Food onboard Independance of the Seas

Hiya

Just booked my parents a 14nts cruise on June 11th this year, on the Independence of the Seas going round the Med. Its there 40th wedding anniversary and when we booked it last night it was all smiles. They are retired but not quite ready for a Fred Olsen type cruise if that makes sense...;)

This morning however, my mum was in a state saying that she had read some awful reviews in the Berlitz Crusie guide about how many people had found the food awful on the ship. I’ve calmed her down (just about!) and said it will be fine.

They have cruised before on Costa and as we are Italian, they thoroughly enjoyed the food on that ship. They are now worried that the food on this ship will be of the ‘fast’ variety as the reviews said it is all about quantity and not quality.

For them the food is an integral part of the holiday and they will not enjoy it if it is below their expectations. I know there is a Portofino Restaurant on the ship which incurs an extra cover AND gratuities charge. Will this be their only option for good quality meals?

Any advice is much appreciated in the hope i can hopefully reassure them.

There is also a CHOPS restaurant on the IOS. This has a cover charge but if you like a nice steak it's worth a visit.

We were on the IOS in June last year and didn't find any problems with the food.

We dined in the MDR every night, apart from two nights during the fortnight when we ate in CHOPS and Porto's. Of the two we preferred CHOPS.

You can eat in the MDR for both breakfast and lunch if you prefer this over the self service in the Windjammer. I think you can only get lunch in the MDR on sea days (if I remember?!)

Snacks in the Royal Promenade cafe's were nice to go to for a elevenses or late night snack.

And as you can see we're off on the Indy again at the end of September this year so it can't be that bad!

Just off the Indie and felt that the food was very good. No, not great, as it is banqueting food. Chops and Portofino charge includes the tip - but you can obviously add more.

The pastas are very good and there is a good choice in the MDR.

The lunch in the MDR on sea days is excellent - and on some port days this is also open buffet style as in WJ, but in a calmer atmosphere.

I really believe that you are worrying unnecessarily. Dinner in the WJ is also very good - very different atmosphere to that during the day.

I won't mention Johnny Rocket.

Archived