Sneakers on Casual Night

AuntB

Going to Alaska June 27 on Sun Princess. I have my dresses for the two formal nights. I have Dockers for the casual nights. Question - Can I wear Keds wtih my Dockers or should I take dresser shoes? I'm trying to cut down on the number of pairs of shoes. Thanks

I have definitely seen athletic shoes on casual nights and Keds are a little less obvious than court or running shoes. I think you'd be fine as far as the general populous is concerned- will YOU feel comfortable with it? is the most important question to answer.

I have heard that Alaska cruises are a bit more casual, just because of the weather. Not sure if that would carry on to the dining room. One day, I will find out for myself; I just keep thinking about all the bulky clothes to pack!:eek: You may want to ask on the Princess board too.

No one will stop you from entering the dining room in your sneakers. However, since you're asking advice on a fashion board, I have to give the idea of sneakers at dinner a big "yuck".

Jane

Hi:) you are asking if they are ok for the dining room. Personally, even on casual evenings I still like to dress up. Not like formal nights but in a nice pair of slacks and pretty top with heels, usually a sandel with a mid heel.

I have heard Alaska is more casual but usually for the daytime due to the type of excursions.

But I really think evenings in the dining room are the same "dress" whether you are in the Caribbean or Alaska. Of course, depending on what cruiseline you are sailing might make a difference too.

But I enjoying dressing for dinner. My lifestyle here at home doesn't afford me those opportunities. I love it when I am on a cruiseship:D

Anyway, I leave the sneakers in the cabin when I am going to dinner.

BTW,

As long as AuntB is asking for opinions....... I'd also skip wearing a pair of Dockers to dinner, even on a casual night.

I'm with Lois, a pair of nice pants and a pretty top is a much better choice, imo.

Jane

Think of casual night as as typical of going out to a nice restaurant on a Saturday night. Would you wear dockers and sneakers then? If a person has a foot problem, I think it is acceptable, of course, it would be OK any time if that is the case.

But, your dockers and sneakers are perfect daytime wear around the ship, or in port. Alaska cruises are not less casual than any other cruise we have been on. Perhaps it is the day wear, since a lot of people wear jeans? The ship you are on may have a slight difference, but not a whole lot.

Are you all suggesting that you think Dockers are inappropriate on casual night? Or just Dockers paired with Keds?

As I said above, I have definitely seen sneakers on casual night (and probably on Informal nights as well, but we'll choose to look past that!).

I believe the majority of posters on this particular board are here because they are more concerned than the average cruiser about what they wear.

Dockers will be seen on casual nights. They will be seen with sneakers, even at dinner. I believe most here feel it is inappropriate. and that is fine, but I don't want to mislead the OP that they will be the only one (if they choose to wear their keds with Dockers) as that is practically guaranteed not to be the case (in my experience).

Im worried now! My DH was planning on wearing reeboks with his khaki's and collard shirt on non formal nights. It says "resort wear" and this is what he would wear to a golf resort. I would not wear sneakers to the dining room but my kids and DH were planning on wearing them with the khakis. Is this ok?

This is just my opinion, of course, but I would never consider khakis to be included in the definition of "resort wear" for women. For men - yes - but not for women. And to wear tennis shoes with the khakis, well that lowers them beneath even "business casual", and therefore would not be appropriate in the dining room. For children however, knakis and sneaks ( nice ones - like Vans or something - not scruffy worn ones) are fine.

However, I am sure that you will see attire that is far less dressy that what you are considering, so do keep that in mind. I suppose it really depends on how much your own comfort level is affected by the dress of those around you. For me personally, it matters a great deal. I have spent a lot of effort teaching my son about "proper dress" and respect for one's own appearance, and our cruise was a wonderful opportunity for him to experience the confidence that comes with knowing you have presented yourself well. I understand that many people consider their cruise as their opportunity to relax and dress however they please, and that is fine if that is what they are comfortable with. Off the ship, we certainly dressed extremely casually. But on the ship, we thoroughly enjoyed dressing "up", rather than "down".

Hi,:) does your hubby own a pair of loafers? Brown ones maybe? I realize you are asking for opinions and are getting many different replies, so you will have to do what you feel most comfortable with but I think shoes are just nicer, rather than sneakers.

I agree with HappysingleMom~I prefer to dress on the "bit dressier" side, rather than the "less dressier".

And during the day I am always casual. I think these suggestions are for evenings in the dining room;)

Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions. I will rethink my Dockers and Keds for casual night. As I dress up everyday for work I was hoping casual night would be a little more casual. Since this is my first cruise I have a lot to learn.

I would have absolutely no problem wearing dockers and keds to dinner on casual night myself... you will see others dressed similarly It's your vacation!the dress code says "casual"! dress so you feel comfortable!

Aunt B,

Im going with the majority as well. However, with that being said Ive seen people in about everything under the sun including jeans. Packing can be a nightmare unless you really plan. Pick a shoe that is versitle for you. I do a med heal black strappy sandel. Goes great with hose or without (usually how I wear them) Can wear with nice pants or capri's. One of my favorite parts is dressing up alittle at night. Regardless of you chioce just no there will be someone dressier and some one who is in jeans. Dont stress!

OK ladies, you have to realize that some of us here cannot wear heels or fancy sandals and have no choice but to wear sneakers. I had polio as a young child and I always wear sneakers on casual night. Have any of you seen the new Keds designs? Their new ballet flats/sneakers are absolutely great looking and very appropriate for casual nights. Keds have become more fashionable than a lot of sandals I've seen on cruises (personally, I think Teva's aren't the most lovely looking things, but I see lots of them in the dining room on casual night). I have worn sneakers on Crystal and Seabourn on casual nights and these are two of the most dressy cruise lines anywhere, and not one word was said. I've never seen a dress code that says no tennis shoes. I wear what I term "fancier" sneakers from a company called Sebestino, and they make some great looking sneakers with embroidered cruise ships, or seascapes. I have a really nice pair of black ones with silver stars and moons embroidered on them. So, to the original poster, as long as the sneakers are clean and neat, go ahead and wear them on casual night.

Of course, Darcie, I did mention that in my post and I actually have no problem with anyone wearing sneakers, even if they don't have a need to. We have to always be considerate of people who cannot wear heels or dressy shoes. Even though I love to give my opinions, I'm always aware that, for whatever reason, people don't always dress according to "rules".

Probably the posts that upset me the most are the ones from people who perhaps have saved for years for just the cruise and cannot afford a new wardrobe. They are no less welcome (to me) than the divas who are dressed to the nines and dripping with real jewels. It is about people, not clothes. Perhaps this is the real reason the dining room staff does not "enforce" dress codes, they have the grace to accept all.

If the OP or anyone would ever mention they wanted to wear sneakers because of a difficulty, I am in total support.

I can afford a new wardrobe but casual is casual and dockers with clean sneakers or tennies is 'casual'. I don't think the way people interpret 'casual' or 'formal' has anything to do with ability to acquire a wardrobe for a cruise.... it seems that people on casual night that are in the 'casual' attire are more interested in comfort than worrying about what others think about what they're wearing. The formal nights are there for those who want to dress-up and over the years even that has scaled back .... even in the business world.... business casual has a very different meaning. If one of the previous poster DH wants to wear his khakis and reeboks, then I'm sure he's old enough to make that decision for himself.... I'm on my 20th cruise in April and it still amazes me how much concern goes into the wardrobe. <IMHO>

Archived