Closest car rental at the Vancouver port

We are disembarking at 7am on the Princess ship in Vancouver. What is the closest car rental near the port and how do we get there? Will there be any traffic on Saturday?

How long do you think it would take to see Stanley Park, Capilano, Grouse Mountain, and the Olympic area via car? Can these places be paid with US dollars?

From the cruise port to the airport (US flight), what is the cheapest and fastest way?

Major rental firms have booths in the Cruise embarkation area of Canada Place.

Most will shuttle you off the premises to a waiting vehicle compound ....check with a firm of your choice.

Doing Grouse will take a bit of time getting there and up and down the chairlift...plus time on top 3- 4 hrs if you don't dawdle.

Stanley park is a drive through and you could stop several times for quick photo ops and be inside an hour. (I said quick)

The rest of the Olympic sites have mainly disappeared into our working city except for the torch area which is a 15 min walk from Canada Place. (Towards the mountains past Convention centre)

Cheapest & fastest to airport but not the most convenient depending on luggage and what you must manage to carry is the Canada Line. 25-30 mins. Make sure you get a car that goes direct to airport or you will have to change enroute. #2 Taxi.

Remember you must clear US Customs & Immigration at our Airport before you board so you need extra time there.

to add: Traffic early in the morning will be light and will build all day to busy after 10 or so. (guessing a bit here)

• 3 weeks later...

Any car rental will be charged in Canadian Dollars. They might take American at a premium over and above the current exchange rate, and do please be aware that the Canadian Dollar is at the moment stronger than the US Dollar. Better to use your Credit Card which they will want anyways! Don't forget no merchant of any description is obliged to handle foreign currency. If I travel to the US, even 1/2 hour south of the border, I have to use US currency!

We are disembarking at 7am on the Princess ship in Vancouver.

What is the closest car rental near the port and how do we get there?

Will there be any traffic on Saturday?

How long do you think it would take to see Stanley Park, Capilano, Grouse Mountain, and the Olympic area via car?

Can these places be paid with US dollars?

From the cruise port to the airport (US flight), what is the cheapest and fastest way?

There are car rental agencies at the terminal (Budget is one of them), I would check each agency, most generally have agents at the terminal, some are a few blocks away and have shuttles. The situation seems to change year over year.

There will be lots of traffic on a Saturday, Vancouver is a significant city, and like all cities has significant traffic. I rarely drive downtown, it's easier to take the Skytrain; and I live here and know the fast routes.

Stanley Park, Capilano & Grouse Mountain could be done in a day; however, the 'Olympic Area' is spread out over a number of areas ranging from Canada Olympic Place (aka Rogers Arena) in the downtown core, to Whistler mountain, about 120 miles away. Was there specific things you were looking for?

Yes, you can pay with US$, but be reminded that the Canadian Dollar is the only legal tender in Canada, and people accept US$ with a premium attached to it to deal with the cost of handling foreign currency. Right now one Canadian Dollar is worth about US$1.01

Credit cards are the way to go for larger purchases, and for small things, use a US $20 (larger is rarely accepted) and your change will be in C$

Archived