CSA Travel Insurance

IWant2GoNow

Hello,

A year and a half ago, I booked a Princess cruise. Final payment is due in about a week. I am all set to go, but - - - last week, 92 year old Mom went into the hospital. She is doing well, and will soon be released.

At the time of booking, I requested Princess travel insurance. However, I did not realize the importance of immediately paying for it so pre-existing medical conditions would be covered. Although I am still planning to go and looking forward to the trip, I realize that because of Mom's health and age, I may have to cancel at the last minute, or interrupt my trip if something happens to Mom after we set sail. As I understand it, the Princess insurance will not cover me if I have to disembark early, after we set sail.

Although I know Princess insurance has the cancel for any reason clause, which I really like, I am thinking about cancelling the Princess insurance. I have found a company thru insuremytrip.com, CSA (Luxe policy) that seems like it will waive the pre-existing conditions clause as long as I purchase the insurance before final payment or within 24 hours of it (which is still a week away) and am healthy to travel when I purchase it (which I am; my concern is about Mom).

Has anyone used CSA Travel Insurance, and if so, did it work out OK? Does anyone know if I am properly understanding the willingness of CSA to cover trip interruption if my Mom has a problem while I am away? Of coarse, I am kicking myself for not paying for the Princess insurance when I booked the trip, but quite honestly, it wasn't suggested to me and I just didn't think of it at the time. I've learned my lesson - right now, just wishing to get the best coverage for my trip in April. All ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think the pre existing has to be your medical problem, doesn't it? They do offer the cancel for any reason if you pay another 50% of the cost of the policy..I think that is what you would have to use.

We buy CSA direct..it's less than going through insure my trip.

Although I know Princess insurance has the cancel for any reason clause, which I really like, I am thinking about cancelling the Princess insurance. I have found a company thru insuremytrip.com, CSA (Luxe policy) that seems like it will waive the pre-existing conditions clause as long as I purchase the insurance before final payment or within 24 hours of it (which is still a week away) and am healthy to travel when I purchase it (which I am; my concern is about Mom). .

It's good to hear that some of you have used and been happy with CSA. The Princess Insurance offers the Cancel for Any Reason, and I could use that if I had to cancel before the cruise. I guess my concern is that if something happens to Mom a day after we sail, I'll loose the entire cost of the cruise and incur the costs of getting home in a hurry. Even though she is not traveling, I thought that if she had a pre existing condition, then I would not be covered if I had to hurry home because of her medical problems. I will call Princess and ask, though I'm not sure they will talk to me since I booked through a travel agent. My travel agent only uses one company, which is not CSA, so not sure she would be able to help me too much, either. Although CSA offers Cancel For Any Reason, I can't get that because they only offer it for a short time immediately after you book. Most companies also only offer the pre existing conditions waiver for a short time after booking, so I considered myself fortunate to find a company that would still sell it to me.

Thanks for your responses.

Through TAs you can book a policy at final payment that has a waiver for pre-existing conditions which we have used. You can view the cost & coverage without a TA's code but can only book it with a TA's code. We've used it & was pleased with the coverage/price but haven't needed to file a claim.

http://www.csatravelpro.com/

Are you saying this cost is cheaper than the cost without a code? I just put my info in on the pro site and it was $247.. the regular area is still cheaper ($181) although it has less coverage, but I don't need all the coverage (rental car for instance) the pro offers.

Going direct is cheaper than insure my trip.

Through TAs you can book a policy at final payment that has a waiver for pre-existing conditions which we have used. You can view the cost & coverage without a TA's code but can only book it with a TA's code. We've used it & was pleased with the coverage/price but haven't needed to file a claim.

http://www.csatravelpro.com/

Are you saying this cost is cheaper than the cost without a code? I just put my info in on the pro site and it was $247.. the regular area is still cheaper ($181) although it has less coverage, but I don't need all the coverage (rental car for instance) the pro offers.

Going direct is cheaper than insure my trip.

Yes, the basic CSA policies are less expensive but with less coverage & without a pre-existing condition waiver at final payment. The price for CSA Pro is the same whether you input an agent's code or not but you'll require that code if you decide to purchase it.

It was the most reasonably priced policy I found with the pre-existing condition waiver at final payment. I book cruises up to more than a year in advance & don't want to purchase a cancellation policy then to get the pre-existing waiver. I see no reason to purchase a cancellation policy before final payment because generally there is no penalty until that date & I can cancel for any reason before final payment. :)

CSA is the insurance I purchase, although I usually buy the less expensive policy. I"ve submitted one claim and it was paid quickly and without any hassels. Right at the 6 hour mark, our flight home was canceled. With CSA, your trip delay kicks in at 6 hours, unlike most companies which is about 12 hours.

