Carnival's answer to Oasis?

Jtd724

Worth and value are very different things to the subtle mind but I give up. It's like trying to talk to a lawn sprinkler. You answer only the questions that don't weaken your position and distort the rest.

Enjoy living in your bubble.

Umm we're waiting Sarge.........

Enjoy your wannabe cruise line.:)

Umm we're waiting Sarge.........

You'll be waiting a long time ;)

I'm a Platinum Carnival cruiser and even I can admit that the cruising experience with them is getting very stale. While it may appeal to the newer cruiser and those who refuse to branch out to other lines because of undying loyalty or money issues or whatever, I am absolutely bored with it.

When Dream was announced I just knew this was going to be the ship to change the face of the brand. It was going to be innovative, amazing, everything I could ever dream of. Imagine my disappointment when the deck plans were released and I realized it was just ANOTHER Conquest class ship, with more cabins, a Lanai, and a new name slapped on the side. I was disappointed for weeks.

I sailed Dream and it was fine. I had fun. After all it was a cruise and all cruises are fun. But it was nothing special. Nothing wowed me. The same exact experience down to a T that I had on my previous 15 Carnival cruises was had on Carnival's "newest and most innovative ship yet!" Please :rolleyes:

People keep quoting how much money Carnival Corporation has made in the last fiscal year. A billion dollars. Wow...that's amazing. Good for them. Unfortunately I don't see ANY of it in their new builds which I find very odd but as long as the beards are happy I guess all is right with the world. I guess I can't blame them. They keep building the same exact ship with a new name and pax still come running because more often than not, its the cheapest line out there. I guess they've found what works for them and I wish them continued success.

Will I stop cruising Carnival? After my Freedom cruise in July, yes I will. For a while at least. As soon as there's a reason for me to return, I will come running back. But until then, they can keep it. I look forward to trying RCI's Allure, the Disney Dream, the NCL Epic, and the Celebrity Eclipse in the future.

I'm a Platinum Carnival cruiser and even I can admit that the cruising experience with them is getting very stale. While it may appeal to the newer cruiser and those who refuse to branch out to other lines because of undying loyalty or money issues or whatever, I am absolutely bored with it.

When Dream was announced I just knew this was going to be the ship to change the face of the brand. It was going to be innovative, amazing, everything I could ever dream of. Imagine my disappointment when the deck plans were released and I realized it was just ANOTHER Conquest class ship, with more cabins, a Lanai, and a new name slapped on the side. I was disappointed for weeks.

I sailed Dream and it was fine. I had fun. After all it was a cruise and all cruises are fun. But it was nothing special. Nothing wowed me. The same exact experience down to a T that I had on my previous 15 Carnival cruises was had on Carnival's "newest and most innovative ship yet!" Please :rolleyes:

People keep quoting how much money Carnival Corporation has made in the last fiscal year. A billion dollars. Wow...that's amazing. Good for them. Unfortunately I don't see ANY of it in their new builds which I find very odd but as long as the beards are happy I guess all is right with the world. I guess I can't blame them. They keep building the same exact ship with a new name and pax still come running because more often than not, its the cheapest line out there. I guess they've found what works for them and I wish them continued success.

Will I stop cruising Carnival? After my Freedom cruise in July, yes I will. For a while at least. As soon as there's a reason for me to return, I will come running back. But until then, they can keep it. I look forward to trying RCI's Allure, the Disney Dream, the NCL Epic, and the Celebrity Eclipse in the future.

I'm a Diamond cruiser with RCL [more than 10 cruises] and a Platinum cruiser with Carnival [more than 10 cruises]

I pay attention to the companies that I deal with. And I cruise for the CRUISE, not for the ship. Sounds like you would be a wonderful RCL cruiser where the SHIP is the destination. RCL ships are terrific, and different, with many many things that have nothing to do with a ship plying an ocean. I don't mind that they do, nor do I care that they do. The companies have a different focus. RCL, the ship is an advertising campaign in itself. Carnival, the ship is the means to cruise. Carnival innovated well beyond anyone else years ago. They made a giant ship [small today] that worked efficiently and well. They have been building that ship with its natural evolutions ever since. Because it saves building costs and it accommodates the cruises Carnival wants to supply. That and excellent behind the scenes cost control is why Carnival makes bundles of profit while RCL sometimes operates at a loss.

