Are "tips" the same as "Gratuity"?

I was just wondering if they are the same or different. I am about to go on a cruise and they have the gratuity included in my price. On RCCL we gave the staff tips at the end of the cruise. I never heard of them taking it as opposed to us giving the tip to the staff personally. Is this a new thing, only on carnival?

:rolleyes:

Carnival will add gratutiies on your sign and sail card. These gratuties can be taken off once you get onboard by visiting the Pursers desk. This can not be done if they are prepaid. You will be charged 10 bucks a day per person which tips the cabin steward/waiter and asst waiter.

Princess does the same thing. I like it - one less thing for me to worry about the last night. Although I have no clue why someone would want to prepay the tips thus eliminating any possibility of removing them later. I have NEVER had poor enough service to warrant removing tips, and have even tipped extra in cash, but I still like to keep my options open. The only reason I can think of for prepaying tips is a lack of budgeting skills, but maybe there is a good reason, too - I just haven't found it.

Sometimes the shorter cruises charge you tips in with your final payment. My cruise on the Legend= my cabin steward never made up my cabin at all the whole weekend. We used the same towels on Sunday that we had on Friday. No ice except from room service. We recieved no service at all. But since tips were prepaid there was not a lot we could do.

Are "tips" the same as "Gratuity"?Good question, my opinion is there is a difference.

"TIPS" are an amount that I tip somebody based on the level of service provided.:)

"Gratuity" is an amount they tell me how they want and automatically add it to the bill. E.g. Cruises, resturants (if you have more than 8 at one table), limo's, etc. I think its cheap management skills to ensure their employee's get tips regardless of how the service was. Sure you can go to the pursers desk and complain, but is it worth the hassle. Because of that I will never add a tip to a gratuity. But will tip more that the "standand gratuity rates" if the service warrants it.

:mad:

Archived