Does "Confined to Cabin" = "Trip Interruption"?

DontTreadOnMe

Hmmm... Iffy, but I'd say yes. (At least, under the wording of the TravelGuard Gold plan... don't know about other providers.) I would suggest calling the provider and asking.

Also, I think at least some cruise lines will issue a reimbursement for the lost days and in that case, you would not have to file.

SirWired

If you are quarantined due to illness while on a ship will you be able to recover the cost of the days on which you were confined to quarters?

Most plans include "quarantine" as a covered reason for trip cancellation and/or trip interruption. However, very few of them provide a definition of "quarantine". One exception is Access America which has this:

Under covered reasons:

Quarantine: You or a traveling companion are quarantined.

In the definitions:

Quarantine: Mandatory isolation or restrictions on where you can go, intended to

stop a contagious disease from spreading.

So to me it sounds like you could make a claim under the trip interruption coverage for the days you're confined to your cabin. But I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the replies. That is pretty much how I was reading it. Hopefully I will never have to find out if it is covered! :D

Just be sure to find the plan's definition of "quarantine", if you can. One plan I've seen (can't find it now) defines it as being confined to your primary place of residence which would allow you to cancel the trip but wouldn't let you file a trip interruption claim. This is why it's so frustrating that most plans don't publish what definition these decision will be based on.

I can't say this question comes up a lot. Why would someone book a cruise and then ask "if I get sick and confined to my room, will my insurance cover it?"

Who thinks like that? Is it just me that finds this odd, or is this the norm to cover all bases?

Is there such a thing as "I really didn't have as good a time as I thought I would" insurance?" I mean, the last thing on my mind would be: "do I get paid for being sick"

Is it just me? Hum? No really, If you think I'm wrong.......go ahead and flame me.............we really really could use the heat up here:D AND, we are getting a snow storm from TEXAS!!!!! How weird is that? Not only will we have to face gale force winds,whiteout and blizzard conditions, but will have to deal with the palm trees stuck in the snow!;)

I can't say this question comes up a lot. Why would someone book a cruise and then ask "if I get sick and confined to my room, will my insurance cover it?"

Who thinks like that? Is it just me that finds this odd, or is this the norm to cover all bases?

Is there such a thing as "I really didn't have as good a time as I thought I would" insurance?" I mean, the last thing on my mind would be: "do I get paid for being sick"

Is it just me? Hum? No really, If you think I'm wrong.......go ahead and flame me.............we really really could use the heat up here:D AND, we are getting a snow storm from TEXAS!!!!! How weird is that? Not only will we have to face gale force winds,whiteout and blizzard conditions, but will have to deal with the palm trees stuck in the snow!;)

No flame here, you just may have misunderstood the question or the concern.

It would be very possible to have a stomach ache, go see the ships doctor for some pepto and the doc actually confine you to your cabin due to possible Noro outbreak. Happens all the time.

I can say that I've never considered using insurance for this event, but I sure am glad that someone asked the question.

I have learned something today. I can now go home.

Well, this IS a discussion board about insurance... questions about coverage are kind of what it's here for.

What a great question

I never even thought of that

I wonder. Would the claim be for the period you were locked up or the whole voyage?

Gramps

Any trip interruption claim only covers the UNUSED portion of your trip. So the amount of the claim (if it is a valid claim) would be for a pro-rated share of the total cruise cost.

No flame here, you just may have misunderstood the question or the concern.

It would be very possible to have a stomach ache, go see the ships doctor for some pepto and the doc actually confine you to your cabin due to possible Noro outbreak. Happens all the time.

I can say that I've never considered using insurance for this event, but I sure am glad that someone asked the question.

I have learned something today. I can now go home.

I don't think I misunderstood the question. I was just amazed that you could buy this type of insurance. I think we both learned something today.

Well, this IS a discussion board about insurance... questions about coverage are kind of what it's here for.

Thank you. It's a bit warmer, maybe 2 or 3 degrees but it does help (each capital raises the temp):) I was simply amazed that you could buy this type of insurance......I did not know it existed. Furthermore....and more along the lines of my post, I would never even consider the "what ifs" regarding compensation if I got Noro on a cruise. Maybe it's just me but I should probably stand on guard in the latrine and enforce the rules plastered on the bathroom mirrors.:rolleyes:

Happily, you don't have to buy this type of insurance separately. It is a routine policy provision that is part of most comprehensive insurance packages because the insurance company has already thought of it for you.

Doncha just LOVE insurance companies.............they always think of everything!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Had this experience -- never wish to repeat it. Was a cruise from hell having multiple members of our party sick with Noro and confined to quarters. Was not fun having "yuck" coming out both ends in a small interior cabin with no way to get rid of the accompanying stench. And, wow, did it stink in there after awhile! The movement of the ship only made the nausea worse.

About the only good thing was that the ship had a designated "puke patrol" crew member who would come clean the bathroom and change the sheets. So we didn't have to do that. They brought us a dvd player, choice of movies, popsicles and whatever food we wanted (which wasn't much) to the cabin. Had to be fever and puke/runs free for 24 hours to be released from quarantine.

We didn't have insurance on that cruise but the cruise line (Disney) graciously gave us a generous credit towards a future cruise. So, if trip insurance covers that, great. At least you'd get some reimbursement for the lost days of your vacation.

Archived