuba diver. I am not but have enjoyed it before.

My boyfriend and I will be taking the same cruise on February 6th. :D After some recommendations, we've decided to do Snuba in Roatan and biking in Belize...like you we've already decided on Cozumel. The only one we are still holding out on is Costa Maya, it looks like we may be able to take a "bumming" day on that one (and hopefully save some money!).

We did a tour of the lime plantation, included a home made meal, horseback riding and a tour of the ruins....it was wonderful, I wouldn't do it again but I'd do it if I was in town and hadn't done it before.

http://www.smugglersrunbelize.com/index.html

What ever you do, book a tour at this port....it isn't one you should do on your own.....the cabe tubing I hear is good, but crowded....the above gave us more of a feel for the place!

In 2007 we did the Reef Riders excursion on the island of Roatan. You drive you own 2-person boat to a private beach, relax a bit and drive back. A lot of fun! And very beautiful. It was an NCL tour, but I'm not sure if it is still in operation. When I look at the list for excursions on NCL's wbesite, I can't find it.:eek:

In Belize we took the excursion that goes out to Lamanai - down the river, we saw all kinds of birds and wildlife, and the ruins were amazing. We also saw howler monkeys, and if you have never seen/heard them, that is quite a surprise. Their entire body must be voicebox - you can't believe that sound is coming from such a small creature! Tour guide was knowledgeable - VERY worthwhile experience! Costa Maya we also went to Mayan ruins. Our guide had actually lived on the site (Chacchoben) until they started the dig in the 90s. He was Mayan, and knew soooo much!! I would highly recommend one of these tours!! We learned a lot - but enjoyed the day as well.

Will be onboard the Spirit to these destinations in February. Assume we have a budget for two excursions out of the three days (have already figured out Cozumel). If you were us, what would (or did) you decide to do?

We're both younger and active. Wife is a certified scuba diver. I am not but have enjoyed it before.

What week in Feb are you going? We sail on the 13th. My wife is looking for a dive partner so she can dive in Roatan. There is a minimum of 2 divers before they will take you out. The resort is called Bananarama.

If I were you and if your wife wants to dive, you might just want to snorkel go to the ports of call board and find the information on both, Rnnny (I think his name is) and Victor Bodden. I know Victor does have a diving tour I think. We are not planning on doing anything in Belize (at least us persoanlly, but some of the family is) and Costa Maya you may want to think about the ruins if that is interesting to you. We have read snorkeling and even beach swimming isn't wonderful in Costa Maya so you may want to just get off the ship and forget about doing a tour or deciding after you are off the ship what you want to do. The tour we have chosen is to a resort, but I have heard they are now sold out.

Nita

My boyfriend and I will be taking the same cruise on February 6th. :D After some recommendations, we've decided to do Snuba in Roatan and biking in Belize...like you we've already decided on Cozumel. The only one we are still holding out on is Costa Maya, it looks like we may be able to take a "bumming" day on that one (and hopefully save some money!).

Me and my husband will be on this cruise. Have you been to the Roll Call? NCL is setting up a meet and greet for us.

The Lamanaii/River tour is great! I thought that a howler monkey was gonna jump on my head, but he didn't. The ruins are extensive and amazing and our guides were very informative. We saw all kinds of beautiful plants and critters along the way.

Canadian Connection, the cave tubing is also an awful lot of fun. We had friends that did a cave-tubing/zip-lining excursion (I'm waaaay to chicken for zip-lining!) and really enjoyed it.

We are also on the Feb. 13 cruise (with Bike and his wife), and would love for you to join our roll call if you're on our sailing. We're having an awful lot of fun!

We are going to Cozumel in Feb.

We plan on doing our own trip to Sunset Beach: $15 cab ride, free admission, optional beach toys, large (free) pool, drinks and food available. Beach chairs are $2 for the day. It will be a nice laid-back beach day

For Costa Maya, either spend the day at the complex at the end of the pier (large pool, bars, restaurants, shops), or take a cab ride to Majahual about 2 miles away ($3 P/P). We had four people and rented a golf cart for the day ($50). It was very nice since we could go anywhere we wanted. Spent some time cruising the beach, stopped at a day-resort for drinks and swim. Then we went to Majahual and got 30-minute massages on the beach ($20). I also went snorkeling there.

-Jim

-6 degrees F in Buffalo today

I have been cave tubing in Belize several times and enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed zip linig in Roatan. There are at least 3 zip lines there. The zip line that Victor Bodden took us to was a combination of zip lines and various rope bridges which made it more challenging - especially when my nephews swung the monkey bridge while I was trying to cross it.

The Lamanaii/River tour is great! I thought that a howler monkey was gonna jump on my head, but he didn't. The ruins are extensive and amazing and our guides were very informative. We saw all kinds of beautiful plants and critters along the way.

quote]

We will be on this cruise in May - traveling with a toddler - is this tour 4 year old friendly? Also did you book through the cruise line or elsewhere?

Thanks!

I did the dolphin encounter and Tabayana Beach Club combination on Roatan. I love dolphins, and the Tabayan club was just beautiful, but I was lazy and just booked it through the cruise. I know there are much more economical ways to spend your day.

Seriously, though, the beach at Roatan is really, really beautiful.

Mccannme - That's a hard question to answer! It's a long day (6 or 7 hours). The ruins would be child friendly, but the bus ride and the boat ride are pretty long and they pack them full of people, so there wouldn't be a lot of wiggling room.

We've done Alta Ha and Lamanaii, both with the river tour, and one of the boats that we were on was uncovered, so make sure that you bring sunscreen and Off packets.

You might try asking in the Family section - someone there may have done this excursion with children before, and they may have better answers for you.

