mexico security...

rjnaz

maybe instead of doing the mexico riviera Princess should think about expanding their hawaii 15 day cruise to year around.. also create a seven day coastal like their oct 1st 2011 cruise year round...we did a 7 day on carnival from LA to Astoria,Victoria, Vancouver and back to LA...it was great....demand should be good for all these cruises.....hugs:p

I would love to see Princess do more Coastal cruises up and down the west coast. We are still considering a Mexican Riviera cruise this spring regardless of the security issues as we will simply stay on the ship if we feel uncomfortable, but I think it would be a great idea for Princess to consider more options on the west coast.

Many are trying to escape to warmer climates though, and I would really doubt they could fill ships on a regular basis to go up the coast of California. For those that live on the West Coast just looking for a ship, they would be popular, but I doubt they would be able to get many flying in for a cruise like this. IMHO! I know it wouldn't interest us in the least.

maybe instead of doing the mexico riviera Princess should think about expanding their hawaii 15 day cruise to year around.. also create a seven day coastal like their oct 1st 2011 cruise year round...we did a 7 day on carnival from LA to Astoria,Victoria, Vancouver and back to LA...it was great....demand should be good for all these cruises.....hugs:p

or limit the Mexico Rivera cruise dont get rid of them completely but limit the number and add more coastal or hawaii, but I hope they dont stop going to Mexico b/c I havent been there yet and would like to one day on Princess

Dh and I are booked for a round trip out of L.A. It goes to Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego and a short stint in Ensanada. Dh and I won't be getting off the ship for the last one. :(

It's kind of hard to find but the Princess site has it. One on Sept 24-Oct 1st and the next Oct 1st to 8th.

I just read an article that said many cruise lines are canceling port stops at Mazatlan, because of security problems. HAL will be stopping at Manzanillo instead. I would rather ships just spend more time in Cabo instead. In fact, I would love it if the ship would just park in Cabo's bay, and stay several days until it was time to head home. I usually won't even get off the ship at the other ports.

We didn't find stoping in Cabo particularly comforting the last time. There were so many cops armed with some pretty scary weapons. We asked one about a hair dresser someone had told me about just off the port, and he told me the address was two blocks up, but not safe for Americans. My husband has some interesting pictures with several of those guns pointed at someone in an alley..I assume the person was doing something wrong. It made us so uncomfortable, compared to the time before we had been there, that we went back to the ship..and the port itself was lined with many police holding the same scary guns.

It might have been to make us feel safer, but all it did was make us wonder why they felt they had to.

I just read an article that said many cruise lines are canceling port stops at Mazatlan, because of security problems. HAL will be stopping at Manzanillo instead. I would rather ships just spend more time in Cabo instead. In fact, I would love it if the ship would just park in Cabo's bay, and stay several days until it was time to head home. I usually won't even get off the ship at the other ports.

it was ok .i really dont see why all the hubbub is about maz.the guy got shot in the foot .i live in vegas tourists get shot all the time .we walked from downtown to the ship in dec we didnt have any troubles,

I'm guessing you don't work for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority . . . ?

We on the west coast really are really starved for itineraries...I would dearly love to see a 14 or 15 day itinerary that during the winter went south making a stop in Mexico, a couple in Central America, Panama City, touched into south America and returned.

Add a 14 or a 15 day cruises would work for us but most cruisers can not vacation that long. I doubt they could fill the ship month after month and that is what it would require.

As for the ports in Mexico most of them I believe are safe but I can understand why the cruise lines will pull out.

At least Princess is adjusting the schedule for the Sapphire, sending it on several Hawaiian runs in place of the Mexico itinerary for this year and, even more, for next year.

Unfortunately, Princess doesn't have any summer itineraries on the west coast south of the Northwest ones to Alaska. It sure would be nice to have some other options for those of us on the west coast for the summer. I don't think I'm the only one who can't go on a cruise at the repo times (late September and early May).

We on the west coast really are really starved for itineraries...I would dearly love to see a 14 or 15 day itinerary that during the winter went south making a stop in Mexico, a couple in Central America, Panama City, touched into south America and returned.

Me too Putterdude. I'd like a WC cruise from Vancouver thru Seattle, Portland (Astoria), SF, Long Beach, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ensanada then I guess back to San Diego. Nice 10 day cruise.

And another Vancouver, LA, Canal transit & down to SA - Brazil. Chile, Argentina . . . whatever for a 14 day + cruise with heavy empahasis on South American ports (not including Cartagena). :)

And maybe one (out of Vancouver) thru the canal to the Mexican Gulf Coast Cozumel, New Orleans and . . .

Frankly I'm not to interested in cruising to Hawaii unless it was another 20 day or so ongoing to Fiji & Tahiti -- best deal would be connecting with another cruise to New Zealand/Australia. :) I can dream. :D

As to Mexico - I see little to no point ( mostly NO POINT ) in cruises pulling out of Mex itineraries. Mex is just as safe as Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, LA, Chicago, Detroit . . . so that is just plain silly.

I hope Princess doesn't abandon the 7-day cruises out of Los Angeles like NCL and RCL are doing. There are some of us who like them, and/or want choices in cruises that are within a day's drive.

