What's wrong with deck 2?

We've had deck 2 outside cabins on Grandeur and Enchantment and inside on Monarch. Only a slight smell in spots occasionally on EOS but nothing much. The views of the ocean are amazing...you'll REALLY see the waves and anything swimming nearby, but you're still well above the water-line. There's more banging and crashing from lower decks on port days but nothing serious. The elevator is easier to get and if you pick something near the stairs you won't have far to walk. I've been on decks 7,8 and 9 on other ships and there's no difference in the service....just a better price.

There's nothing wrong with lower decks....higher decks always cost more, because they are seen as more desireable (from the old days where 1st class was upper decks, and steerage was lower decks). The cabins are all the same.

Sometimes it's a pain to wait for elevators, so, if you're on deck 2 you might be climibing lots of stairs. BUT, the gangway is often on deck 1 or 2, so coming or going from the ship would be easier. I have no problems at all with deck 2, other than it is farther away from most things. But, if deck 2 gets me on the ship, then I love deck 2!:D:)

I would think Deck 2 would be easier for elevators since their 'hold position' should be there anyway. (Meaning where the cab retreats to when not in use)

Loved deck 2 on the Navigator in December - 3 flights of stairs to dinner and the Promenade, etc. Of course the 9 flights up to the Windjammer and pool were something else but I was doing them about 5 times per day until my back started hurting too badly from the horrible mattress that I had to limit it to once per day.

We were midship and I'd have the same room again in a minute.

We just stayed in 2328 on the Explorer of the Seas. Not much noise, except an occasional woosh from down below, either the stabilizers were deployed or water was being flushed from the ship. First time in a lower room, was one of the most quiet rooms ever! No inside rooms across the hall, crew only area.

On the bigger/newer ships, the lower decks are fine. On the older ships (i.e. Majesty and Monarch), you will be in the middle of the septic tank. It can be horrible down that low.

Well it didn't stink when we were on the Monarch earlier this month. The only day there was a slight smell was one day in port. The crew had a door open near the elevators and once it was closed we didn't smell anything. Our cabin was fine, we stayed all the way forward. We saved a TON of money and enjoyed the view from our porthole just the same. It was quiet and I would book it anytime over a higher priced "view".

We used to always book the lowest deck possible midship as I can have trouble with motion. We had a flooded room once and were moved to a deck with balconies. While we didn't have a balcony, what a difference in the air quality, particularly with all the Noro prentive spraying and cleaning. We've only booked a deck with balconies since then as there is a better chance of getting fresh air circulation.

The windows in the deck 2 oceanviews are smaller than the oceanviews on other decks - is that true? You get a porthole instead of the larger, more squarish window?

Here is the Mariner of the Seas. The lower windows are smaller than the next row up ...

DSC_0123.jpg

This is from the Monarch of the Seas. The window in this deck 2 cabin was smaller than the windows on deck three ...

2608towardwindow.jpg

This is the Liberty of the Seas. The lower windows appear to be smaller than the next row up ...

LibertyOTSinGC.jpg

This is the Serenade of the Seas. The lower windows appear to be smaller than the next row up ...

SerenadeOTS-40x18.jpg

The lower the deck, the cheaper....with real estate, even on a ship, location is everything....so the higher decks are more expensive and closer to the daytime "fun" locations!

That is the key...closer to things. However deck 2 is only 3 down from Promenade. It is only 1 deck up from the get off the ship deck in most ports...so when you stagger back on at the end of a long in port day, you only have one deck to go up to get to the cabin.

We've been on deck 2 on Voyager and it was a great location. No bad smells, but we've never had bad smells on deck 2 of the Vision class ships either. We only book balconies when we are sure the entire cruise will be warm enough to make it worthwhile. Otherwise an ocean view is fine with us. Most of the public spaces are close by on decks 3, 4, and 5 plus the gangway in most ports is on deck 1.

...in theory only.

In theory only ????? What do you mean? What can you possibly argue is better about being on deck 2? The gangway for port visits is right OUTSIDE your cabin :) ...... I guess that's a good thing?