I meet interesting people on RCL ships and I meet interesting people on Carnival ships. Other lines as well. I can tolerate Joe Farcus, and I can tolerate the maritime useless things [ice rink] that RCL has.

Ships are the small part of cruising to me. Carnival has notably better food and usually better prices. RCL often has better [longer] itineraries.

I sail for my reasons, you sail for yours.

I have yet to try CCL but I think I will in the next few years. I wanna see whats next after these Dream class ships. So maybe in like 2015 or 2016 if they have a really innovative ship I'll be on it. I really wanna try the NCL Epic. I like where Carnival is going with the Promenade deck though. It's such an antiquated feature it's time to put new life in it. hot tubs and al fresco dining are steps in the right direction. RCCL should have put the boardwalk neighborhood on that deck and have it wrap around with a true wooden boardwalk floor. It would feel so close to the real thing. I hope Carnival goes thru with some of those ideas in that video. A lazy river on the stretched promenade deck...... :)

Why pay attention to a cruise companies profit and loss??

This has happened in the last TEN years only!

ADRIATIC CRUISES (Croatia)

Out of Business

Dalmacija, 300 pax (March '09: laid up in Rijeka)

AMBASSADORS INTERNATIONAL, INC. - AMBASSADORS CRUISE GROUP

Majestic America Line (Seattle) (November '08: it has ceased operations)

AMERICAN CLASSIC VOYAGES (Chicago) (Out of business)

American Hawaii Cruises (New Orleans, LA) (Out of business)

United States Lines (New Orleans, LA) (Out of business)

Delta Queen Coastal Voyages (New Orleans, LA) (Out of business)

ATW CRUISES (AROUND THE WORLD CRUISES - SAFEZONE PTY. LTD.) (Australia) (Out of business)

CLUB CRUISE (Holland)

The Company is out of business

COMMODORE HOLDINGS LTD (Out of business)

Commodore Cruise Line (South Hollywood, FL)

Crown Cruise Line

Crown Dynasty, 820 pax (Former Norwegian Dynasty - sold to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines and renamed Braemar)

CRUISE WEST(Seattle, WA)

The Company ceased operation in September 2010

DELPHIN KREUZFAHRTEN - HANSA KREUZFAHRTEN (Germany)

(October 2010: the German operator has gone bankrupt)

EASYCRUISE (UK)

(August '09: EasyCruise has been sold to Hellenic Seaways, a Greek ferry company)

EMPRESS CRUISE LINES (Malaysia / Singapore)

The Empress (Currently laid up in Singapore)

FESTIVAL CRUISES / FIRST EUROPEAN CRUISES (Piraeus - Athens, Greece)

(Out of business)

GLACIER BAY CRUISELINE

(Out of business.

GREAT AMERICAN RIVER JOURNEYS (Seattle) (Currently out of business)

HOLIDAY KREUZFAHRTEN(Germany) (The company has announced bankruptcy

IMPERIAL MAJESTY CRUISE LINE (Pompano Beach, FL)

Regal Empress, 875 pax (Former Greek Line Olympia. March '09: she has been sold to Indian breakers)

(March '09: the Company is no longer operating)

MAURITIUS ISLAND CRUISES (Out of business)

OCEAN CLUB CRUISES - MAGIC CRUISE LINE SERVICES CO. (Port Canaveral) (Out of business)

PREMIER CRUISE LINES (Port Canaveral, FL) (Out of business)

RAZZMATAZZ OCEAN CRUISES (South Africa)

December 2007: all programmed cruises have been cancelled

REGAL CRUISES(St. Petersburg, FL - Out of Business)

RENAISSANCE CRUISES (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) (Out of business)

R1 (Currently Oceania Cruises Insignia)

R2 (Currently Oceania Cruises Regatta)

R3 (Currently Pacific Princess)

R4 (Currently Ocean Princess, ex Tahitian Princess)

R5 (Currently Oceania Cruises Nautica)

R6 (Currently Azamara Journey - Photo courtesy FrangiB46 at Photobucket.com)