In Belize, we have always booked through the cruise line.

lamanai:

we had the best tour guide, she wa wonderful. kept the group together, a lot of personal history growing up in belize city. the interior of the bus needed work, but the driver was friendly and did a great job getting us back on time.

boat tour was great, we didn't see as many critters as others have seen...the river was high. the boat slows down in the spots where they know the citters hang out. seeing some of the other settlements was interesting.

lamanai was outstanding, even better then i had hope. very natural, no crowds...the jungle has protected it from weather and tourists.

we had a young couple with a 2 year old. BUT they were experienced hikers and the child was very comfortable in the backpack they had him in. they let him run in areas where it was safe.

lamanai does have snakes...don't let a child leave your side. also, the monkey don't like loud noises (other they their own). if the howlers get upset, they get very loud and throw things.

only a parent knows their child..but it's an hour bus ride to the boat, an hour (on the river) to the site, an hour walking the site...restrooms are like some of the ones in state parks (flush, no toilet paper, open are above the 8' walls, no hot water) food is limited to what is served during the lunch break...no place to get sodas or food on your own.

then back the same way you came.

on our bus, the toilet was working...but some busses are older and toilet may not be working.

1741710095_howlermonkeycloseup.jpg.249ffad7e2eeccf329d81b007852630e.jpg

190051775_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.5a212f60fa678cf6fcc1162a2a2cd157.jpg

1985487130_returntorestarea.jpg.2b0b347b0736c9e52c3895c5163c4763.jpg

827124771_Ourbusdriver.jpg.3d9935c032a4a6cba2402776fd345f23.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg.99f56eaf7cb4b330ad958c800dbcef1a.jpg

Costa Maya is not always good for underwater excursions, such as snorkeling or scuba. Apparently, they have nothing in place to protect the reefs. We were disappointed with our snorkle in CM.

We've done the cave tubing in Belize, but we had to stand around waiting nearly 2 hours. They didn't have enough guides, who are locals who come and work when they feel like it. So, the payoff was not worth the wait. The guide we did have was excellent! We wished we had done the zip lining together with the tubing. The bus ride to/from the caves was nice and pretty informative.

Have an excellent trip!

:) :)

We just got off the Spirit on Jan 23 -

Costa Maya - I think it is worth going to Mahajual for the day. Nice little beach town to relax and enjoy the water. We got an hour massage for $20 - and it was a good massage. They were located in front of Captain Mono. The ceviche was good but a little pricey! If I ever go back to Costa Maya, this is where I would spend my day.

Belize - we used EcoTours for a snorkel trip. I would definitely snorkel if I return to Belize. I think it is really fun!!

Roatan - we went to Beach Club San Simon for the day and used their facility. We were suppose to snorkel there since we had our own equipment but we did not get a chance. You can definitely snorkel from the beach there.

Have fun deciding.

We just got off the Spirit on Jan 23 -

Costa Maya - I think it is worth going to Mahajual for the day. Nice little beach town to relax and enjoy the water. We got an hour massage for $20 - and it was a good massage. They were located in front of Captain Mono. The ceviche was good but a little pricey! If I ever go back to Costa Maya, this is where I would spend my day.

Belize - we used EcoTours for a snorkel trip. I would definitely snorkel if I return to Belize. I think it is really fun!!

Roatan - we went to Beach Club San Simon for the day and used their facility. We were suppose to snorkel there since we had our own equipment but we did not get a chance. You can definitely snorkel from the beach there.

Have fun deciding.

ok Sheila,

You are just back, can you answer one question for me, how much was dinner in Shugus or do you know?

Thanks a bunch,

Nita

If you are interested in something different go to Sante Wellness Spa in Roatan. It is mroe than a spa. It is a one day destination. You will go by taxi, and then they send another water taxi from the spa to pick you up. The spa is actually a private home--absolutely beautiful. If you book treatments--which are VERY reasonable--then you can also spend the day here. There is a cooling pool, a hot tub by the water, a palapa for yoga and meditation or to book a yoga class if you wish. Or you can jsut sit on their decks and enjoy the beautiful day as you and your friends or partner get various spa treatments through the day. They serve a fresh simple lunch of grilled fish. They also have a boat and do take people out snorkeling, but I cannot speak to this.

It is an experience of a lifetime--very very different--and a most interesting contrast to the cruise experience. Go to their web site (jsut goodle Sante Wellness Spa Roatan). The spa treatments are very creative and different--in addition to your typical fare. They use fresh local ingredients to their treatments. She is also trained in some very different kinds of healing techniques. My sister got a treatment for headaches and my husband for his back--both were seriously impressed. This is not just the overprices kind of feel good spa stuff. She really is into natural healing and if you are having specific physical issues it is a GREAT place to go. The prices would be about half what the spa prices are on the ship. She will do the treatments outside or in their beautiful treatment rooms. You are right in the jungle, and they also have beautiful birds. Honestly it is like a place you dream about. If you are with someone who has no interest in the spa, they can still pay a fee to use the ground for the day and then be by the pool, use the hot tub, etc.

Also, go to the port boards--that is where you find out the details of all these places. You can do a search there for Sante Wellness Spa and get pictures and all kinds of reviews.

Got Costa Maya, I would not consider anywhere except Maya Chan Beach. It is an all inclusive, off the beaten path, run by a husband and wife, beautiful and amazing food, grand palapas that they position to accomadate your party specifically, all the food and drink and activities for a set price, and the privacy, beauty, and downright niceness of the guys who runs it--it is a cut WAY ABOVE all the regular hotel beaches and such. . .this couple were cruisers who set out to develop a haven for day cruise folks and they have succeeded mightily. Google it or again, there are hundreds of reviews of this on the port board.

The port board has extensive information! But for my--Sante Wellness is incredible. It was an experience I continue to dream about.

Archived