Main Dining Room Sirloin Steaks are....

Mr. Luckytoo

I know that RCL and =X= both offer their sirloin steaks in the MDR every night. My wife and I have ordered them in the past but on most occasions we've found then not to our liking - too tough and lacking flavor.

My wife's biggest complaint was why did they always come with that garlic butter? On a recent cruise on RCL she ordered the sirloin (without garlic butter) and didn't like it. On our Millie cruise she ordered it one night and found it was to her liking.

In general it has been our opinion that the 'everyday steak' in the MDR's isn't really that good. It's edible but not something we prefer.

Just to give a comparison where we live there is a place called Texas Roadhouse Grill where we order their sirloin and it is fantastic - it's almost as good as a filet (extremely lean and tender). Whereas our cruise steaks in the MDR have been tough and not lean.

On the other hand the steaks in the Specialty Dining have been wonderful - especially the filet in the Olympic!

We were just wondering what others thought of the everyday MDR steaks? Are we just too picky? :confused:

Also for those who have dined in Blu - how does their steak compare to the MDR?

Not sure if this is true on all RCL ships or not but my parents just got off their short 4 day cruise to the bahamas from florida and they said that it was an additional $25 to add on filet :eek:

For a while now most (if not all) RCI ships have the option of a Chops quality steak in the main dining room for a $15 upcharge. They still have a free lesser quality steak available each day as well.

We have a restaurant chain at home called The Keg, and it has great sirloin steaks. That being said, it is probably the only place where we have consistently had good sirloin steaks, though we keep trying them in many different venues, including cruise ships. DH LOVES steak, and while we don't find the sirloins on Celebrity horrible they are not the best we've had. Also, Sirloin will never be Filet, so you really can't compare the two.

We just returned from the Equinox last week and found the steaks to be outstanding. Celebrity certainly uses a higher grade of beef and can cook a steak. Even the minute steaks in the buffet at lunch were delicious.

On the other hand, we were on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas last November and the so-called steaks were as tough as shoe leather. One night I could not even eat it and I eat amost anything!

You are really asking alot out of the cheapest cut of "Steak". A sirloin was not meant to be compared to a Filet, Ribeye, Strip, T-Bone or Porterhouse. Most of the chains that sell them, have them on the menu because they are cheaper than the good cuts.

I did not try the everyday steak, but the aged sirloin (entrecote de paris on the menu) was exceptional.

We always get a steer butchered every year, so because we have such good quality beef at home (grass fed!) we don't normally eat steak out. But that specific meal was awesome.

We were on the Equinox on the 1/7 sailing and I have mentioned in previous posts. We thought and not just us but others, that the meat was fair to Ok, dried out and just about zero flavor but then again it is massed produced and ready to go. The beef in the cafe was ok as well, when they had a carving station, it looked great under the lights till you took it away. Now I am answering the question that was asked, it is a shame when the responses are 1. You can up charge for a better steak on RCCL 2. Oh the meat in the specialty restaurants is so good etc etc. It is very obvious that they are diverting the resources away from the MDR and cafe The steaks we had were like an outback or long horns.

Pete

I agree..the "always available steak" has not been very good anytime we have given it a try - I think the question which should be asked is ...WHY? Surely it must be obvious to the kitchen and that being said why not either make sure the beef is properly aged and selected for its tenderness OR marinade it. You would think this would be a concern as it ends up as a bad reflection on the kitchen.

I agree..the "always available steak" has not been very good anytime we have given it a try - I think the question which should be asked is ...WHY? Surely it must be obvious to the kitchen and that being said why not either make sure the beef is properly aged and selected for its tenderness OR marinade it. You would think this would be a concern as it ends up as a bad reflection on the kitchen.

I agree on all accounts, Celebrity called me when I got home said they had my review so I told them about the beef again among a few other food items, she said that they have heard that complaint about the beef so who knows

Pete

I guess what I was attempting to find out was what other people thought about the sirloin on the everyday menu. I know that a sirloin won't live up to a fillet.

I've given up ordering the everyday sirloin on RCCL. I was just wondering what people thought about the everyday steak on Celebrity. When we sailed on the Millie in October the meat was fair at best; better than RCCL.

The filets in the Olympic - very good; nicely aged.

Archived