Crossing the Atlantic in December

cmillard

Hi everyone,

I am looking at taking the 16 day Oceania "Marina" cruise from Rome to Miami (crossing the Atlantic) this November. It's a re-positioning cruise and the price is amazing! The ship is brand new, so I know it's gorgeous. My only concern is crossing the Atlantic in the winter. I have mentioned this cruise to a few friends and they are also a little wary of that. Has anyone done this itinerary in the winter before? If so, how rough is the crossing? Thanks for your info and advice.

Carol :)

I think in part it is what you are comfortable with and what your objectives are.

We did the crossing last Novmeber on the Prinsendam. She is smaller than the Marina. The biggest issue was the Med as we missed Naples and Sardinia due to the wind. Our stay in Rome was certainly not enhanced by the torrential rain. However, for us the ship movement was not an issue but I know it was for some of our fellow passengers. As previously stated, it might be clear and calm the whole way. If you want to be certain of good port weather or sunning on board, I think it is too late in the year.

We are booked on this cruise so last year's experience didn't deter us. What it has done is caused us to rethink our precruise plans so we now plan to spend time in Florence so we can enjoy it regardless of the weather!

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I am looking at taking the 16 day Oceania "Marina" cruise from Rome to Miami (crossing the Atlantic) this November. It's a re-positioning cruise and the price is amazing! The ship is brand new, so I know it's gorgeous. My only concern is crossing the Atlantic in the winter. I have mentioned this cruise to a few friends and they are also a little wary of that. Has anyone done this itinerary in the winter before? If so, how rough is the crossing? Thanks for your info and advice.

In fact, Marina is doing a TA at this moment (and January would definitely qualify for winter).

You can read all about it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339111

They've had some rough seas but you can have it even in the Med sometimes.

Our only December crossing was in 2004 on the QE2, and it was VERY rough the first 3 days or so. I finally had to give in and get a shot, after which I was pretty comfortable. At least I could eat dinner again!

But the North Atlantic is the North Atlantic!

Given that we've had rough weather and smooth-as-glass weather on our two TAs on more southern routes (NCL in April 2010, NYC to Venice, and on O in April 2009, Miami to Barcelona) I agree -- awfully hard to announce a hard and fast rule.

Hi everyone,

Asking about weather to be experienced in the Atlantic, at any time of year, is akin to asking 'how long is a piece of string?' I am afraid that you will get what King Neptune decides, at the time, to give you. Rough to very rough to horribly rough to glassy smooth, warm. humid days.

There are areas of ocean that are impossible to predict what the weather will be at any time. We have rounded the notorious Cape Horn and wondered what a pack of woosies early seamen must have been. Give me a break, glassy smooth with wonderful blue skies, but don't ask about the next time, we took back all we thought of the early sailors.

I belong to an organization called "The Winter Crossing Club". We cross the North Atlantic every January between Southampton and New York.

This was the first crossing in quite a few years where we really had any significant motion to the ocean.

Mid ocean was fine. It wasn't until we got closer to the New England coastline where we ran into the low creating hurricane force winds. And honestly, it wasn't all that bad. I do suffer from mal de mer terribly. One Bonine a day and I am fine.

Since you'll be taking a more southerly route, I wouldn't hesitate at all to book.

We did the TA last Nov. 13-27 on the Regatta. It was warm and sunny in Barcelona when we left and a bit cooler the next day in Tangiers, probably mid 60s. Warm in Madiera as well, then we started the 5-day crossing. It was quite rough on the 2nd day, better after that, but it was never cold. People swam and sunned almost every day. The woman paid by the ship to do "jewelry lectures" and then sell the over-priced pieces was most affected by the seas and canceled several lectures. This was a good thing. It was warm in Bermuda but rainy. We had a veranda cabin on deck 7 and sat outside every day. I noticed that many fellow passengers wore the sea-sickness patch behind an ear, but I was never affected by the seas and quite enjoyed the rocking of the boat at night. We are going to do it again this year, but this time on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam because of the great itinerary.

Archived