Safety of Kids in own room?

donnam504

I would book connecting cabins.

the beverage person let herself into my children's cabin at about 6 am on the last morning.

What is a beverage person or ANY RCCL employee doing entering ANY cabin at 6am? Wouldn't they need to wait until after 7 and then knock (unless they saw pax leave for breakfast). I'd be furious. Can they enter with deadbolt on too? I know they can always get in if they need to but would it take special measures to open a door with the bolt on?

I was thinking this exact same thing! If you turn the bolt when you're in your room I don't think the steward pass key (or anyone else's for that matter) will open the door. I'm sure they can get it open but it would require some work on the lock if the bolt is turned.

I was thinking this exact same thing! If you turn the bolt when you're in your room I don't think the steward pass key (or anyone else's for that matter) will open the door. I'm sure they can get it open but it would require some work on the lock if the bolt is turned.

I always thought that a standard metal key, held by security was needed if the door was deadbolted, the card key would not open the door

To the OP, we have done the separate room (across the hall, booked into their own cabin from start) since our kids were 11 (almost 12) & 16. Make sure to go through your rules with them, check in often and make sure to get a key to their cabin for your use. We also get a key for the kids for our cabin. However, you are the only one that knows your kids and need to make the final call on how comfortable you are with it. My DD (older of the 2) is very responsible while DS likes to push the rules.

Someone mentioned a cruise contract. Here is the one I put together my kids through reading these boards and picking up tips. We don't have them sign it but do go over the rules before each trip. Take what you can from it. One suggestion is to make sure to give consequences if they do not follow rules and follow through. We've had to with DS once. After that he's been pretty good.

First of all we want all of us to have fun. This should be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. We hope that noting our expectations and rules before we depart will avoid any misunderstandings on-board. Note that violation of these rules will result in you being required to stay with us or in your cabin and therefore you will not be able to participate in any of the teen activities. These rules are not in place to say that we do not trust you, but to ensure we can all enjoy our trip.

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. It does not matter if it is the cabin of a new friend or someone we know (unless one of us expressly approves this).

• No one else is to enter our cabins.

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any RCCL employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or an RCCL staff member. You are not to drink from anything you have let out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks. This is a lifelong rule that should be followed in any social situation.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run” or calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• We will decide on a curfew each night. The ship’s curfew is 1 AM since you are under 18. We have the right to require you to be in the cabin earlier if we feel the need.

• Your Sea Pass is tied to my credit card. It is to be used only by you. You may not buy other people drinks, snacks, arcade games, or souvenirs. You have a budget of $xx. If you exceed this budget without our approval, you will need to reimburse us.

• If you loose your Seapass you are to immediately notify one of us.

• We expect to eat dinner together most nights. There is flexibility if there is an alternate activity you would prefer to attend as long as we have discussed it in advance (at least that morning).

• If there are kids you would prefer to hang out with instead of the teen club, I need to meet them.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this.

• If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it then you are “grounded” for the next 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• No visits to the outside areas of the upper deck at night alone.

• Put anything of value into the cabin safe. Cell phones are only to be taken out of the safe when we ask you to. Texts and calls are expensive and not in your budget.

• Do not leave the ship without one of us.

Going on the Explorer in June and I have three children that are 8, 10 and 13. We have ajoining rooms and I'm so glad. Its a comfort level for me. Already laid the ground rules with the 13 year old. If she makes some friends that I meet they can run during the day but not in the evening. Anything can happen and I'd never forgive myself.

I would get connecting cabins. I wouldn't want my 10 y/o in a cabin without an adult. And if they put the deadbolt on at night mom and dad can't get into their room if they need to even if you have an extra key :eek:

Correct, but in this instance,the door to the kids cabin is around the corner, that's when it becomes a No No!!

Hmmmm - on our last Mariner cruise, our kids were booked into their own cabin that was diagonally across and three doors down from ours.

Really? You had the Junior Suite with the Inside Cabin around the corner down the side hallway?

I am surprised at the number of people who assume that their particular situation translates to the exact cruise and passenger demographics the OP is on. Not knowing who is going to be booked in the cabin next to them, not being able to hear if they are coming and going, and not knowing what 'friends' that they will make on the cruise and invite back to the cabin to play? Regardless of what ground rules you lay down, if it were my particular situation I would prefer that they would be in an adjoining cabin or directly across from my stateroom's front doorway. Safety cannot be taken for granted and sure maybe statistically odds in their favor that something won't happen, but it only takes one incident or one person to compromise that feeling that everything on a cruise ship of 4000 people is always going to 'be just fine'

No, we had a D aft, with an inside around the corner a few doors down (but we were on the corner).

and yes my kids were safe. We knew where they were every min of the day. Better then we know during a normal week at home when they walk/bus from school. And if they are 10 mins late, I am on the the school etc.