I understand the trip interruption to mean just that.... you need to go home for an emergency. I dont recall reading anything that

mentions a preexsisting condition for those not traveling with you. With CSA, they cover up to one and a half times the cost of your trip. I'd call the company directly and verify what you feel you know.

I dont recall reading anything that mentions a preexsisting condition for those not traveling with you.

The pre-existing condition has to do with the traveller & not for those not travelling with you. To get this waiver, most plans I've seen require you to purchase the policy with your initial deposit. I don't like to pay for a travel policy before there are any penalties that could be charged. If at final payment there's a medical condition that might require such a waiver, then I'll buy the slightly more expensive CSA Pro policy through my TA. :)

Yes, the basic CSA policies are less expensive but with less coverage & without a pre-existing condition waiver at final payment. The price for CSA Pro is the same whether you input an agent's code or not but you'll require that code if you decide to purchase it.

It was the most reasonably priced policy I found with the pre-existing condition waiver at final payment. I book cruises up to more than a year in advance & don't want to purchase a cancellation policy then to get the pre-existing waiver. I see no reason to purchase a cancellation policy before final payment because generally there is no penalty until that date & I can cancel for any reason before final payment. :)

CSA has two series of policies -- the Custom plans (regular and Luxe) and the Freestyle plans (regular and Luxe).

The Custom plans are what are offered on the insuremytrip site and it's true that in order to get the pre-ex coverage you have to step up to the more expensive Luxe version.

The Freestyle plans are what are normally offered through travel agents and the pre-ex coverage is included in both the regular and Luxe version so there's a good savings by not having to pay for the Luxe. On CSA's csatravelpro.com site you do indeed need your travel agency's producer code to purchase the Freestyle plans direct online,

The Freestyle plans are readily available from other sources. They can be bought online with no "agent code" from tripinsurancestore.com and I believe squaremouth.com and travelinsurancecenter.com

The following is what I copied/pasted from a previous CSA contract. I really don't think you can go wrong with this insurance.

FAMILY MEMBER includes your or your Traveling Companion’s

dependent, spouse, child, spouse’s child, son/daughter-

in-law, parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), grandchild,

step-brother/sister, step-parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, brother/

sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, guardian, Domestic

Partner, foster child, or ward.

2. Trip Interruption due to Sickness, Injury or death of you,

your Family Member or Traveling Companion. The Sickness

or Injury must commence while you are on your Covered

Trip, require the examination by a Physician, in person, at

the time of Trip Interruption and, in the written opinion of

the treating Physician, be so disabling

Hi All,

DH and I are both in excellent health, so perhaps all is well with our insurance with Princess after all. I will call Berkley Care (not Princess - thanks for that suggestion) to find out if the pre existing conditions waiver is just for those of us travelling. If it is, then I have nothing to worry about.

Final payment is due in a week. Although I requested the Princess insurance at booking, I did not pay for it then. Payment for the insurance is added on to the payment amount due at final payment. So, I'm pretty sure I can just ask them to cancel the Princess insurance before final payment is made. But, from what some of you have written, it looks like that won't be necessary, and I will go ahead with the Princess insurance. Thanks again, all of you, for you information and ideas. This insurance thing sure can get complicated, huh?

• 5 months later...
Hi All,

DH and I are both in excellent health, so perhaps all is well with our insurance with Princess after all. I will call Berkley Care (not Princess - thanks for that suggestion) to find out if the pre existing conditions waiver is just for those of us travelling. If it is, then I have nothing to worry about.

Final payment is due in a week. Although I requested the Princess insurance at booking, I did not pay for it then. Payment for the insurance is added on to the payment amount due at final payment. So, I'm pretty sure I can just ask them to cancel the Princess insurance before final payment is made. But, from what some of you have written, it looks like that won't be necessary, and I will go ahead with the Princess insurance. Thanks again, all of you, for you information and ideas. This insurance thing sure can get complicated, huh?

I wonder if their is a word worse than complicated in the dictionary about this insurance thing.........................jeez. :eek:

I recently had coverage with CSA and found their customer service reps to be very helpful at all times, with my many questions. It so happens that I was quarantined in my cabin for 2 days, and after filing a claim for trip interruption, along with required documentation, I was reimbursed for 2 nights! I am now waiting for reimbursement for medical expenses since my medicare supplement only paid 80% after a $250 deductible.

