Rant and feedback needed.

Cruisin Christi

I am pretty lucky since my husband gets excited about our cruises but he contains his excitement until about a month before we go. We usually book about 9 months out and I am the one who does all the planning and such and then as the cruise gets closer hubby will start asking questions on what we are doing and such. I find that the planning and researching is just as much fun as the actual cruise.

I am pretty lucky since my husband gets excited about our cruises but he contains his excitement until about a month before we go. We usually book about 9 months out and I am the one who does all the planning and such and then as the cruise gets closer hubby will start asking questions on what we are doing and such. I find that the planning and researching is just as much fun as the actual cruise.

Reminds me of prom..finding what to wear, getting my tan on, getting those last pounds off, making my hair pretty.

I just hope getting on the ship isn't like actually 'going to the prom' cuz after the planning the prom was a let down, for me anyway. And I got to go to several. I enjoyed the planning more than the prom every single time.

Guess I am a planner by nature.

I'm obsessed, too! We don't even have a cruise booked right now. We really REALLY want to go on a cruise in April since this is my oldest's last year before starting kindergarten and we have to pay the insane summer rates. I just pretend like we have this cruise booked at this point. It all depends on our finances.

We went on a cruise last January and took a couple with us who had never cruised before. I knew that they were totally not into all of the planning so I only gave them critical info. DH was sick to death of hearing about the trip, too. We all had a great time and the friends have thanked me many times for all of the hard work that I put in preparing.

Be prepared though that not everyone does get as excited about things even if they did enjoy them. I felt totally responsible for the other couple having fun since we talked them into going. To this day if you ask them if they liked the cruise, they say it was fun, but they would have probably never have gone without us and they would probably never go again.

Because I am so obsessive about planning any vacation, it is unfathomable to me that some people have no desire to plan. These same friends normally do roadtrips where they set out in a certain direction and have absolutely no set plans of where they are going, where they will stay along the way, or what they will do. They did this for a 2 week trip heading west. Kind of sounds exciting, huh? Are you kidding?! I could NEVER do that!!:D

I think when I grow up that I do want to be a travel agent because I LOVE planning trips even if they aren't for me.

I'm obsessed, too! We don't even have a cruise booked right now. We really REALLY want to go on a cruise in April since this is my oldest's last year before starting kindergarten and we have to pay the insane summer rates. I just pretend like we have this cruise booked at this point. It all depends on our finances.

We went on a cruise last January and took a couple with us who had never cruised before. I knew that they were totally not into all of the planning so I only gave them critical info. DH was sick to death of hearing about the trip, too. We all had a great time and the friends have thanked me many times for all of the hard work that I put in preparing.

Be prepared though that not everyone does get as excited about things even if they did enjoy them. I felt totally responsible for the other couple having fun since we talked them into going. To this day if you ask them if they liked the cruise, they say it was fun, but they would have probably never have gone without us and they would probably never go again.

Because I am so obsessive about planning any vacation, it is unfathomable to me that some people have no desire to plan. These same friends normally do roadtrips where they set out in a certain direction and have absolutely no set plans of where they are going, where they will stay along the way, or what they will do. They did this for a 2 week trip heading west. Kind of sounds exciting, huh? Are you kidding?! I could NEVER do that!!:D

I think when I grow up that I do want to be a travel agent because I LOVE planning trips even if they aren't for me.

Well I hope that my SIL has fun, they invited themselves on this trip, even tho we say we invited them(that isn't how it went down). This was going to be mine and DH's last trip alone..no kids no friends no family. Then my sister wanted to go, then backed out. So when SIL(who hates my sister) heard she decided she would come.

So if she hates it I won't feel too bad. I am sure I will have fun regardless.

Sounds like you should be a travel agent. Maybe I should?!:D

Don't worry I'm excited with you!!!!!!!!!!:D

Now if I could just plan one of these OFFICIAL cruises and all of you could come we could have a great time in a roll call of our own...PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!

I am splitting at the seams with excitement. What am I gonna do with myself?!

I think it is a HUGE mistake to try to "excite" the other members of your party into being excited about an upcoming cruise -- particularly if they have not taken a cruise before.

Cruises aren't for everyone and, as at least one other poster pointed out, if you happen to be successful in convincing them to expect the greatest thing ever, there is a significant chance that they will be let down.