GEt off your high horse, you know nothing about how some of us watch our kids. I had a key to their room- they had rules, and there wasn't a day that I wasn't up before them, or to bed after them. And knew where they were.

No, we had a D aft, with an inside around the corner a few doors down (but we were on the corner).

and yes my kids were safe. We knew where they were every min of the day. Better then we know during a normal week at home when they walk/bus from school. And if they are 10 mins late, I am on the the school etc.

GEt off your high horse, you know nothing about how some of us watch our kids. I had a key to their room- they had rules, and there wasn't a day that I wasn't up before them, or to bed after them. And knew where they were.

I am not in the least bit critical of your parenting as you described it.

I just wanted to add this:

A couple of years ago, a family was cruising in two cabins. The 2 daughters had their own cabin. (this was NOT a Royal Caribbean cruise).

The daughters returned to their cabin at night, checking in with the parents, who then went to sleep.

Some time later, one of the girls, without waking her sister, got up, left the cabin, and ended up going overboard.

I am NOT suggesting that this is a likely or common scenario. I am just noting that having them check in with you and "going to bed before you" does NOT guarantee that they won't wait until you are asleep and go out again! :eek:

To the OP: akcruz makes many good points (especially about the sea pass charges:D).

Our first cruise was on Carnival and our kids ranged from 7 to 12. They had the cabin next door to ours but it wasn't connecting. The only problem we had was when the 12 yr old was told to meet us at the cabin at 3:00 but chose to come back at 2:45, write us a note and leave again. She spent the rest of the day and night skipping all activities and sitting in her cabin.

The other cruise was on Disney last year, kids were from 10 to 13 (the oldest didn't go this time) and they had a connecting cabin. No problems with the 13 yr old girl going off by herself and the two boys mostly stayed together if they weren't in childrens programs.

I'm looking for another cruise now and while it would be cheaper to put them in a cabin with us, part of the enjoyment of the cruise for all of us is being in separate cabins. They can watch TV all night and I can go to sleep at 9 p.m., plus we don't have to share a bathroom or living space. :)

You know your children better than we do. If you aren't going to be comfortable or are going to be worried all the time, it will impact your vacation. Do what's best for YOU this time, then you can adjust on your next cruise if you want to. Happy sailing!

Well, my daughter has snuck out of the room after we had all gone to bed and she also went off the ship with some friends that she had made on the cruise. I also set the rules down and felt confident that she would obey them but I was wrong.

I am not in the least bit critical of your parenting as you described it.

I just wanted to add this:

A couple of years ago, a family was cruising in two cabins. The 2 daughters had their own cabin. (this was NOT a Royal Caribbean cruise).

The daughters returned to their cabin at night, checking in with the parents, who then went to sleep.

Some time later, one of the girls, without waking her sister, got up, left the cabin, and ended up going overboard.

I am NOT suggesting that this is a likely or common scenario. I am just noting that having them check in with you and "going to bed before you" does NOT guarantee that they won't wait until you are asleep and go out again! :eek:

If this girl snuck out of a cabin, this could have happened if the parents were in the same cabin with her. Or at home for that matter. I dont think your kids are any more or less safe in a seperate cabin on a ship than in any given scenario of everyday life at home. Anything can happen, any time, any day, any place and to anyone.

What is a beverage person or ANY RCCL employee doing entering ANY cabin at 6am? Wouldn't they need to wait until after 7 and then knock (unless they saw pax leave for breakfast). I'd be furious. Can they enter with deadbolt on too? I know they can always get in if they need to but would it take special measures to open a door with the bolt on?

We were furious, apparently the new procedure for the in cabin mini bar is to have the beverage staff come check the mini bar before passengers leave the ship. The woman who was tasked with this for our floor literally pushed her way past the cabin steward to let herself in my children's room insisting that she was going to do her job. I met her at the door as she walked in.

The cabin steward apologized many many times for the intrusion even though it was not his fault. It was a very disturbing experience and we had some debate about cruising again after this incident. I wrote to RCCL after the cruise and have as yet received no response.

Archived