R7 (Currently Azamara Quest. Ex Delphin Renaissance, ex Pullmantur Cruises' Blue Moon)

R8 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Leased for seven years to Swan Hellenic. She was renamed Minerva II)

Renaissance VII, 114 pax (Sold to Mauritius Island Cruises)

Renaissance VIII, 114 pax (Sold to Mauritius Island Cruises)

RIVERBARGE EXCURSION LINES, INC. (New Orleans, LA)

(December '08: RiverBarge Excursion Lines has ceased operations

ROYAL OLYMPIA CRUISES (Piraeus - Athens, Greece and New York, NY - out of business)

SOCIETY EXPEDITIONS (Bremen, Germany and Seattle, WA)

(Out of business. March '9

WINDJAMMER BAREFOOT CRUISES (Out of Business)

September 2007: the ships are all stranded. Yankee Clipper is in Trinidad, Mandalay is in Panama, Polynesia is in Aruba and Legacy is in Costa Rica

I like the size of the spirit class ... I see the same staff get a bit of a funny familiar relationship going on and I see some of the same passengers throughout the cruise.

I'm not even a tiny bit interested in having a floating mall onboard or 7 pay restarunts to choose from

we loved the Miracle and Pride

this year we are going on the Victory so we'll see how I like that class of ship

I was pointing out that you were using terms incorrectly.

I don't really care whose credit rating is superior and have said several times CCL is easily worth more than RCL.

You spoke earlier of RCL gimmicks and CCL's innovations. I'd be interesting to know what you meant by that? What has Carnival introduced to cruising in the past 5 years that hasn't been borrowed from another brand?

Flexible Dining? NCL

Jumbotrons? Princess

What did CCL introduced or innovate that changed the industry?

Nothing at all. they are the most inept, unprofessional, half-baked cruiseline in the business. All the awards they have won in the past 5 years are simply phony publicity...it's all nonsense. They would never win an award...being such a shell of a company who rook people in to cruising with their low, low rates.., their tacky ships with no shopping malls, no "for-fee" venues, sloppy service,no carousels or rock walls. And, all those TA;s out there who voted them #1 for cruise expierence are obviously inept and low class...who were probably bought off by the Corporate office.

They are shameful......

It's' a wonder that, in just a little under 40 years, they've gone from a one ship operation to owning most of the major cruise companies in the world...they have probably scammed them all.

It's an abomination. I tell ya.

G'Ma are you ever going to tell us what entertainment venues RCCL charges for? Or did we ask a question you can't answer? I really want to know before my next cruise if RCCL is charging for entertainment like you say. I really hope you weren't just telling lies cuz if you were how can anyone believe any of your reviews or anything. Your credibility would be completely shot.

They serve smoked salmon. I think Mr. Pete is referring to belly lox. You probably can't even find it on a boat sitting at the pier in Red Hook. Whatever happened to tradition? Oh, I know...it's a whole nova world. :(

I never new the difference Thank you fo explaining that I always thought it was the same

But @ least they have smoked salmon. So my GF will be happy when we cruise on the Magic

Btw we are having LAX this am it is smoked salmon from Sweeden:D

I'm willing to go without some of the frills to have a more reasonable price for a stateroom I want, I can get a Lido balcony on a CCL for the price of an inside at water level aboard the Oasis

I like all the extras but doubt I would partake in many of them, maybe the wave rider if the line wasnt a mile long

I'm willing to go without some of the frills to have a more reasonable price for a stateroom I want, I can get a Lido balcony on a CCL for the price of an inside at water level aboard the Oasis

I like all the extras but doubt I would partake in many of them, maybe the wave rider if the line wasnt a mile long

Oh dont worry, Carnival just built a FlowRider in Turks & Caicos for you guys. Oh but its 30 bucks, not included in your cruise fare :(

Host Mach (who has never been on a RCL ship, but decided he doesnt like RCL accused me of generalizing when I said any mention of Oasis in the title of a thread here brings out the cheerleaders.

I think once again I have been proved right .. the very mention of Oasis here on Carnival brings out people on both sides. Amusing!!!!!

I can get a Lido balcony on a CCL for the price of an inside at water level aboard the Oasis

I sure would prefer a balcony over more "stuff to do" on the ship.

