Buda or Pest in Budapest?

chloes nana

I need help, I want to see what all the CC people out there that have been to Budapest think. I am planning this only 7 months out, so need some feedback as to which side you would stay on, and what hotel there.

Right now I am leaning to the Hilton on Church Hill on the Buda side. To note we have one full day to ourselves to see what we want and go where we want, so I need to know what you think.. thanks in advance for all the help!:D

I need help, I want to see what all the CC people out there that have been to Budapest think. I am planning this only 7 months out, so need some feedback as to which side you would stay on, and what hotel there.

Right now I am leaning to the Hilton on Church Hill on the Buda side. To note we have one full day to ourselves to see what we want and go where we want, so I need to know what you think.. thanks in advance for all the help!:D

I visited Budapest in 1984 when Soviet soldier were all over the city. We stayed on the Buda side at the Gellert, which is a historic old hotel over a natural hot springs. Loved the Hungarians, loved the food, and the beautiful city.

Take a trip to your local library or bookstore- check out Lonely Planet's Hungary or Budapest books- these give good instructions on how to reach tourist sites by public transport. As well use Lonely Planet's website The Thorn Tree- locals and tourists will answer your questions with authority or try a coach tour's website and check out the Tour tales [eg Insight or Trafalgar]- there is far more info on such sites.

Budapest has a superb and efficient metro system [and it was the 1st in continental Europe]

You can see dozens of sites using the metro eg Heroes Square on the yellow line, St Stephen's Basilica [metro M2 Arany Janos utca] or catch trams or buses eg to Margrit Island [bus no 4 or 6].

We followed LP's instructions to take the Cog railway, then the Children's Railway to the 4th stop Janos-Hegy and the highest point- then walked up to the Elizabeth Tower and finally took the chair-lift down.

There is a 2 hour Hop on Hop Off bus tour available as well- so you could hop off at a particular site and then rejoin later to continue a full day's sightseeing. These buses certainly make touring easy.[http://www.citytour.hu]

The baths and spas still operate and there are many to choose from.

Most people can understand a little English though they may feel embarrassed at trying to reply- younger people will probably want to practise their English.

I would suggest staying at a central hotel close to a metro.

Readers, also refer to our conversation on Budapest Hotel thread as well. So there you have it in a nutshell as our friends from New South Wales have suggested. Wherever you stay, make sure you are near a metro. Typically, that would be on the Pest side. That being said, if you never tire of that breathtaking view from the Buda Hilton, and do not mind the expense of taxis, stay on the Buda side. I did not find taxis prohibitively expensive in Budapest. I just feel it's more fun to take public transportation, which gives you a better feel for a foreign city, and you will be closer to everything on the Pest side.

Readers, also refer to our conversation on Budapest Hotel thread as well. So there you have it in a nutshell as our friends from New South Wales have suggested. Wherever you stay, make sure you are near a metro. Typically, that would be on the Pest side. That being said, if you never tire of that breathtaking view from the Buda Hilton, and do not mind the expense of taxis, stay on the Buda side. I did not find taxis prohibitively expensive in Budapest. I just feel it's more fun to take public transportation, which gives you a better feel for a foreign city, and you will be closer to everything on the Pest side.

I agree with what you say. Both sides have something to recommend. However, if ease of transport (Metro or tram) is more important, you may wish to stay on the Pest side, and visit the Buda side for sightseeing. That is what we did, and were not disappointed.

I would definitely stay on the Pest side where a lot of the International Hotels are alongside the Danube between the Chain Bridge & the Elizabeth Bridge.

From there you are close to the extensive tram network, plus the Metro . Also from your Hotel on the Pest side you can walk to so many major attractions including the markets, Houses of Parliament, Opera House, House of Terror (on Andrassy).

To get to the Buda side walk from your hotel across the Chain Bridge and you will see a road tunnel with footpath straight ahead of you . You can walk through the tunnel, or take the cable car up the hill to the Castle or fortifications or even walk up hundreds of steps .

Budapest is a real surprise , truly the Paris of the East . Try to take in an Opera at their beautiful Opera House on the Pest side . Some great shopping too, and of course the exquisite Cafe New York .

I always am amazed with this question and how some folks will insist that one side is best for all people than the other. ;-) There are several factors to consider when deciding what is best for YOU. Do you want a more city and busy environment with lots of late-night shopping and restaurants, or are views and a slower pace more your style? Do you plan to use public transportation, or will you be more comfortable with a taxi or HOHO bus? After doing your research what do you hope to do with your day in Budapest? Where are your "must-dos" located?

We stayed at the Hilton on Castle Hill and enjoyed it immensely. The area was a wonderful place to wander in the morning and evening, after the tour groups left. The views were wonderful from the Bastion, the restaurants were quiet (but we thought very good for our needs). We took the HOHO bus one day to see (and visit) what we wanted to on the Pest side. On the Buda side we did visit the Hospital in the Rock which some might say is a tourist trap, but we did find it very fascinating.

There is no "best" for everyone. Weigh your options and decide. Either side has advantages and disadvantages.

Considering that you have only one full day on your own, I would definitely choose Pest. Public transportation is excellent - convenient, easy, frequent, inexpensive.

Yes, the views are spectacular from Buda but you don't have a lot of time for "viewing". There are many more classic visitor sites on the Pest side that can be accomplished in one day: Parliament Building and Square, Great Market, Holocaust Center, Great Temple, Opera House, baths, Heroes Square, art museums, Vorosmarty Square, House of Terror (off-putting name and not a happy time but really worth visiting), Vaci Utca, Basilica, concert hall, Gerbeaud Pastry and lots more! Plus, the riverboats are on the Pest side.

Stay on the Pest side this time - you have another reason to return ;)- to stay on the Buda side. It is a beautiful city

Our boat also docked on the Buda side. We stayed on the Pest side at the Intercontinental which was right on the river, close to Vaci Utca, and near public transportation to the rest of the city (both sides). We took a taxi to the riverboat, as it was on the other side of the bridge, but it wasn't very much. Some of the people from our group stayed at the Sofitel which was next door.

If you are still in the early planning stage I would encourage you to spend more time in Budapest if possible. We loved it, and there was so much to see that a few days was not enough.

One of our favorite hotels is the Gellert on the Buda side, directly across the bridge from the huge public market on the Pest side. Just across the street from the hotel is the university where the 1956 revolt against the Russians began. There are a couple of authentic Hungarian restaurants near the Gellert which are worth visiting. What may be of interest is the former Swedish embassy just up the street behind the hotel. On the building is a plaque memorializing Raoul Wallenberg one of the great heroes of the 20th century.

We stayed in Budapest after our Uniworld River Empress trip Oct. 2009 and had researched on Trip Advisor and found the Corinthia Grand Hotel. Although a bit more money, upgrade to the executive level and have all inclusive breakfast, lunch and light dinner (with drinks). It made our time so much easier not having to worry about food choices. It has tram lines right out front and is an easy walk to the main attractions. The hotel is beautiful (It was the post stay hotel for Uniworld but we booked separately) Enjoy Budapest and you will want to either stay longer or go back again. The contrasts between the old regime and the new democracy can be seen everywhere.

Archived