Thankyou thankyou thankyou HAL FYI

hoidada

I think the OP explained why they booked the way they did and it has been missed by others.

There were zero insides available for booking at the time except Guaranteed I. Please explain the questionable upgrade mentioned.

I don`t consider a fully obstructed to a desired inside an upgrade. You might review the layout of the ship to understand my concern., and please do not belittle my legitimate post.

Their preference was always for an inside cabin, but at the time of booking the only inside they could book was the I guarantee. Whether others think that the assigned cabin is a better cabin is irrelevant, as the OP's preferred cabin is an inside.

To the OP -- hopefully you will come back to this thread-- as a suggestion -- Perhaps you could contact your TA or PCC and explain that your preference is for an inside cabin. Maybe it can be switched, as I am sure there are many who have been assigned an inside and would love to have your cabin. Or another possibility is to check your roll call and see if there is someone who has been assigned an inside and would consider looking into switching once onboard.

To all that might comment that HAL does not make changes to guarantees once they have been assigned. I realize that is the standard operating procedure but I doubt the request is often made to what many consider to be a down-grade.

If you don't at least ask you will never know.

OP I hope you can sort it out but where ever you end up I wish you a most enjoyable cruise.

Rochelle

Whether others think that the assigned cabin is a better cabin is irrelevant, as the OP's preferred cabin is an inside.

I'd say whether the OP prefers an inside is irrelevant as regards to the booking of a guarantee made with HAL. The rules are rather simple.

To all that might comment that HAL does not make changes to guarantees once they have been assigned. I realize that is the standard operating procedure but I doubt the request is often made to what many consider to be a down-grade.
If everyone that doesn't like their guarantee assignment starts haggling with HAL it will turn into a huge mess.

I'd say whether the OP prefers an inside is irrelevant as regards to the booking of a guarantee made with HAL. The rules are rather simple.

If everyone that doesn't like their guarantee assignment starts haggling with HAL it will turn into a huge mess.

Peter,

I do agree with you.

My point in posting though was that people were attacking the OP because they did not book a specific cabin in the category they preferred. As I understand this, that is what the OP would have liked to have done but could not. I think a lot of people on the attack missed them saying that.

Perhaps, if an inside cabin was that important the OP should not have booked this speciific cruise when only Guarantee I was available. Or waited to see if inside cabins opened up at a later date.

But they did book and the result of cabin roulette was not to their liking as you say. I was merely making a suggestion at how they might try and rectify the issue beforehand. It is just a question they can pose to their TA. Worst case scenario is they end up in the cabin they have been assigned. But if they do manage to get it changed I would hope they would not post that on these boards as, once again I agree with you, everyone would be asking and that would be a mess indeed.

Rochelle

Many THX Rochelle S, it may be we went to the same school of logic, the intent of my post was missed by the majority.

Its not about expected upgrade.Posters misunderstandings will not deter us from having a wonderful cruise with HAL as before .

Many THX Rochelle S, it may be we went to the same school of logic, the intent of my post was missed by the majority.

Its not about expected upgrade.Posters misunderstandings will not deter us from having a wonderful cruise with HAL as before .

Yes, I guess we are not as bright as the 2 of you:rolleyes:. Please, next time if the type of cabin you want is not available then don't book the cruise. If I booked a cruise and wanted an outside room and they gave me a balcony I really don't have a leg to stand on when I complain about it. If you book a guarentee, that's the chance you take. Maybe this was a good learning lesson if nothing else.

Hoidada, I've followed this thread, but haven't chimed in until now.

Many people who book their first "guarantee" think it means you're guaranteed a cabin in the category you book. While you now know that isn't how it works, in my opinion people could have read between the lines, like Rochelle_S did, and explained what happened in a more friendly way.

You've been a member here for a year, and have a loyal history with HAL, but with under 10 posts, are clearly not addicted to this board like some of us. :D It's easy to forget normal people don't always know the ins and outs of cruise booking which board addicts take for granted. With more online discount booking, and fewer good travel agents to rely on, there's no one to explain these details.

I honestly think you'll enjoy your HH. On most ships, an obstructed view cabin means a lifeboat is parked in front of your window. Not so on Ryndam. While there are a couple cabins where the window is truly blocked by a crew stairway, in most of the "obstructed" cabins you can still catch a glimpse of the water. Please come back and let us know. I for one will be waiting with a smile on my face.

You forgot one last point: there is no pleasing some people

igraf

I would have been very content to receive a cabin as guaranteed and incidentally the one I prefer. Unfortunately, HAL seems to not understand this as well as HAL cruisers. What is the sense in looking forward to a guarantee when HAL can choose anything they consider better.

So to review..

Lower is better than higher in a ship. DUH

Guaranteed category means you get what is convenient for HAL not you. DUH

A fully obstructed view is better than a dsired inside..DUH

This is my last post on this subject. THX again to all who replied.

hoidada,

Glad you came back.

I feel your explanation was just missed and that it was not that people were intentionally on the attack, although I can see how you might have possibly felt that way.

The HAL boards for the most part is a very friendly and helpful place. I hope we did not scare you off. Lots of good information to be gained from the many members here, including exactly how those guarantees work. ;)

Most importantly I was happy to read that you will not let your cabin assignment ruin your cruise.

Wishing you a wonderful trip.

Rochelle

Lower is better than higher in a ship. DUH

Not everyone feels that way - why do you think higher deck cabisn ae more expensive? Supply and demand!

Guaranteed category means you get what is convenient for HAL not you. DUH

Well, that's what a guarentee is - you give the option HAL to select the cabin in your selected category or higher.

