American Airlines

scumbers

Hi

we are flyin from the UK using american airlines - does anyone know what they are like? has anyone compared them to virgin / ba etc?

cheers

We haven't flown those other lines but have used American frequently. It is ok. Some of our flights have been better than others, based mainly on the mix of passengers and the flight attendants. I'm sure you will have an enjoyable flight ( although it is fairly long isn't it?) Coach seats tend to be pretty close together without much leg room if you are tall. If you can upgrade to first class once you get to the airport that would be a good thing for your comfort! Have a great trip.

Hi

we are flyin from the UK using american airlines - does anyone know what they are like? has anyone compared them to virgin / ba etc?

cheers

Depends on acft type if you are flying on B777 the coach seating is 2/5/2, on B767 its 2/4/2 and B757 its 3/3. So if it is me I would try for one the 2 seats together. That way you are not stuck in a middle seat. Most of AA flights out of LHR are B777. Hope that helps.

I would check your flight detail as far as aircraft type. If it is 767 you will be fine and service is good. If it a 757 you will be a bit cramped as they seem to have added seats in coach. If you are business or first class it wont matter.

The 757 has the same seat count in coach whether it's the traditional (http://goo.gl/Qn4E1) or the transatlantic (http://goo.gl/ctK1m). I've read that the transatlantic planes have a different coach seat with headrests and when the person in front of you reclines, their seat bottom moves forward, so you don't lose legroom.

Depends on acft type if you are flying on B777 the coach seating is 2/5/2, on B767 its 2/4/2 and B757 its 3/3. So if it is me I would try for one the 2 seats together. That way you are not stuck in a middle seat. Most of AA flights out of LHR are B777. Hope that helps.

It's 2-3-2, on the 767, actually. See http://goo.gl/F5Us6

• 1 year later...

I'm just going to assume it's a 777-200, since most flights on AA out of LHR are. The odds are greatly on the side of it being a 777-200.

The comfort itself is standard...I notice very little difference to BA. It has been years since I have flown Virgin, so I cannot compare to that. However, a BA 777 and an AA 777 have very, very little difference inside - the only real difference is 2-5-2 versus 3-3-3. Some people like 2-5-2, some like 3-3-3, so it's all preference. If there are only two of you going, a 2-5-2 layout can be ideal if you can snag the two seats together and only have to suffer through each other ;)

Entertainment is slightly better on BA, but not much. Screens are small, movie selection isn't great. BA has a better on-demand entertainment system and a few more choices, so I give BA an advantage here. On a short UK to US flight, you won't really notice the lack of movies/TV shows too much...it's when you get on US to Japan or India flights (13-15 hours) that it really starts to get bad.

Food won't be great in either case, and I would say it's about a wash - I've had OK meals on both AA and BA, and I've had atrocious meals on both AA and BA. Service is slightly worse on AA then it is on BA (on average), though I have had fantastic service on both and terrible service on both.

I guess this is just a long way of saying...well, they're pretty close to being the same. You'll be just fine on AA.

Archived