I can entertain myself, thank you anyway. Just give me a deck chair and the sea and I am happy. Save the ice rinks, bowling alleys, rock walls, and flow riders for the people who would have been a lot happier with a week at the beach.

star2.bmpAin't No Competition for Oasis-Class Fares. Goldstein was asked if Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas would continue to command premium prices. "We don't see any potential new entrants into the category in the near future that would rival the types of features, amenities, choices and variety that Oasis-class ships offer to our guests," answered Goldstein. "So we would expect to continue to command premiums."

Do the Math: Profits

In the financial department, RCCL posted a net profit of $42.7 million on $1.6 billion in revenue during Q4 of 2010, compared to $3.35 million (on $1.45 billion in revenue) in the same period last year. Fuel costs came in at $4 million better than expected (reduced consumption hedging).

For the full year, net income was $547.5 million, compared with $162.4 million for the full year 2009. Revenues for the full year 2010 increased 15 percent to $6.8 billion from revenues of $5.9 billion in 2009. Net cruise costs excluding fuel declined by 1.6 percent, marking the third year in a row of reduced costs.

Still, not all analysts were excited about the Q4 results or RCCL's Q1 guidance, which was less virile than Wall Street expected. A Reuters report said the disappointment was connected to net yield, which takes into account operating costs and the number of days at sea. Net yield was up 3.2 percent in Q4. Analysts had expected an increase of about 5 percent. (Profits, however, beat expectations.) Executives blamed extreme weather conditions (snowstorms in Europe and the Northeast United States, plus the Brilliance of the Seas nightmare cruise) which impacted the company's voyages and impaired some passengers' ability to make their departures.

Host Mach (who has never been on a RCL ship, but decided he doesnt like RCL accused me of generalizing when I said any mention of Oasis in the title of a thread here brings out the cheerleaders.

I think once again I have been proved right .. the very mention of Oasis here on Carnival brings out people on both sides. Amusing!!!!!

Well I have been on RCCL and there is no reason to choose them over CCL.

Amazing how many people who have NEVER been on a Carnival cruise come out of the woodwork. Things must be really bad on the "Number Two" cruise line if they are over here begging for customers.

Because Carnival's cost per berth is significantly lower than Royal's, there is no way Royal can compete price wise. On the rare occasion where Royal is cheaper, they are bound to be losing money.

As for space per passenger, I prefer it in the privacy of my cabin and not some artsy fartsy shared and dead public space.

Royal is very innovative with those inside balconies :D. Indeed, they have reinvented the apartment complex where you can see what your neighbor is doing. Of course, voyeurs and stalkers probably find them attractive. :p

Carnival takes note of every innovation and/or "gimmick" that RCI (and other cruise lines) introduces and does so to remain competitive with RCI.

That fact is apparent when RCI introduced the water parks on the Freedom class ships and Carnival quickly sent their Fantasy class ships into dry dock to incoporate this "gimmick" onboard their vessels. This in turn lead to other ships in their receiving this "gimmick."

The cantilivered whirlpools that were introduced on the Freedom class ships were introduced on the Dream class vessels in addition to the adult solarium (serenity) pool areas.

Carnival execs are well aware of what they need to do to remain competitive. They are not sitting around so confident that they're number one and have no worries....NOT! In order to remain number 1, they have to remain competitive and offer their guests as many "gimmicks" that customers want...not a what a few CC members want or think they should have.

That's why their latest Dream class ships have been retooled with "gimmicks" that the original Dream doesn't have (i.e., ropes course, outdoor weight lifting, additional waterslide - identical to the one on the Epic and two level mini golf).

So just because they haven't pushed the envelope with some of "gimmicks" RCI, DCL and NCL have introduced doesn't mean they wont in the very near future and haven't done so already.

lol. wow. simply wow. Love seeing grown men and women (some seniors mind you) act so childish. Anyway have fun guys on your cruises, whichever line you love! To each his own! I just shared a carnival concept video and then people start bashing RCCL? cmon were better then that.

i completely agree with you! coming from a 16 year old who has equal views on both lines, well sometimes rccl is a little higher:D

Archived