A fully obstructed view is better than a dsired inside..DUH

For many people it is - I for one prefer some natural light.

My comments in red

Reply to BOYTJIE

1) Why do u think a CAT I was booked. Huge diff between 9,10 and 6

2) My error in believing HAL could deliver

3) I am elated that you have seen the light

What I was trying to point out that your assumptions (e.g. that lower is better than higher) is not universal. So your DUHs do not reflect a general truth.

HAL delivered what was promised.

#3 is a funny pun.

As a final to my OP, I would like to affirm, that I really do like HAL for the choices they offer. I don`t enjoy bashing or being argumentive.

Please CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING WORDS CARFULLY.

``Guarantee`` has a specific text definition that HAL has chosen to re define in order to suit thier purposes,hence the games to which I have previously referred.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN COMMONLY DECENT TO CONTACT ME BY ANY OF THE AVAILABLE SOURCES TO ASK IF THIER SO CALLED UPGRADE WAS ACCEPTABLE. THEY DID NOT,.AND I DISLIKE ANYONE MAKING DECISIONS ON MY BEHALF AS TO WHAT I WOULD LIKE WITHOUT NOTICE.

TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED, HAPPY CRUISING. I WILL UPDATE AT CRUISE END.

I would be happy with ANY cabin! I can't wait for our cruise in April as temperatures here have been below zero! Any cabin on a DAM ship is a good cabin! How long are you in there anyway? We only use it to shower, change, and drop into bed after an exhausting fun filled day!:cool:

<SNIP>``Guarantee`` has a specific text definition that HAL has chosen to re define in order to suit thier purposes,hence the games to which I have previously referred.

As have most other cruise lines, this practice is not unique to Hal at all.

Call it a "game" if you wish but if you're going to play, know the rules...

As a final to my OP, I would like to affirm, that I really do like HAL for the choices they offer. I don`t enjoy bashing or being argumentive.

Please CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING WORDS CARFULLY.

``Guarantee`` has a specific text definition that HAL has chosen to re define in order to suit thier purposes,hence the games to which I have previously referred.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN COMMONLY DECENT TO CONTACT ME BY ANY OF THE AVAILABLE SOURCES TO ASK IF THIER SO CALLED UPGRADE WAS ACCEPTABLE. THEY DID NOT,.AND I DISLIKE ANYONE MAKING DECISIONS ON MY BEHALF AS TO WHAT I WOULD LIKE WITHOUT NOTICE.

TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED, HAPPY CRUISING. I WILL UPDATE AT CRUISE END.

Here is what HAL says about it:

Guaranteed Stateroom

Unfortunately, we are not able to guarantee stateroom location. Guests are guaranteed to be assigned a stateroom in the category selected or higher. Guests will be notified when their stateroom has been assigned

There is nothing there about checking with you first whether you approve of it. You agreed to this when you booked and HAL fullfilled their side of the agreement.

Here is what HAL says about it:

Guaranteed Stateroom

Unfortunately, we are not able to guarantee stateroom location. Guests are guaranteed to be assigned a stateroom in the category selected or higher. Guests will be notified when their stateroom has been assigned

There is nothing there about checking with you first whether you approve of it. You agreed to this when you booked and HAL fullfilled their side of the agreement.

Stop making sense:D;). The OP just doesn't get it.

How about taking a little personal responsibility here. YOU are the one who didn't inquire about what you were purchasing. YOU are the one who didn't do her research. YOU are the one who gave HAL permission to assign you the cabin they did.

HAL did nothing they did not tell you they were going to to---if only you had listened.

Hell I am from "the Landdownunder" and I definetly don't get it....

a guarrantee is only what you are guarranteed as a minimum if you go from in to out surely that is an upgrade....

don't want an upgrade then say NO UPGRADE PLEASE!......I book what I want then I have no issue as I know what I am getting...

maybe it's the weather!!! ...what the op could do is just tell HAL please put me back to an I internal cabin....enough or I'll go blind!!!

just my AUS $ worth :D

Ciao,

Cristiano

Hell I am from "the Landdownunder" and I definetly don't get it....

a guarrantee is only what you are guarranteed as a minimum if you go from in to out surely that is an upgrade....

don't want an upgrade then say NO UPGRADE PLEASE!......I book what I want then I have no issue as I know what I am getting...

maybe it's the weather!!! ...what the op could do is just tell HAL please put me back to an I internal cabin....enough or I'll go blind!!!

just my AUS $ worth :D

Ciao,

Cristiano

Yes, but just so no one else is confused you can't mark your cabin no upgrade if you have a guarentee. If you do not want HAL to pick for you and all that is available...then don't book the cruise.

How about taking a little personal responsibility here. YOU are the one who didn't inquire about what you were purchasing. YOU are the one who didn't do her research. YOU are the one who gave HAL permission to assign you the cabin they did.

HAL did nothing they did not tell you they were going to to---if only you had listened.

But it's so much more fun to blame everyone else:D;)!

But it's so much more fun to blame everyone else:D;)!

I'm not so sure it is more fun, but it is definitely easier! ;)

To the OP: I'm sorry things worked out the way they did, hope you do end up having a marvelous cruise, and that the cabin turns out to be much better than you fear. As others have pointed out, the booking terms are not hidden in fine print, but prominently disclosed. You had a choice to not book this cruise on this ship at this time. You chose to take the risk but insist on blaming the cruise line for following its standard procedure.

FWIW (admittedly not much, but I'll say it anyway) it seems to me that your initial posts set the subsequent tone of the conversation. At the same time, I've never found complaining about the behavior of others mirroring one's own behavior to be very effective. As always, YMMV.

Archived