Ag liine at San Juan Airport

When I went through SJU (Jan 2010), I had to get my carry-on bag run through the Ag line. My mom and I had used the luggage valet service so we didn't have to check any bags at the airport. I had a medium-sized back-pack and my purse. When I tried to get into the security line, the person checking boarding passes & ID told me that I could not get in line without an Ag sticker on my pack. My mom just had her purse but she didn't have to send that through the Ag scanner. It seemed like they were checking for stickers on large carry-ons but not purses, brief cases, or small tote bags. Fortunately the Ag line was short so it only took a few minutes to get the sticker.

When I went through SJU (Jan 2010), I had to get my carry-on bag run through the Ag line. My mom and I had used the luggage valet service so we didn't have to check any bags at the airport. I had a medium-sized back-pack and my purse. When I tried to get into the security line, the person checking boarding passes & ID told me that I could not get in line without an Ag sticker on my pack. My mom just had her purse but she didn't have to send that through the Ag scanner. It seemed like they were checking for stickers on large carry-ons but not purses, brief cases, or small tote bags. Fortunately the Ag line was short so it only took a few minutes to get the sticker.
I guess not too surprising that different passengers encounter different personnel and different results. I had no problem getting my 22 inch rollerboard through Security with no Ag sticker within the last three months. I am citing below the official words from the Code of Federal Regulations [Bold face added by me; regulation continues beyond this]. If you were made to return to the checked luggage Ag line, I'd say the official was wrong, but will also say that arguing with them is probably a losing proposition.

Thom

TITLE 7 - AGRICULTURE

SUBTITLE B - REGULATIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

CHAPTER III - ANIMAL AND PLANT HEALTH INSPECTION SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

PART 318 - HAWAIIAN AND TERRITORIAL QUARANTINE NOTICES

318.58 - 10 - Inspection of baggage, other personal effects, and cargo.

(a) Offer for inspection by aircraft passengers. Passengers destined for movement by aircraft from Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands of the United States to any other State, Territory, or District of the United States, except Guam, shall offer their carry-on baggage and other personal effects for inspection at the place marked for agricultural inspections, which will be located at the airport security checkpoint or the aircraft boarding gate, at the time they pass through the checkpoint or the gate. Passengers shall offer their check-in baggage for inspection at agricultural inspection stations prior to submitting their baggage to the check-in baggage facility. When an inspector has inspected and passed such baggage or personal effects, he or she shall apply a USDA stamp, inspection sticker, or other identification to the baggage or personal effects to indicate that the baggage or personal effects have been inspected and passed as required...

PS There is supposed to be an Ag official on-call at the concourse security station in case the security inspectors flag something. Possibly they were missing that official and that required your being sent back to the checked baggage inspection. [Just trying to think of explanations that don 't make the line wardens look too bad.}

I spoke with Royal about this several days and they are pleased to announce that the luggage valet service is up and running for AOS and Serenade in San Juan. I was pleased to hear it.

Kat

Yay, hope it holds up thru May. Sounds like on the Ag line you to ask about carryons and guess changes from time to time.

Dave

On the thought of "what are they checking for?"...

Part of my shopping plans are for bottled hot sauces (assume these are OK) and powdered/ground spices and maybe coffee. Anything to be aware of on these or any other items? I assume fresh fruits an veggies are the main target but anything roasted, dried or processed should be OK right?

Thom,

I may have simply gone to the wrong Ag line - checked one vs. carry-on one. I've only been through the SJU airport twice. The security guy pointed in the general direction of the airline check-in counters. I headed in that direction but wasn't sure where to go so I asked another official where to get an Ag sticker. He directed me to an alcove by the check-in counters. There were only 3 people in line before me so it only took a couple minutes to run my pack through the machine.

Sequim88,

I brought back some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few other spices from Grenada last year. The people there will tell you that it's okay to bring back any spices, but that's not entirely correct according to the customs official that I spoke with at the port. He said the spices must be in a factory sealed package. There are a some places where you can put coffee beans or spices in plastic bags with twist ties, like produce at the grocery store. He said those are supposed to be confiscated. All of my spices were in sealed packages and put in my checked bag. I used luggage valet so didn't see my checked bag again until I got to my home airport. All the spices were still inside but I did have a note that my bag had been inspected.

On the thought of "what are they checking for?"...

Part of my shopping plans are for bottled hot sauces (assume these are OK) and powdered/ground spices and maybe coffee. Anything to be aware of on these or any other items? I assume fresh fruits an veggies are the main target but anything roasted, dried or processed should be OK right?

The items you list should be okay. Pests, items that can carry pest [such as fruit flies within fruits and vegetables] and plants or seeds that would be deemed troublesome invasives are the main things that are being looked for. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/fsheet_faq_notice/notice_PPQ-puerto.html has a list of approved and forbidden items.

Thom

Archived