Mallorca

taramick

I suppose you are referring to Palma de Mallorca? Palma is a nice old city with a beautiful cathedral. Mallorca has been conquered by the Romans, the Byzantines, the Arabs, all leaving their mark. The old centre has winding small streets with old churches. Also don't miss the casle and the Arab baths. Millions of European tourists visit Mallorca each year. There is a HoHo-bus and english is widely spoken. There are many gorgeous beaches and there is a nice marina in Palma.

The thing to buy in Palma is pearls. The most well-known are the Majorica brand, but there are many cultivated ones for knock-off prices.

Palma Nova and Magalluf have long sandy safe beaches, but please do note that these are 'party' resorts and beaches and they might be busy and loud. That of course might be what you are after. It wont be quite so bad in September if it is towards the end of the month, early September could be a bad choice for those beaches if loud is not what you want.

There are some nice beaches at Palma it'self, C'an Pere Antoni is one, there are several others.

Palma Nova and Magalluf have long sandy safe beaches, but please do note that these are 'party' resorts and beaches and they might be busy and loud. That of course might be what you are after. It wont be quite so bad in September if it is towards the end of the month, early September could be a bad choice for those beaches if loud is not what you want.

There are some nice beaches at Palma it'self, C'an Pere Antoni is one, there are several others.

Thanks Dave. We have kids (13 & 11) and will be going in August. We are not after busy & loud. But the kids do love water sports. As long as we could rent some beach chairs and there's some room, that would be fine. Do you think C'an Pere Antoni is more appropriate? We are looking for restaurants for lunch and drinks near or on the beach.

Len

C'an Pere Antoni will certainly be quieter (in terms of volume rather than people) than the main tourist beaches in Palma Nova etc as they attract more local and/or 'well travelled' people rather than the Club 18-30 type crowd.

Plenty of deck chairs to rent. Can't fully remember about bars/resturants as it's been a few years (5) since I went there but there were certainly some at the back of the beach, and the city is only a short walk away.

As for water sports, I'm thinking you are looking for pedallos, banana rides etc? then I don't think there are any, certainly weren't when I was there, but these things change all the time.

Palma Nova is more family-orientated and has gone somewhat upmarket compared to how it used to be; Magaluf remains very much a party resort devoted to mass-market British tourism - beer & all-day breakfasts.

Both of these of these have the advantage of being very long beaches, so there ought to be space. The nearest beach to the port at Palma is probably Illetes. It's in the same direction as Palma Nova, etc, but is a lot closer. It's also very nice beach, but it is very small so in August it might not be the best to aim for.

Archived