Sneakers on Casual Night

AuntB

I think Docker's are fine for casual night, for both men and women. I'd nix the tennies, though and my husband will wear his brown Floorsheim loafers and I'll wear my mahogany Doc Martens. (just because I love them SO much! even though my kids hate them and think they're ugly.)

BooBoo, I think the reason for wardrobe concern has to do with not feeling like you're the only one not dressed like everyone else. Remember when we were younger (sorry if I'm making an assumption that you're not young) but didn't we all worry about clothes and fitting in with all the others? I guess that's why everyone worries about clothes on a cruise. If I were a cruise newbie, I know I would sure feel strange if I brought nothing but jeans and t-shirts on a cruise because I didn't know better. Don't think I would like to walk into the dining room on formal night in my Harley t-shirt and jeans.

Happy ks, I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone, especially you, but I needed to point out that not everyone can wear the fancy shoes. You should see what I have to go through just to find nice, dressy, flat shoes in a size 4 1/2. Add to that the disfigurement of my feet, and that adds to the problem. Thank heaven that ballet flats are coming back in style. But most of them start at a size 6.

Hi Darcie&Kathy:)

Darcie, I have known you both for the 2 years of being on this forum. And you are both classy gals.

Darcie, you probably look as good (if not better)than lots of folks and are always full of knowledge to pass on to everyone. (I don't mean folks on here) but overall.

I am sure you look wonderful on your cruises.

Kathy, I knew she wasn't pointing a finger~it is just so hard to "read tone" on here sometimes.

Anyway, have a good weekend:)

I know how hard it is to read "tone" into a message. I know I have been totally misread several times on these boards. I think that sometimes people may get a little carried away with their thoughts and not be as considerate as we should be, I know I do at times. I think we should thank Darcie for bringing this subject into perspective, we should not judge people automatically.

NOw, Lois, on to your earring post.

kitty9,

Have a look at shoes by Taryn Rose. She's a foot surgeon that developed a line of shoes for people who have problem feet but want fashion with their comfort.

They are expensive and though I've never worn them, people who wear them become "addicted" and I see women in Neiman's and Sak's who won't wear anything else. They're probably sold on the Neiman and Sak's websites too.

Happy K's,

I agree with you. I'm always considerate of people who either can't afford to buy new clothes or can't wear fashionable shoes. However, as you said, this is a board where people ask opinions and if someone is asking, we'll give ours with full knowledge that there are always exceptions. However, I don't think we're obligated to make note of them and qualify our opinions in each and every post.

Just to cast my vote into the Dockers issue,

I'm in agreement that Docker's are not great on women for dinner in the dining room. For men, worn with a nice shirt and a pair of casual loafers, they're fine.

Aunt B,

As you can see, there are no hard and fast rules and no one will stop you from entering the dining room. I think the best barometer is, as one poster said, dress as if you were going to a nice restaurant in a big city. Would you wear Dockers and sneakers then? If the answer is yes, then you'll probably feel comfortable walking into the ship's dining room dressed that way. If you think you'd feel underdressed, then you'll probably feel that way on a ship also.

Jane

>>>>>>>>>I checked out the Taryn Rose shoes at zappos.com. Unbelievable! Do people really pay $400 and more for a pair of shoes?? For shoes that aren't even pretty/cute/made of silver/gold/platinum???<<<<<<<

Yes, Lots of people pay $400.+ for a pair of shoes. I try to wait til for a sale, but I have paid that amount for something really special. I was in Bergdorf's yesterday and most of the shoes were over $500.00 and there were plenty of people buying. I watched a woman buy 3 pairs of Chanel ballet slipper-like shoes for over $500.00 each. Must be nice.

As far as the Taryn Rose shoes go, you may not think they are cute nor would I buy them either. However, for people who have a lot of foot problems, the Taryn Rose are thousands times prettier than the traditional orthopedic shoes I've seen people wear. Many people who can wear "regular shoes" also wear the Taryn Rose because they find them so comfortable.

Jane

Well, personally I would not wear dockers with sneakers ANYWHERE - much less a restaurant or dining room. Just a fashion no-no. A pair of comfortable flats or sandals would look much better, IMO.

Dockers with tennis shoes is a masculine look. OK for men and children, not for women. (I am lucky to have a daughter who is brutally honest with me about what looks good and what doesn't, helps keep me current!) ;)

I'm with Jane and Lois...no Dockers and sneakers to dinner. Nicer pants/crops in a dressier fabric than twill with great sandals, mules or ballerina flats are the choices I make for casual nights. ;)

Same question...Would you wear Dockers and sneakers in a 3 or 4 star restaurant in Florida? If you would, then perhaps you'll feel comfortable doing so in the ship's dining room. IMHO, Dockers and sneakers don't cut it for dinner anywhere.

BTW,

As long as AuntB is asking for opinions....... I'd also skip wearing a pair of Dockers to dinner, even on a casual night.

I'm with Lois, a pair of nice pants and a pretty top is a much better choice, imo.

Jane

• 1 month later...

If my husband decides to wear khakis on casual nights, his choices (without buying new stuff) are black dress shoes, athletic shoes (clean), or hiking boots (these are two tone brown ones in very clean condition). Do you think the hiking boots are okay? Considered one step up better than athletic shoes? If the suggestion is to buy a new pair, what suggestions do you have? Normally he would wear them w/tennis shoes or the hiking boots.

Same question...Would you wear Dockers and sneakers in a 3 or 4 star restaurant in Florida? If you would, then perhaps you'll feel comfortable doing so in the ship's dining room. IMHO, Dockers and sneakers don't cut it for dinner anywhere.

I live in FL and, unfortunately, many folks here wear that and worse to dinner. I personally find it appalling.

No matter what anyone else wears, however, I dress well. If I stand out in the crowd, that is a good thing.

Okay, I agree no dockers or sneakers on casual nights. But let me understand something here. I'm going on the Amsterdam to Alaska July 3. Is it okay to wear jeans during the day or not? I've been on several Caribbean cruises and jeans were never part of my wardrobe. I understand Alaska is different because of the cooler temperatures. Please help me decide if jeans are appropriate or not. Thanks.:confused:

Archived