Over the years, I have always purchased travel insurance (from various companies) and have had to use it once due to family illness and twice for myself.Although I have read threads where people state the problems with filing a claim, I have not found this the case as long as the rquired documents are submitted.To answer your question, I'd go with CSA.

• 3 months later...
Have always used CSA although just recently found out we can buy it directly from CSA and save money. Fortunately have never had to use it, but always buy it.

i originally purchased CSA policy when I booked through Amex. The policy was $380. I went online to insuremytrip and compared the CSA policies to the one purchased through amex. I was shocked that my policy for $380 only covered $50k emergency medical evacuation when the CSO lux policy online was $180 and covered $1m.

For the most part the other benefits were about equal or the lux policy was better. So shop around.

i originally purchased CSA policy when I booked through Amex. The policy was $380. I went online to insuremytrip and compared the CSA policies to the one purchased through amex. I was shocked that my policy for $380 only covered $50k emergency medical evacuation when the CSO lux policy online was $180 and covered $1m.

For the most part the other benefits were about equal or the lux policy was better. So shop around.

CSA (like many insurers) does have different plans with different coverage amounts so it's not surprising what you found. What is surprising is that you bought a CSA plan through Amex as Amex has their own plans (see insuremytrip). Did you purchase it directly through Amex or through a travel agency affiliated with Amex? Just curious.

IMHO if you have health insurance that will pay for your medical care then the insurance is only needed to cover the cost of the vacation if you cancel or get sick or for evacuation back home. Many of the policies, including the ones from CSA, provide for evacuation to the closest hospital that can provide medical care. IMHO this is useless. If you are in get sick you may be transported to New Zealand which is the closest country with excellent health care. If I live in New York and want to be here I want insurance to cover that cost.

The cost for evacuation can be huge. We recently coordinated the medical evacuation of a patient from the New York area to India and it cost $250,000.

Many of the policies, including the ones from CSA, provide for evacuation to the closest hospital that can provide medical care. IMHO this is useless. If you are in get sick you may be transported to New Zealand which is the closest country with excellent health care. If I live in New York and want to be here I want insurance to cover that cost.

CSA, along with every major insurer that I can think of do just what you are looking for. For example, this is from a CSA plan:

"Covered Expenses:

1. expenses incurred by you for Physician-ordered emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and necessary medical care en route, to the nearest suitable Hospital, when you are critically ill or injured and no suitable local care is available, subject to the Program Medical Advisor's prior approval;

2. expenses incurred for non-emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and medical care en route, to a Hospital or to your place of residence in the United States of America or Canada, when deemed medically necessary by the attending physician, subject to the Program Medical Advisor's prior approval;"

A few year ago I had a client on a trip to France that had a heart attack over there. He was treated there until he was stable enough to be brought home by air ambulance with a doctor and nurse in attendance. The cost was about $75,000. Unfortunately, he died about a week later but at least he died at home -- his family was very grateful that they had the chance to say their goodbyes. This one happened to be with Travelex.

Some policies specifically state that evacuation will be to your home area, others to the nearest hospital. If taken to the nearest hospital it is then up to the physician caring for you AND the insurance companies physician to determine if you need evacuation home.

While in many cases I am sure there is no issue - after local emergent care the patient is transported to their home area, in other cases the insurance company physician COULD deny the second evacuation. I could forseee an issue where by after local treatment another period of time is needed in the hospital before it would safe to discharge the patient to a commercial airline. An example could be a fractured hip. If the patient is kept in the first hospital for a week or two the patient could take a commercial plane home. The insurance company has a vested interest in minimizing the number of long distance evacuations.

IMHO I would chose a policy that did not stipulate transport to the nearest appropriate hospital. Since many policies do not stipulate this there must be some logical reason for the working.

IMHO I would chose a policy that did not stipulate transport to the nearest appropriate hospital.

Do you have any examples available to US residents that also include coverages such as trip cancellation, trip delay, etc? Or would a person who wants those coverages also have to buy a stand-alone MedJet-type policy?

CSA (like many insurers) does have different plans with different coverage amounts so it's not surprising what you found. What is surprising is that you bought a CSA plan through Amex as Amex has their own plans (see insuremytrip). Did you purchase it directly through Amex or through a travel agency affiliated with Amex? Just curious.

I wondered the same thing - why would amex book me with CSA when they offered travel insurance - after seeing the insuremytrip website. No answer to that. I booked directly with amex in order to use points.

Archived