I like the PowerPoint idea, but it isn't always practical. And you may find you're being pushy without realizing it. To be honest, I would focus on possible negative aspects of the cruise, if only to prepare them (the lack of a coffee maker was obviously one good example). Unless you're planning to make this a one shot deal, it is far more important that they say after the cruise that they enjoyed it than that they say before the cruise that they're excited about it. If you don't prepare them for the negative aspects of the cruise vacation, that may be all they focus on.

Personally, I don't get any more "excited" about an upcoming cruise than I do about a regular vacation. I'll be in Hawaii for a week starting the day after tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to that a lot. For me, it's not as much about the cruise ship as it is about the time off, the chance to thaw out and the opportunity to spend time with my family. If it is a new or particularly interesting destination, that's another plus as well.

Since the presentation, my husband has gotten really excited and is FINALLY starting to look around on Cruise Critic. He keeps sending me links to stuff that I've already seen and tried to tell him about (not that he listened to any of it). Oh well, at least he's excited now.

Same thing with my DH. We booked our trip back last April. So were were way out when I started to research. Now DH keeps telling me knew things he is learning, that I found out about in June LOL. My favorite is when he tries to show me a thread and I tell him "I know, keep reading farther, I already commented on that one" LOL

I keep wanting to spread all my knowlege to our friends who are going with us, but I don't want to be too pushy. They do ask some questions now that we are less than 30 days away. I just hope they will not be unprepared for the trip.

My DS aged 13 says he doesn't like to think about our upcoming cruise because he gets too excited and it makes it harder to wait. My DH says that he's happy to pay for everything if I am willing to do all the planning and prep. I'll take it.

I think it is a HUGE mistake to try to "excite" the other members of your party into being excited about an upcoming cruise -- particularly if they have not taken a cruise before.

Cruises aren't for everyone and, as at least one other poster pointed out, if you happen to be successful in convincing them to expect the greatest thing ever, there is a significant chance that they will be let down.

I like the PowerPoint idea, but it isn't always practical. And you may find you're being pushy without realizing it. To be honest, I would focus on possible negative aspects of the cruise, if only to prepare them (the lack of a coffee maker was obviously one good example). Unless you're planning to make this a one shot deal, it is far more important that they say after the cruise that they enjoyed it than that they say before the cruise that they're excited about it. If you don't prepare them for the negative aspects of the cruise vacation, that may be all they focus on.

Personally, I don't get any more "excited" about an upcoming cruise than I do about a regular vacation. I'll be in Hawaii for a week starting the day after tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to that a lot. For me, it's not as much about the cruise ship as it is about the time off, the chance to thaw out and the opportunity to spend time with my family. If it is a new or particularly interesting destination, that's another plus as well.

Very good point - it is always good to manage expectations. You don't want to get people too built up, or else they may be disappointed.

I wanted to make sure that everyone had all of the information that I felt they needed - good information and bad. I personally don't like surprises, and I like to feel like I'm prepared for a vacation. So, the PowerPoint went over everything from dress codes, what to expect in your cabin, menus, dining options, and kids' clubs. I even had pictures of cabins in each category that we are booked in and photos of various areas throughout the ship.

Then I presented what our family was going to be doing at each port stop. When we travel with other couples, we always just make our own plans and invite anyone to join us that wants to. Most of the time the other families/couples will join us, but sometimes they have their own interests. That's fine. I gathered information on what excursions are offered at each port so that each family can decide what they want to do at each stop. Come to find out, my husband would rather do something besides Cave Tubing in Belize, so I am going with his best friend and all of our kids.

I am so glad I found your post. I have 2 cruises booked this year. First time on a cruise will be 3-12 on the Elation out of Mobile with DSisIL. 2nd on July 3 on the Legend with DH, DD, DSonIL & DGD. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I have researched everything. Nobody is excited but me & my SonIL . My SisIL says she will believe she is on a cruise when she gets on the boat. I finally convinced her to get a passport. She argued with me that she didn't think we needed to printout all the papers from Carnival!! My DH says it is too far out to get excited & he isn't on the boat yet. I am not gonna let them be wet blankets. I am gonna stay excited, make excursion reservations and have a good time. Good luck and have fun on your cruise.

I do this excited thing with all vacations..trust me. I obsessed over last summer's canoe trip for 8 months before we went.

I don't want them to be as excited as I am, but I would like some enthusiasm when we talk about it...at the very least.

