How to avoid being called to the naughty room for legal items?

lagirl85

OP, you will be fine. Whether it's locked or not makes no difference. If they see something during screening that they want to check out, then they will. Trust me. If the bag's unlocked (ours always are), they may search it & leave a note, or they may not even open it. If it's locked, they'll call you down to unlock it so they may search further. It is NOT a big deal, and certainly nothing to worry about.

We're taking our first cruise (Triumph!!) and have been reading through these boards to get an idea of what to expect. I see a lot of people talking about being called down to the "naughty room" to unlock their luggage or getting their bags very late in their room to find a note saying their bag was opened and inspected, even when they had nothing to hide.

Don't worry about as the chances are slim to none you will get called if everything is the way you say they will be. I don't bother locking or sealing my bags as my opinion is let them check it if they have to - it's less obtrusive than when TSA does it. I have yet to have them go through my bags.......

TSA typically is known (at least to me) to cut the TSA locks as it's easier for them. I don't even bother lockign anything anymore since anything valuable is in my carryon anyway. I asked my TSA neighbor about it and his explanation is a lot of times someone with the master key is not available so they cut it instead of delaying the bag.

The security scanning at the port is not done by TSA paranoid employees so they don't go too crazy. Again, pack and don't worry.

Don't worry about as the chances are slim to none you will get called if everything is the way you say they will be. I don't bother locking or sealing my bags as my opinion is let them check it if they have to - it's less obtrusive than when TSA does it. I have yet to have them go through my bags.......

TSA typically is known (at least to me) to cut the TSA locks as it's easier for them. I don't even bother lockign anything anymore since anything valuable is in my carryon anyway. I asked my TSA neighbor about it and his explanation is a lot of times someone with the master key is not available so they cut it instead of delaying the bag.

The security scanning at the port is not done by TSA paranoid employees so they don't go too crazy. Again, pack and don't worry.

My DW is a flight attendant and we take flights as often as we can domestically and internationally. We have never had a TSA lock cut off.

I also work for a company that did all of the TSA systems hardware, software, and network installations, repairs, and upgrades. The TSA in our area (which is multiple airports) is much more professional then that.

We're taking our first cruise (Triumph!!) and have been reading through these boards to get an idea of what to expect. I see a lot of people talking about being called down to the "naughty room" to unlock their luggage or getting their bags very late in their room to find a note saying their bag was opened and inspected, even when they had nothing to hide.

I am ordering alcohol from BV, carrying our two bottles of wine and some mixers for BV drinks, and have no intention of smuggling anything in my bags. I just hate to waste any of my cruise time going down there because they thought I had something suspicious in my bag. I also don't like the idea of someone digging around in my bag through my personal stuff.

So my question is, what do I need to do/not do to avoid being called down and having my bag searched? I want to bring my own shampoo, mouthwash, hand sanitizer, contact solution, etc and I'm worried all that liquid will raise some doubts. Any tips on what you guys do would be great!

Thanks!

1) Just make sure any of your liquid toiletry items are in travel size bottles, NOT regular size bottles.

2) Leave your bag unlocked and you won't have to go to the naughty room.

We never had our luggage checked until our 9th cruise in November, when they opened a bag with some sodas in it and just put in the note that they looked and everything was fine.

Our bag with a ton of toiletries, ALL in travel size bottles, was not checked.

Bill

1) Just make sure any of your liquid toiletry items are in travel size bottles, NOT regular size bottles.

2) Leave your bag unlocked and you won't have to go to the naughty room.

We never had our luggage checked until our 9th cruise in November, when they opened a bag with some sodas in it and just put in the note that they looked and everything was fine.

Our bag with a ton of toiletries, ALL in travel size bottles, was not checked.

Bill

Sounds like whiskey miniatures are a way to go!

"We never had our luggage checked until our 9th cruise in November, when they opened a bag with some sodas in it and just put in the note that they looked and everything was fine."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 100% of checked and carry-on luggage was x-rayed 100% of the time.

Just swell - I fly out of DIA. Hopefully your neighbor and his paranoid co-workers will be off the days I fly. I, by the way have had two of my bags, different trips, both locked with TSA locks, opened and searched in DIA by TSA, note left of search, suitcase still neat and in place, and nothing missing and lock re-locked, not broken. For some reason I think that putting a disposable water camera (out of box, but still in foil) inside a 32oz drink mug triggered the search - because that was the only item besides clothes and shoes in both incidenses. So my reply to the OP avoid putting anything other than ordinary items in your suitcase that will be checked by both TSA and the cruiselines. Locked or unlocked - your choice.

I'm a little confused. Haven't cruised for a year. Are they getting more strict? I used to be able to put a small amount of vodka in an old Listerine bottle or something like that in my carryon. Are they finding that now?

Yes...they are way more strict. And they are well aware of the old vodka in a listerine bottle, water bottle, soda bottle, etc. You name it, they are aware of it.

OP, you will be fine. Whether it's locked or not makes no difference. If they see something during screening that they want to check out, then they will. Trust me. If the bag's unlocked (ours always are), they may search it & leave a note, or they may not even open it. If it's locked, they'll call you down to unlock it so they may search further. It is NOT a big deal, and certainly nothing to worry about.

Exactly!

