Butler Service Benefits

pittsburgh.joe

We have always had a cabin on the PG with butler service and like them for several reasons. The butler can make dinner reservations (often getting you in to a restuarant that is otherwise full), brings appetizers in the evening, keeps the cabin stocked up throughout the day, presses clothes/polishes shoes as needed, and a lot of little helpful things. Many people do not like this service and would prefer to not pay the extra expense, but this is one the the features that makes the trip relaxing and fun for us.

We had a butler last time on the PG, as did our friend Jim. Jim used his a lot, having him coordinate laundry and such (they don't actually do it themselves, btw), and bring hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon. We did the latter, although I felt we could have done without that extra food, plus the bars had very nice small canapes before dinner. But our butler was very nice. We had a butler last year on another ship, and he helped out when I got seasick the last night, but mostly just to commiserate, again, a nice guy, not much to do for us.

But in both cases, we all found that making our own specialty restaurant rezzies worked better, especially when we schmoozed the maitre'ds so they liked us! So I would never go out of my way just to have a butler.

Archived