All of the cruise lines prefer folks in good physical condition to book deck two.

That way, they are assured that all are capable of rowing when the Azipods fail.

Stroke, stroke, stroke....

no.no.no...that is the crew deck where they deploy the oars:D

Ever seen the movie Titanic? ;)

But seriously, it goes back to the days when "steerage" was placed on the lower decks and the higher class was placed on the higher decks. The higher the deck, the better the location...in theory only.

Some people who get motion sickness prefer lower, more central decks, less movement, less sickness. :) So Deck 2 would be a better location for them.

On the other hand, if it were like the movie "Poseidon Adventure", your closer to the final exit. :D

The windows in the deck 2 oceanviews are smaller than the oceanviews on other decks - is that true? You get a porthole instead of the larger, more squarish window?

On the Voyager and Freedom class ships the ocean view cabins on deck 2 have the large round windows as do the ocean view cabins on deck 3. On the Radiance class ships the ocean view cabins on deck 2 have smaller portholes while the ocean view cabins on deck 3 have the large round windows.

We have sailed in lower levels a couple of times. We were on deck two of Monarch for a week a couple of years ago and just spent a week on deck 3 of Jewel last fall. The deck 2 rooms on Monarch are indeed tiny as the picture above demonstrates. But it was fine for the two of us. Had a great time on that cruise (just like all the others). Jewel's cabins are substantially bigger, and on 3 we had a window rather than a port hole. We have not found being on lower decks to be a big problem as far as getting around is concerned. And euphemisms for lower decks like "steerage" or the "aquarium" are just that euphemisms -- especially "aquarium." These cabins are well above the water line and I have never seen a fish swim by my window yet.

Our cabin on Monarch was well forward -- almost in the pointy end. As others have suggested, at tender ports you will hear the anchor drop. But that lasts a few seconds -- no big deal. I don't recall being disturbed by dock noise either on 2 or 3.

We enjoy our balconies, but as a committed price snob, decks 2 or 3 are fine with me. I have found they serve us the same food in the dining room.

Here is the Mariner of the Seas. The lower windows are smaller than the next row up ...

DSC_0123.jpg

This is the Liberty of the Seas. The lower windows appear to be smaller than the next row up ...

LibertyOTSinGC.jpg

The reason that in some areas the windows on deck 2 are a lot different size than on deck 3 is because you are seeing ocean view cabin windows on deck 2 and dining room windows on deck 3. You can tell that this is dining room ares because those windows are located near, and below, the "hump" of the ship. That is where the dining room is located on deck 3. If you look at areas of the two ships further forward the windows are pretty much the same size and this is where you are seeing an area where ocean view cabins are located on both dexk 2 and 3. You then come to Studio B on deck 3 where the windows become larger again. The issue is that they uses larger round windows in public spaces and smaller ones in the cabins. But the cabins on the two decks are pretty much the same.

As I stated in a post above, this is NOT the case on the Radiance class ships.

Here is a picture of our deck 3 cabin on Jewel.

P1010331.jpg?t=1296659604

Deck 2 OV cabins will be similar in size, but I understand they have a porthole rather than a window like this cabin. We thought this cabin was great. Note we put the coffee table in the closet to increase floor space (and protect shins during the inevitable night time trips to the bathroom).

What is your "worry"?

I doubt that I would ever book deck 2 on a Radiance class ship again. I thought that the location was great but the porthole only served to let some light in. You cannot see anywhere near what you can from the round windows on the Voyager and Freedom class ships. In fact, because of the thinckness of the hull the porthole is recessed, a little hard to explain, which makes it difficult to see anything without sticiking your head into a very small space.

Next time you are on deck 2 and the tides come in - look through the port hole and you will think that you are in an aquarium - lots of fish swimming right up to the window. Low tides are a bummer - you just see waves. Don't forget your camera!!!!

Ships float and you never see water on level 2. I can't believe nobody called you on this one. Such a hoot. No fish, but if you open the window, do not stick your arm out, the sharks may take a bite.

Archived