Making Mojitos

cruiserkelly

So...this board has me all paranoid now. I really love to drink mojitos while on vacation, so if we buy some rum from BV...could I bring in my carry-on/checked bags a little thing of lime juice, some mint, and sugar? I don't want to pay for the overpriced, watered down versions at the bar, so I thought I'd try making my own. But from reading all these posts, now I'm all paranoid about not being able to bring the "mixers".

So...this board has me all paranoid now. I really love to drink mojitos while on vacation, so if we buy some rum from BV...could I bring in my carry-on/checked bags a little thing of lime juice, some mint, and sugar? I don't want to pay for the overpriced, watered down versions at the bar, so I thought I'd try making my own. But from reading all these posts, now I'm all paranoid about not being able to bring the "mixers".

All I have to say is that they are not watered down at the bar.. I drink those alot on a cruise and they are great....;)

You have 92 days til cruising. go to a website for Testefully simple and look up their drink mixes. Neat thing is they come in a bucket so to speak with a resealable lid. Next week Im bringing my mojito mix and getting liquor from well lets just say I have friends doing this as a B2B and they are on it a week before me too. So anyway, if you dont find what you like there the Christmas Tree Shoppes usually have dry powdered drink mixers.

I heard the ones made on carnival they use a machine to mash the mint, instead of by hand with a proper masher.. that could be why you didnt care for them as much too.

All the cruises I have been on they have never mashed the mint in a blender always by hand with a muddler...

All the cruises I have been on they have never mashed the mint in a blender always by hand with a muddler...

Thanks. They had them for $3.75 .. once, as a port special during the hour or two the ship left a port. Never saw them that price again. I wasnt sure what to make of them.

We also buy our stuff through bon voyage or any ships version. We brought our favorite Mojito mix, a lime and mint in our carry on openly but I can't remember if it was on Carnival or another line. If you don't find the answer you can just bring it and they will tell you if it is an issue. If they say no to the lime and mint it will be no big loss. We can probably get both on the ship anyway but I never asked because I had my own.

I actually like Mojitos made with Vodka more than the rum Mojitos.

Unless a Mojito is made this way I do not want one....Rum may be substituted...

1 part of Bacardi® Superior rum

3 parts of club soda

12 leaves mint

1/2 lime

1 wedge of lime

1 tbsp sugar

Place mint leaves, sugar, and 1/2 lime in glass. Muddle well with a pestle. Add Bacardi Rum, top off with Club Soda, stir will and garnish with sprigs of mint or lime

Carn-evil does not make them this way....If though you find a bartender that is willing to take a tip at the beginning of the week they will do this all week for you....Every place you go anymore is using a mix it seems instead of taking the time to make them right....

I LOVE mojitos, but am a little picky about how they taste. I've come up with my own version out of necessity when last summer I couldn't get good limes, and I stay away from real sugar.

To make one mojito I use three packets of True Lime (crystalized lime juice), three packets of Splenda, and then the rum, club soda, and mint. I'm like you in that I've tried to come up with a portable way to make them. So far I haven't come up with a substitute for the fresh mint. If you could, you could very easily bring along what you needed and just buy cans of club soda at the bar to mix your own.

Archived