I wish that Princess would offer some Partial Panama Canal Cruises from LA, instead of more Hawaii. They used to do it. I think Sapphire is too wide, but there are others which could do it. We did that Itinerary before, and I'd do it again. I know there are cruises that go LA --> FLL, but again, unless you want to fly, you have to go for about a month, and that's a long time and a lot more $$$.

I was on the Sapphire's Christmas Cruise to Mexican Riviera this year. I met many multi-generational groups who had done this for multiple years. Many of those groups seemed to include a widowed grandmother, who probably spearheaded the trips. This year there is no such cruise. Sapphire is doing a Hawaiian Christmas Cruise, at more than twice the price PP. I wonder if they will be able to fill the ship (that will be two ships to Hawaii for Christmas), especially at prices that are more than double the previous (shorter) cruise.

Just sayin...and I do have a dog in this :)

Add a 14 or a 15 day cruises would work for us but most cruisers can not vacation that long. I doubt they could fill the ship month after month and that is what it would require.

As for the ports in Mexico most of them I believe are safe but I can understand why the cruise lines will pull out.

I guess Princess is willing to find out because there are a lot of 14 day Hawaii RT added this year and they seem to be filling up.

I hope Princess doesn't abandon the 7-day cruises out of Los Angeles like NCL and RCL are doing. There are some of us who like them, and/or want choices in cruises that are within a day's drive.

They already have. Even though there is a demand they obviously feel they can make more money with their asset (the ship) somewhere else.

I wish that Princess would offer some Partial Panama Canal Cruises from LA, instead of more Hawaii. They used to do it. I think Sapphire is too wide, but there are others which could do it. We did that Itinerary before, and I'd do it again. I know there are cruises that go LA --> FLL, but again, unless you want to fly, you have to go for about a month, and that's a long time and a lot more $$$.

Problem with this idea is it takes too long to get to and from LA to the canal so it would probably have to be a 12 or 14 day trip. Second problem is going in and out of the canal. Coming from the Caribbean it is a natural to come in and out of the Gatun Locks into the Gatun Lake for the day. Plenty of room to anchor, then turn around and come back out.

Coming in the Mira Flores and Pedro Miguel Locks there is no convient place to anchor and turn around. Passing thru to Gatun Lake would make it into a two day in and out tour.

I was on the Sapphire's Christmas Cruise to Mexican Riviera this year. I met many multi-generational groups who had done this for multiple years. Many of those groups seemed to include a widowed grandmother, who probably spearheaded the trips. This year there is no such cruise. Sapphire is doing a Hawaiian Christmas Cruise, at more than twice the price PP. I wonder if they will be able to fill the ship (that will be two ships to Hawaii for Christmas), especially at prices that are more than double the previous (shorter) cruise. Just sayin...and I do have a dog in this :)

They must think they can fill them and can make more at the higher prices otherwise they would not have "rescheduled" it. It might be even more ppopular if they span Xmas and New Years.

I, personally, would LOVE that itinerary.

I did that one on RCI (except it went to Seattle instead of Vancouver, Mariner couldn't fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge)

That was a great cruise, and I bet it would be even better if it went during the summer months. I went in May and it was cool, damp and foggy.

But I loved it.

We don't have a lot of choices here on the west coast, and I would love a change in itinerary.

I did book the Pacific Coastal cruise, but it goes to Ensenada as its foreign port.

I was checking out the repo to Canada, and it is pretty much sold out.

That might be a clue? It has an amazing itinerary.........

I did this a few years back on Regal Princess, so it is possible. It was 15 or perhaps 17 days, I don't remember. They did go to Gatun Lake, turn around, and go out in the same day. They didn't take two days to do it.

Have you ever done this? You seem like you are an authority on it...

M.

Problem with this idea is it takes too long to get to and from LA to the canal so it would probably have to be a 12 or 14 day trip. Second problem is going in and out of the canal. Coming from the Caribbean it is a natural to come in and out of the Gatun Locks into the Gatun Lake for the day. Plenty of room to anchor, then turn around and come back out.

Coming in the Mira Flores and Pedro Miguel Locks there is no convient place to anchor and turn around. Passing thru to Gatun Lake would make it into a two day in and out tour.

it was ok .i really dont see why all the hubbub is about maz.the guy got shot in the foot .i live in vegas tourists get shot all the time .we walked from downtown to the ship in dec we didnt have any troubles,

I live in Las Vegas also and take offense at this stupid, inaccurate comparison!

How about getting your facts straight before making such inane comments?! :eek:

i live in Las Vegas to and i think the statement that you made is very exagerated, There have been a couple instances where a tourist was shot, like at New York New York, however you cannot compare the violance of this city as bad as it is to what is going on all over Mexico.

i went to Mexico myself on a cruise a couple years ago, just to Ensenada and Cabo- however with the increasing violance and drug cartels spreading everyone, it is not a safe place to go any longer IMHO.

or limit the Mexico Rivera cruise dont get rid of them completely but limit the number and add more coastal or hawaii, but I hope they dont stop going to Mexico b/c I havent been there yet and would like to one day on Princess

how about back to back cruise mexico then coastal and mexico again...you could turn :confused:two 7 days to one 14day cruise..:o...

Tell that to my dead cousin

I am sorry that your cousin was killed. It could have happened in Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, or Mexico. Las Vegas hosts millions of tourists each year. If they were routinely killed (as the above post stated), there would be no tourism. :(

Archived