Chair hog question

Katie John

I have kids that I want to supervise in the pool, so want chairs nearby.

If the chairs are not being used, but are just being saved with an item I get the attendent and insist he remove the items. That way he is responsible for their stuff and making the passengers follow the rules and I am less likely to have problems when the people return for their stuff.

If you have the attendent follow you to the chairs and explain that the stuff is just sitting in them he can either take them, or you can pick them up and hand them to him and he can decide to piss you off or the returning passenger. I have never had anyone prefer to piss me off. :eek:

I don't get it. I have never had a problem finding a chair on deck. But then again I don't have to be the center of attention and have a seat right by the pool side.:rolleyes:

Us either........it seems everyone wants that same chair:rolleyes: If you have to have a chair directly in front of the pool then get up early..... otherwise there are plenty of chairs in view of the pool even up top.....I can't imagine wasting my time standing and timing a chair when there are plenty to go around.........

This is not an urban legend. There were times on my recent Destiny cruise when unoccupied (human or towel) chairs were virtually non-existent. However, I did not want to wait around for 30 minutes to see if anyone returned. Finally, after much walking, we found some stacked on one of the uppermost decks and managed to squeeze them into a spot. I would not say they were ample or plentiful at all.

I was reading someones review of the Dream and they had several photos of the decks around the ship. Well over half the chairs were empty except for a towel. My question is how many people will remove said items after 30 minutes + and take a chair? I have never cruised before but if I need a chair on my cruise next week and there is one that has been empty for an hour, I will be plunking my butt down on it after taking the towels to the attendant. Carnival should enforce their own rule but if they won't I guess we have to. I'm sure if no one chair hogged there would never be a problem finding a chair. :confused:

Chair hogs provide lots of entertainment. Move stuff to another chair or just put it on ground. Watching the Hogs reaction when they return, Priceless!

Chair hogs provide lots of entertainment. Move stuff to another chair or just put it on ground. Watching the Hogs reaction when they return, Priceless!

If you're a saddist like I am, you will film it! :D RCCL is the best, cause it's the deck crew doing it.

I was reading someones review of the Dream and they had several photos of the decks around the ship. Well over half the chairs were empty except for a towel. My question is how many people will remove said items after 30 minutes + and take a chair? I have never cruised before but if I need a chair on my cruise next week and there is one that has been empty for an hour, I will be plunking my butt down on it after taking the towels to the attendant. Carnival should enforce their own rule but if they won't I guess we have to. I'm sure if no one chair hogged there would never be a problem finding a chair. :confused:

We sailed the Dream in early November and I can honestly tell you we never had a problem with "chair hogs". The lounges on deck five were never more than half full. Most of the time they were empty. Posters on the boards here led us to believe that the Dream was supercrowded and that the Serenity area was far from serene. Both issues turned out to be untrue. There are plenty of places to lounge on the Dream without crowds and/or chair hogs. There is NO reason to get as close to the pools as possible. Leave it to people with young kids and you will have a much nicer time and likely will not have to trip over anyone!

PS. The same was true for the shows. Never had to fight for a seat in the theatre. We had late seating.

URGENT....just returned from a chair hog convention in Miami. I am not, repeat, I am not a member, just.wanted to watch the festivities.

Predictably, there were not enough chairs.They cussed, kicked and scratched for several hours before getting down to the business of electing officers for the year. In MHO this could have been achieved much more quickly if they had voted according to candidates IQ's. Instead most had slogans and campaign platforms ranging from: I don't give a d... about you this is my vacation to I don't give a d....about you this is my vacation.They ultimately passed a motion (the only thing they agreed upon unanimously) to divide up and spread themselves among all cruise

lines throughout the year and place towels etc. on as many chairs as

possible. Promising to check on them at least once every three hours and drunkenly berate any man woman or child desparate enough to claim one.

At the end they all repeated the chair hog oath (still in the process of

transcription, for posting later). Some actually read the oath, saw their

lips moving. Finale was secret handshake primarily involving the middle

finger of both hands.:p

I can hardly wait to hear their oath!

Nice review of the convention!

When we were on the Pride last year, our daughter (who cannot swim unsupervised - she's not a strong enough swimmer) wanted desperately to play in the pool. The pool side chair hogs were insufferable and really rude! We tried like crazy to find a chair - we sat patiently on the side of the pool waiting for a nearby chair to free up. When a chair freed up we started towards it and out of nowhere this one lady practically did a flying nose-dive into it and then had the nerve to smirk at us! :mad:

In another instance, two chairs had sat unoccupied with a book on each chair for about 40 minutes before my husband and I went for them. As soon as we sat down it was like the people had radar and came directly for us - fangs bared and attitudes flaring. We could have given them the "You're #1" signal, but for our trip's sake, we got up - defeated, and left the area - never to return.

Incidentally, we had no problems finding chairs in any other locations - NOT by the pool. :rolleyes:

We sailed the Dream in early November and I can honestly tell you we never had a problem with "chair hogs". The lounges on deck five were never more than half full. Most of the time they were empty. Posters on the boards here led us to believe that the Dream was supercrowded and that the Serenity area was far from serene. Both issues turned out to be untrue. There are plenty of places to lounge on the Dream without crowds and/or chair hogs. There is NO reason to get as close to the pools as possible. Leave it to people with young kids and you will have a much nicer time and likely will not have to trip over anyone!

PS. The same was true for the shows. Never had to fight for a seat in the theatre. We had late seating.

<emphasis mine>

Mid-September through early November is about as slow as it gets for Carib runs.

Archived