I am ordering alcohol from BV, carrying our two bottles of wine and some mixers for BV drinks, and have no intention of smuggling anything in my bags. I just hate to waste any of my cruise time going down there because they thought I had something suspicious in my bag. I also don't like the idea of someone digging around in my bag through my personal stuff.

So my question is, what do I need to do/not do to avoid being called down and having my bag searched? I want to bring my own shampoo, mouthwash, hand sanitizer, contact solution, etc and I'm worried all that liquid will raise some doubts. Any tips on what you guys do would be great!

Thanks!

If you are flying in then you need to take the small bottles (shampoo ect) or make sure they are all in your checked bags which you will probably want to have any kinds of liquids (and no Im not talking about alcohol) in a plastic bottle and also a heavy duty gallon size ziplock bag. If you arent flying then you can do what you want to do, We fly in early most of the time like 2 days early so we get our wine and sometimes shampoo ect after we get down there. One more thought..its always good to bring a roll on for your coke ect or whatever you want, such as water too. The roll on makes it alot easier to pull it around with you since you have to wait for your cabin to be ready in most cases...if you leave it in your checked baggage sometimes they will take away your wine and other drinks. Have a fantastic cruise!

Thanks a billion everyone! I hadn't even thought of a good bit of the things you advised. I'm not flying in, but will buy smaller sizes of brand new toiletries and then they'll fit in my carryon. That way if there's any question, it'll be taken care of right then and there and there won't be anything to raise doubts in my checked bag.

If you are talking about water bottles meaning bottled water, that has to be carried on too. If bottled water shows on the x-ray machine, they will have you open your suitcase as many people smuggle in those bottles.

Mixers for your drinks, IE 7-up, need to be carried on too. Makes for a heavy carry on, but only toiletries such as shampoo, conditioners can be in the suitcase. My suggestion is to go to the Carnival website and look at how you need to get things onboard. Enjoy!

Quick question. We have never brought on mixers or soda but plan on doing so next month. Do you just bring an extra carryon and put it in there?

Short story:

You get called to the naughty room if you have something you are not supposed to have.

You get a note in your luggage if you had something that looked suspicious in x-ray so they opened it up to see what it was and decided it was ok after all.

Just leave your bag unlocked, don't have drinkable liquids in it (alcohol or non) or anything else on the banned list and you should be fine. People bring their own shampoos, oils, gels, etc. all the time. Worst case they will open it up, smell it and pass it along.

What's the big deal about being called to the naughty room? They're not going to arrest you for smuggling booze. Take it with a smile. I actually think it would be funny and I would laugh and smile the whole time (I think I just jinx'd my next attempt).

Quick question. We have never brought on mixers or soda but plan on doing so next month. Do you just bring an extra carryon and put it in there?

We bring a small rolling suitcase and put our wine and water in it. Sometimes my husband brings six pack of Pepsi as they don't sell Pepsi on the ship. We then use that bag to bring liquor home from the cruise.

What's the big deal about being called to the naughty room? They're not going to arrest you for smuggling booze. Take it with a smile. I actually think it would be funny and I would laugh and smile the whole time (I think I just jinx'd my next attempt).

Exactly. I got called to the naughty room on NCL. I ended up turning it around on them and stealing my booze back. Luckily the others in line kept a straight face and didn't say anything when they saw what I did.:p:D

Just swell - I fly out of DIA. Hopefully your neighbor and his paranoid co-workers will be off the days I fly. I, by the way have had two of my bags, different trips, both locked with TSA locks, opened and searched in DIA by TSA, note left of search, suitcase still neat and in place, and nothing missing and lock re-locked, not broken. For some reason I think that putting a disposable water camera (out of box, but still in foil) inside a 32oz drink mug triggered the search - because that was the only item besides clothes and shoes in both incidenses. So my reply to the OP avoid putting anything other than ordinary items in your suitcase that will be checked by both TSA and the cruiselines. Locked or unlocked - your choice.

Good luck. I don't even both locking anymore but I've had a relatively neatly packed bag turned into one that I could have packed in a trash bag after a search. I do take a few weird things i.e. travel mugs and things I'm sure look a bit suspect - I'm sure to the TSA agents, there ain't no such thing as "normal". I packed my water cameras last time with no issues. I guess it's just a big lottery.

Now in saying that, I know my neighbor would be the consumate professional and would not cut on off - hi s co-workers I'm not so sure but I'm sure they all try to play by the rules.

Just returned from the Miracle and our friend and us both had our plastic bottles of rye taken out of our checked bags and when we got our suitcases to our stateroom we found letters stating that security had removed the bottles and would return them to us on the last nite of the cruise (which they did). I might add that while in port (Grand Turk) we purchased a bottle of rye and simply poured it into our red Carnival glasses and carried it right through security.:D

place the toiletries in your carry-on... if they want to check it you will be standing right there

also if something happes to your luggage you still have the important stuff

Great idea if you're not flying to the port.....then you can't carry on all those liquid toiletries....they will be confiscated at the airport.

I use zipties too, I figure if the authorities need to get in the suitcase, they can cut them off, but it might discourage a petty thief. I also packed full sized toiletries as I was sharing with my sister, and I never had any issue. We did carry on 2 twelve packs of soda, again, no issues.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't need to worry.

Archived