Amount of 'hold' on debit card for S&S acct?

laura2161

Does anyone know how much of a 'hold' Carnival puts on your debit card for your S&S acct? I checked w/ carnival.com and all it says is that

"If you are using a credit card or debit/check cashing card please be advised that there will be a hold placed on your account as a deposit for your onboard purchases. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. "

We're taking a 'shorty' cruise- Just a 3 nighter. You think it will be more than a couple hundred per person to start? Just wondering as I like to figure out which card(s) I will be using before I go. Thanks!

Laura

On a three night cruise, it should be $100.00 per person. They will up the hold if it looks like you getting close to the original hold, but I'm not quite sure what additional amounts they hold. I know that on our 2000 cruise our S&S bill was about 6200.00 (we took nieces, nephews, sister) and they put an additional hold of about 2400.00 above that. I had to call and three way then with my bank to get it removed.

They place an initial hold on your card. Then as the cruise progresses, they "hold" an additional amount daily equal to the previous days charges. After the cruise, they put through a charge for your bill *BUT* they do not bother to cancel the previously-placed holds. Meaning that you have 1) paid for your bill and 2) have an equal amount of funds unavailable until the holds expire naturally (approx 7-10 days).

They place an initial hold on your card. Then as the cruise progresses, they "hold" an additional amount daily equal to the previous days charges. After the cruise, they put through a charge for your bill *BUT* they do not bother to cancel the previously-placed holds. Meaning that you have 1) paid for your bill and 2) have an equal amount of funds unavailable until the holds expire naturally (approx 7-10 days).

Eeeks. That I did not know. That info sure changes things a bit. Heck- It changes things alot. Thanks for the info.

helicopter>>Thank you as well. Thats what I was 'thinking' but wasnt sure.

On my recent Miracle 7-day cruise, I inquired about this and was told it was a $400 hold. The other option was $200 cash - I chose this option. My Dad & Stepmom chose the credit card, and did not have any additional holds put on - just the original $400.

Hmmm. See, I'm still learning things here. I didn't know there was a hold of any kind on debit cards. I pay for my cruise with my debit card, and then give it to the person to swipe during embarkation process.....never even thought about having a hold on it.:confused: Oh well, haven't had any problems.

I stand corrected, but I believe the hold is $l0.00 per person per day for tips and $60.00 per person per day for purchases.....Total hold of $70.00 per person per day.

I know this is the case on Holland America and I believe it is the same on Carnival.

Others may know better and correct me.

You would never know about the excess holds unless you inadvertently bumped into your credit limit/available cash, *or* had the ability to monitor it. After returning from the Triumph cruise last year, I looked at the activity online and saw exactly what was happening. You never see the phantom holds on any printed statements.

It's a good policy to use one payment method for your onboard S&S account, and have another source for any port purchases.

I stand corrected, but I believe the hold is $l0.00 per person per day for tips and $60.00 per person per day for purchases.....Total hold of $70.00 per person per day.

I know this is the case on Holland America and I believe it is the same on Carnival.

Others may know better and correct me.

The tips are all charged upfront on the first day for each person in your folio. In fact, it will be the very first item to hit your S&S account.

They will not put any type of hold on your card. Just the charges that you make. Obviously the tips will be put on your card right away and if you purchase any drinks or shore excursions these will be put on there but they will not put a hold on there. You are getting confused with if you are paying with cash at the end. Then you have to make a cash deposit at the beginning of the cruise for about 300 -400 bucks. But with a card nothing is taken out until it is spent.

When I returned home, I still had a hold on my credit card. It wasnt a debit card. I had paid my bill, of course, but I still had an additional $200 hold that had my card limited out. It took about a week for it to free up. We used two differant cards, both credit, and the hold was on only one of them. Maybe the time factor had to do with the credit company?

I agree with tef43 on this one. I think it would be wise for all future cruisers to note what he said about this issue because he is correct.

You can check your account online, but the holds will never show on your printed statement.

The advice to use one card for your shipboard charges and a different one in port is also good advice. However, I use cash in port and a credit card for my S&S charges.

Guest Time2gocruzn
On my recent Miracle 7-day cruise, I inquired about this and was told it was a $400 hold. The other option was $200 cash - I chose this option. My Dad & Stepmom chose the credit card, and did not have any additional holds put on - just the original $400.

So was that $200 per person? We are a family of 4 and I am wondering what I am going to have to come up with. Our kids are 4 and almost 2 so they will not have charging privledges. Thanks!

Here is my question, I am a cash only person... I pay everything with cash. Went on the Disney cruise last year and put cash up front and requested periodic statements to see my balance. At the end, they owed me like 3 dollars.. lol. Does Carnival allow you to pay up front and up your account as you go along? Thanks, Eileen:confused:

Here is my question, I am a cash only person... I pay everything with cash. Went on the Disney cruise last year and put cash up front and requested periodic statements to see my balance. At the end, they owed me like 3 dollars.. lol. Does Carnival allow you to pay up front and up your account as you go along? Thanks, Eileen:confused:

Yes.

Archived