Did You Miss a Port?

MagnoliaFly

Have you ever had a port cancelled completely after sailing began?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a port cancelled completely after sailing began?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but it was replaced with a different port

January 2006 on Carnival Victory we missed 2 out of 3 ports due to weather......Cozumel (due to prior hurricane damage) and yes, Grand Cayman (too rough to tender into port).....very disappointing as this was the 1st cruise for both of my sons and for my mom (an 80th B-Day gift cruise). Don't think we will get my Mom to try another....so sad!

Have missed one port on each of our last three cruises ( 12 month Span)

Dream - San Juan - "the home port inaugural sailing incident":)

Crown Princess - Princess Cay -weather

Freedom- Key West - Weather- replaced with Cozumel

Fingers crossed on the next one, going to to ports we have not visited before.

Never missed a port in the 8 of my 10 cruises that had ports (did 2 cruises to nowhere.) We did have Cozumel substituted for Costa Maya after Hurricane Dean wiped it out a few years ago, but we were notified of the change a few months before sailing.

I really thought we would miss Roatan week before last on the Valor. We had choppy seas and high winds that morning and it's a really narrow channel into Mahogany Bay, but sure enough, the Captain got us in there. :D

Last cruise we missed Belize after a hurricane. They rerouted our entire cruise, reversing ports, trying unsuccesfully to port in Costa Maya, and then when the weather had calmed down, Belize had too much damage, so we went to Cozumel for the second time. I booked for next fall, trying to get back to Belize. Hope it works out.

Never missed GC!

I'm wondering how often this happens on cruises that have 2+ ports scheduled.

My first cruise we missed the first port due to weather. Some of the other passengers said that particular port (Grand Cayman) is missed about 70% of the time so it wasn't a big surprise to them. The big problem was the fact that it was a tender port so the little boats didn't have a chance with 20 foot waves.

On the cruises you've been on how often have you missed a port completely and not had it replaced with something else?

Never missed a port, including 2 Gr. Gayman visits.

On the Conquest cruise of 9/26/2010, missed 2 ports. Jamaica was due to weather and GC was due to port close down. Neither were Carnival's fault, but the staff went out of their way to make all guests comfortable and entertained. A cruise is not for the ports, but for the experience of cruisinf itself.

Missed GC Feb 10..So sad!!! My favorite port..

And then there was the Ecstasy cruise to nowhere because of H1N1...Cruised around the Gulf for 5 days...Very relaxful though!!! Never have had 5 days of doing whatever I wanted, when I wanted!!!

We have only been on 4 cruises!!! #5 coming up!!!:D

Six cruises, no missed ports. Have hade itinerary changes PRIOR to cruises. Been to GC 3 times. I know that it is a frequently missed port but I too would say that 70% is high. I seriously doubt that it's missed that often.

Grand Cayman is often missed. However, 70% is on the high side.

Missed St Maarten on my honeymoon cruise in May 2002 on the Pride. They told us it was for high seas. One or two days later, the captain announced that it was actually due to a bomb threat on the island. He kept apologing for lying about it, but didn't want to scare people. The cruise left out of port Canaveral on May 18, 2002.

Of the cruises we've been on so far:

1. Missed Roatan once due to what Carnival called "civil unrest"
  2. Missed Cozumel once due to the H1N1 scare, the stop was replaced with Key West (this was changed PRIOR to boarding so I wouldn't count it)
  3. Missed Mahogany Bay in Roatan once due to wind, was able to dock at Cozen Hole instead

Not too bad overall. Some people have missed Grand Cayman due to weather but we're 3 for 3 there.

Of the cruises we've been on so far:

1. Missed Roatan once due to what Carnival called "civil unrest"
  2. Missed Cozumel once due to the H1N1 scare, the stop was replaced with Key West (this was changed PRIOR to boarding so I wouldn't count it)
  3. Missed Mahogany Bay in Roatan once due to wind, was able to dock at Cozen Hole instead

Not too bad overall. Some people have missed Grand Cayman due to weather but we're 3 for 3 there.

I remember reading about the Honduras civil unrest a few years ago! Seems to be settled now.

Maybe I just had beginners bad luck with our first cruise port ever. Seems lots of people do get into Grand Cayman.

I'm wondering how often this happens on cruises that have 2+ ports scheduled.

My first cruise we missed the first port due to weather. Some of the other passengers said that particular port (Grand Cayman) is missed about 70% of the time so it wasn't a big surprise to them. The big problem was the fact that it was a tender port so the little boats didn't have a chance with 20 foot waves.

On the cruises you've been on how often have you missed a port completely and not had it replaced with something else?

I think GC is MADE 70% is closer to accurate, and it's probably better than that.

The yes votes are up to 88% but that's misleading, 88% of the respondants have missed a port and the question the OP is wanting to know is how often this happens.

In 21 cruises I've been on 2 ships that missed ports, that's 9% of my cruises have had a missed port. I missed San Juan on the Dream in 2009 because of an obstruction at the pier. I missed MoBay and GC on the Conquest in 2010 due to weather.

I've been scheduled to go to approximatly 66 ports and I've missed 3 so that's a 4% miss rate.

While ports can be missed for a variety of reasons at any time of year the time of year with the highest probability for missing Caribbean ports is August through October. Avoid sailing during those months and your chances of missing a port are further reduced.

The yes votes are up to 88% but that's misleading, 88% of the respondants have missed a port and the question the OP is wanting to know is how often this happens.

In 21 cruises I've been on 2 ships that missed ports, that's 9% of my cruises have had a missed port. I missed San Juan on the Dream in 2009 because of an obstruction at the pier. I missed MoBay and GC on the Conquest in 2010 due to weather.

I've been scheduled to go to approximatly 66 ports and I've missed 3 so that's a 4% miss rate.

Yes, not scientific. Because you could have someone with 5 cruises and every one missed a port, or someone with 50 cruises and missed a port just once and they are going to answer to question the same.

Yes, not scientific. Because you could have someone with 5 cruises and every one missed a port, or someone with 50 cruises and missed a port just once and they are going to answer to question the same.

The poll system isn't set up to really do a scientific poll so this was more informal. :)

Archived