Boston's Black Falcon Cruise Terminal....

sail7seas

It's current use is 'SNOW FARM'.

We have so much snow in Boston there is no place to push, plow or put it.

I just heard on the news that snow from City of Boston streets is being loaded onto trucks and carted over to the parking areas at Black Falcon. They are dumping it where it will sit until it melts if our temperatures ever get above freezing again.

Maasdam may come into Black Falcon in May and see the remaining piles of snow that has not finished melting. :D

Another 10-12" snow predicted for Wednesday into Thursday. :eek: When DH left for his office this morning, the temperature was 1 degree F.

That is so funny. I remember the parking/unloading was chaotic there. I guess it will be really hard to get a spot now LOL.

Whatever happened to global warming? We need a little right now.

Thank you for the laugh. I needed it today.

We have designated "snow dumps" in many spots in Ottawa. Most winters will see city trucks loaded with snow cleared from the streets heading to these places. Yes, still melting away in May.

I don't want to curse us but we don't have much snow this year. We have missed all the major storms and the snow is only up to our knees at the edges of the driveway.

Boston, we feel your pain.:eek:

Deen

Beats me, Jim. I'm sure there is an enviornmental or safety reason????

Our neighborhood is piled so high with snow and driveways are impossible to see out of when pulling out onto the street. We're in a quiet, residential area but still it makes me nervous to pull blindly out with absolutely no visibility.

My neighbor has construction equipment/business and yesterday I heard noise in my driveway. When I looked out, he was in my driveway with his Bobcat pushing snow away from the sides and top of our driveway to give our plow guy more room to push snow from the next storm we are expecting tomorrow. He lowered the huge piles and spread the snow around the yard so it's way better than it was.

How wonderful to have a great neighbor!!!! :)

"Farm"? They're calling it a "snow farm"???? Makes it sound like they're GROWING it there! No wonder there's so much of the stuff around. :eek:

It feels like it's been snowing since the day after Christmas! It's snowing now; there's another 8-12" predicted for tomorrow. I'm so sick of slip-sliding away that I could scream.

I'm just hoping this will all fizzle out by the time I fly out in February.

You know, someone with a horse-drawn sleigh could make a killing right now, taking folks to the store, doctor, etc. ;)

Good point! Right now I wish my car were a sleigh. This afternoon I have to drive a patient to her doctor. Tomorrow morning, different patient, same drive, though. And again Thursday!

Maybe if I quit driving patients the snow will stop????

Hold the horses here! I love every flake of snow that has fallen. At long last we are having a real New England winter. :)

Besides, I haven't been bitten by one mosquito while I have been outside happily shoveling snow. It surely beats doing housework!!!!!! ;)

jhannah said:

I wonder why they don't just dump it in the harbor?

s7s replied:

Beats me, Jim. I'm sure there is an enviornmental or safety reason?

Silly goose; it would dilute the tea.

They used to do that here, way back when. dump it in the St Lawrence but it not enviro friendly too much calcium (salt) and sand. not too good for marine life, even in salt water areas it seems its not too good for the eco system. although a lot probably runs off anyways, it was a practice abandoned around 20 years ago here.

I think also there is quite a bit of oil from leaking cars and from the ashphalt when scraping the roads

Where they pile it here inland after it all melts it sure is a big pile of ulgy sticky greasy slop.

We too have missed all the snow storms

I am retired from the Mass. Port Authority in Boston. For 5 years I was supervisor at Black Falcon,

We used to dump the snow from the BFCT and the neary Conley Container Terminal directly into Boston harbor.

In steps the EPA complaining that the snow contained oil and gas residues which polutes the harbor. Now we let it melt and drain into the harbor. At the container terminal they bought a very expesive "snow melting system" that melts the collected snow and then it drains into the harbor...Go figure!:eek:

I know the Coast Guard stepped in in Philadelphia when the city was dumping snow saying it was -- navigation hazard -- since some times it ended up like ice bergs -- So now it's melted and put through the storm drains that go into the rivers -- really good for the environment as stated above.

I wonder why they don't just dump it in the harbor. It's going to run there once it melts anyway, isn't it? As long as the harbor doesn't freeze, it shouldn't be a problem.

As crazy as it sounds, the city is fined for putting it into the harbor. The Feds considering it polluting due to all the chemicals that come with it from the streets. Oh well, your Government at work....

As crazy as it sounds, the city is fined for putting it into the harbor. The Feds considering it polluting due to all the chemicals that come with it from the streets. Oh well, your Government at work....

But as mma65 pointed out, it ends up there anyway. Just another example of how bureaucracy so often gets in the way.

But as mma65 pointed out, it ends up there anyway. Just another example of how bureaucracy so often gets in the way.

This has been interesting. I wonder if a slow melt/runoff is more easily dispersed throughout the water system, versus a big dump of it all at once, and is therefore preferable? Still damage, but maybe a slower impact?

I have no idea, but do work for an Environmental Agency and usually those sorts of measures are not put into place for an invalid reason. I agree though, so much of what Gov't does doesn't make sense, so it is more likely in alignment with your last sentence. :)

Archived