I am so glad I found your post. I have 2 cruises booked this year. First time on a cruise will be 3-12 on the Elation out of Mobile with DSisIL. 2nd on July 3 on the Legend with DH' date=' DD, DSonIL & DGD. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I have researched everything. Nobody is excited but me & my SonIL . My SisIL says she will believe she is on a cruise when she gets on the boat. I finally convinced her to get a passport. She argued with me that she didn't think we needed to printout all the papers from Carnival!! My DH says it is too far out to get excited & he isn't on the boat yet. I am not gonna let them be wet blankets. I am gonna stay excited, make excursion reservations and have a good time. Good luck and have fun on your cruise.[/i']

We are going to be getting our passports very soon and I am not going to PUSH my SIL and BIL into getting their's, I just hope they remember to.

I wish I had 2 cruises booked this year:) that is awesome. Have a great time on YOUR cruise's as well!

I can also relate. I remained patient and continued to plan trips for us and drag husband along. Finally he is an excited traveler. He loves it almost as much as I do. We started with motorcoach touring in Great Britain, but are now hooked on cruising. I don't text so only know a few abbreviations. Someone tell me what a DH and an SIL are. BTW, we set sail from Barcelona to Galveston on Carnival Magic in 275 days. I, too, love counting down to departure.

The more you over-hype, the more dissapointed they will be. Try relaxing. If they don't want to dress up, well, it's not the end of the world if you have dinner at the buffet a few nights. Have a fantastic vacation. Just don't set expectations too high...better for them to be overwhelmed than underwhelmed.

So there are others like me! We are 61 days away from our cruise and this will be our 14th. Am I excited? You betcha! Now my wife, that is a different matter. She likes cruises but if I did not book one, we would not cruise.

I set up several banners on the Guest Bedroom door listing what we need to take. One banner shows all the decks and rooms. I even have a time schedule posted so we get to the port on time. On my I-Touch, I have a picture of the ship and when I select it, it sounds a ship's horn and tell the amount of time before the cruise (Days, hours, minutes and seconds). I visit Cruise Critic several times a day to get the latest and I advise my wife of the important issues. I have set up a Cruise Book with all kinds of data regarding the cruise (Excursions, decks, budget, Fun Times, island descriptions, Fun Pass, Travel Insurance and much more). I have booked several excurions all ready. Today I went through some of my clothes in case I needed to buy some thing. Now I am in the process of checking out the camera and other things we will bring. So you can see, I take this seriously.

Now my wife on the other hand will begin the cruise process about 3 or 4 days before the cruise. Packing is reserved for the day before. Yikes, it drives me crazy! On the other hand, we have never been late or missed a cruise so I guess either process works.

I hear ya on that. We booked a year out and now its finally getting closer. We are leaving a few days early to check out San Diego. I tell him what ppl have said on cc and subscribing to a few threads he can see them from the email and I have to help him get around on the boards. But he is getting more and more excited too (I think). I have bought all that I need and keep looking at all the clothes I want to take, and thinking about all the shoes I need. lol:rolleyes:

I have not read this entire thread and someone else may have said this but here goes.....

These are adults you're sailing with, right? They don't want to listen to your suggestions and tips? The only thing I would stress to them is the I.D. requirements, and explain that if they do not have the proper I.D. they may be denied boarding. After that, they're on their own.

My fam (DH, DB and SIL) doesn't want to talk much about the cruises either, but they don't mind when I make plans for the ports. (We've cruised together for the past five years)

Boy I feel your pain! My DW doesn't really get excited until maybe a week before the cruise. Last year we took a couple of neighbors who had never cruised on our cruise. I put together a cruise binder outlining everything about the ship, menu's and the ports and what we planned to do. I had a cruise calendar as to where we would be and what we had planned to do. They didn't even take the binder with them. They said it was too heavy.

I'll never forget the first night in the Pre-cruise hotel and they walked in the hotel room and asked me where the phone was? Are you kidding me? It's a 12 X 18 foot hotel room. How far can it go. Hey I've got an idea check on the desk! Anyway my point is I guess I did way too much for them. Way before we left on the cruise I gave them Cruise critic web pages, Carnival web pages and other assorted web information. Did they bother to check anything out NO! I should have just let them figure it out on their own like most of us did.

Was it great trip? Yes a good time was had by all. Would I do it again? Probably. They did enjoy themselves and want to go again. With all that being said I'm sure I drove them crazy the 6 months before we left home. I know I drive my wife crazy. Get up early in the morning and check CC. Stay up late check CC. What she doesn't know won't hurt her right?

Wiz

Archived