early arrival in athens

sheba5

Our plane will arrive in Athens at 7.15am and we are wondering how early you can check in your luggage at the cruise port. Also does anyone know if there is a waiting area available so early in the morning?

If you are not spending any additional time in Athens, I might suggest that you consider booking private transportation to the port with some time spent touring Athens beforehand. It won't be inexpensive, but certainly more enjoyable than sitting at the port waiting for them to allow you onboard.

When I was boarding in Piraeus in September, the terminal building we used had a few seats lining the walls but not very comfortable and not air-conditioned (or if it was, the doors to outside were open so it wasn't exactly effective. There is a small duty-free shop but nowhere to buy a meal (so far as I remember).

I agree with cruisemom. With your early arrival, you can have a private taxi/tour company (see the many recommended in this board) to pick you up and take you sightseeing. With the new motorways out of Athens, it is perfectly possible to go Corinth, Mycenae and Epidaurus for the day and be back at the port with plenty of time for boarding. Another option is to go instead to Cape Sounion in the morning and back into Athens for some sightseeing. Or else, have them take you directly to Athens to get into the Acropolis early and then go to the new Acropolis museum followed by some sightseeing around the Plaka.

Do not waste a whole day sitting in a dismal terminal. Many cruise ships do not sail until after 9 pm although you can start boarding in the afternoon. That gives you a long time for touring instead of sitting at a terminal and then on the boat in a not very attractive port/dock area. Your suitcases will be safe with the driver and you will have the opportunity to visit some wonderful places. Your early landing gives you a great opportunity, don't miss it.

Archived