Chair hog question

Katie John

I was reading someones review of the Dream and they had several photos of the decks around the ship. Well over half the chairs were empty except for a towel. My question is how many people will remove said items after 30 minutes + and take a chair? I have never cruised before but if I need a chair on my cruise next week and there is one that has been empty for an hour, I will be plunking my butt down on it after taking the towels to the attendant. Carnival should enforce their own rule but if they won't I guess we have to. I'm sure if no one chair hogged there would never be a problem finding a chair. :confused:

We had chair-hogs on our last cruise and yes, it was very frustrating BUT we chose not to remove towels or do anything that could possibly result in an altercation. By doing so, we felt it would set a bad tone for our cruise. We just wanted to relax and have a good time. We just found a chair that was not poolside or we just set our beach-bag down to the side and jumped in the pool to cool off. It would have been really nice if Carnival would have enforced their own 30 min rule. It would have made it fair for everyone.

I am not a pool side person - I leave those for parents with small children who will be in and out of the pool all day long and those who like to show off their awesome bods. I like going up a deck or two away from all the hubbub and relax with a drink and read my book. I get a little exercise by going up and down the stairs for food if need be and there is always a waiter walking around. If there are chairs saved up there and vacated for 45 mins then yes, I move the towels - park my sorry ass down and if someone comes along and says it is theirs I just tell them that there were no towels on it and go check with security for their stuff and go back to my book. We are doing a b2b in February and you can be guaranteed that I will not let chair hogs bother me one little bit and I will get a chair. I won't be rude or confrontational or lower myself to their level if they choose to fight - I will just call for security and let them deal with it.

I agree with Tbay-eh. Let security pick up their items but if they have not been around then really, I personally have no problem when this is done. It is selfish and inconsiderate when people put their things on chairs and no one is there.

I don't have an issue with the 30 min rule but on my last cruise there was an issue of not enough chairs for all the people for an at sea day. I was with a group of people and secured my chair around breakfast time. Some of the later risers found they had to really look hard to find chairs around lunch time. The chairs they were finding were as people left or based on the 30 min rule by asking people how long the chair was vacant.

Carnival needs ot make sure that they have enough chairs for everyone on board. They probably need to have 3 deck chairs per room to assure this.

I never did, but on a recent trip, a family of 7 people came, left a towel, tattered old books and EMPTY suntan lotion bottles on 7 chairs (now that's professional chair hogs!!). I was there for 3 hours before they returned. They huffed and puffed but then stormed away. I just ignored them. That's ridiculous, isn't it???? I think I probably would now, after seeing that! =)

Just curious, where do you move the chair to? If you are going to move, why not take an empty chair and move that?:confused:

As mentioned, only if there are no chairs.

And I usually move it not more than 10 feet.

There are plenty of Chair Hogs in the Dream, but don't let it become an issue. You can go up one flight of stairs & there are plenty of chairs to sit in. If you want to go for a dip in the pool, just go down the flight of stairs.

It's much quieter up on deck anyway.

Just returned from the Dream and after all the posts about chair hogs I was surprised that there was an almost constant repeating "ticker" at the bottom of the pool side big screen that warned of chair hogging and that items would be removed from the chairs after 30 minutes or so. I don't use the pool side chairs myself but every time I walked past during the day heading for a pizza or ice cream cone there seemed to be enough chairs except late morning through the afternoon when they were actually occupied.

Cheers!

I was reading someones review of the Dream and they had several photos of the decks around the ship. Well over half the chairs were empty except for a towel. My question is how many people will remove said items after 30 minutes + and take a chair? I have never cruised before but if I need a chair on my cruise next week and there is one that has been empty for an hour, I will be plunking my butt down on it after taking the towels to the attendant. Carnival should enforce their own rule but if they won't I guess we have to. I'm sure if no one chair hogged there would never be a problem finding a chair. :confused:

Oh thats an easy one...maybe someone put a bunch of towels on chairs then took a picture and then came on here to complain about it. Then they go and remove the towels and get a great laugh at the hysteria the thread creates.

14 cruises later i HAVE NEVER HAD a chair hog problem. I have always found chairs near the pool. To me it is still an urban myth-legend.

if it doesnt bother you, you have no say so in the matter. if you dont do something about it, still no say so in the matter. After all...wouldnt that make a great TV show?....what would you do?????

Our two cruises over New Year, towels got one H of a suntan. There were 30 or more around the pool with just a nice blue towel on them. We were watching a football game and people never showed up at all for 3 hrs. We were there. Nothing has changed with saving chairs or saving seats for the shows in the front rows. Same thing on New Years eve. People saving tabels on the lido deck and nobody showed up.

I hate confrontation, and will always look for an empty chair elsewhere first. But on our Inspiration cruise, there were no "unsaved" chairs on the serenity deck. So I politely folded up the towel that was in a lounger (it was soaking wet from being left out in the rain earlier in the day), and parked my keester. I don't remember how long exactly, but some minutes later, a woman walked up and politely said "excuse me, you're in my seat."

No biggie. I smiled, told her I was just keeping it warm for her, and got up. She offered me the chair next to her, which belonged to her friend who apparantly wasn't going to show up after all. So I folded up her friend's towel, and parked my keester in the chair.

I suppose I could have gotten defensive and argued the rules that Carnival doesn't enforce, given her the stink eye, and made a big to-do about it, but I chose the high road and was rewarded with a much happier stress-free ending. :)

OH! WOW! Ooopps... I thought all those towels were just souvenirs since you didn't have to check them out. Now between this thread and the one a few days ago about charges on your S&S it all makes sense. :eek:

When I can't find a chair, which is rare, I WILL move a towel, AND move the chair.

And then occupy it.

Thanks Pete, my tact as well. If that chair has been empty for more than 30 minutes and there is a towel or a book or whatever on it, it all gets taken to the attendant and then the chair gets moved to a new location. No altercations, no problems, all is well and good in the world.

I do as some of the others do. I just move the stuff and sit down. If someone says anything, I just tell them it was empty when I sat down. Tough luck to them.

I also abide by the 30 minute rule. That is plenty of time to run to the restroom or whatever. Beyond that, if you don't have chair guards, it's your loss. And I do not move. I once sat in the middle of some big group that woke up at the crack of dawn to reserve the front row of chairs by the main pool. I think it was day two. After that, they would leave a family member to stand guard in shifts to ward me and other normal people off. And this was large family, maybe 12-15 people.

URGENT....just returned from a chair hog convention in Miami. I am not, repeat, I am not a member, just.wanted to watch the festivities.

Predictably, there were not enough chairs.They cussed, kicked and scratched for several hours before getting down to the business of electing officers for the year. In MHO this could have been achieved much more quickly if they had voted according to candidates IQ's. Instead most had slogans and campaign platforms ranging from: I don't give a d... about you this is my vacation to I don't give a d....about you this is my vacation.They ultimately passed a motion (the only thing they agreed upon unanimously) to divide up and spread themselves among all cruise

lines throughout the year and place towels etc. on as many chairs as

possible. Promising to check on them at least once every three hours and drunkenly berate any man woman or child desparate enough to claim one.

At the end they all repeated the chair hog oath (still in the process of

transcription, for posting later). Some actually read the oath, saw their

lips moving. Finale was secret handshake primarily involving the middle

finger of both hands.:p

Archived