Formal dress evenings

katiecat

I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question but NCL is new to me.

I realize you dine when you want but do you wear casual clothing on all evenings? If I don't have to pack suits for my husband it saves alot of space in my luggage.

Thanks for your help!

There are no formal nights on NCL. They do have one or two "Dress Up or Not" nights when dressing up is entirely at your discretion. A small minority enjoys dressing up but most do not. If you opt to leave the suits at home, you'll be fine.

I went the entire week wearing either shorts, jeans, or khaki slacks. I wore white tennis shoes with all 3. Geeky? Perhaps. But made packing easy and I was comfortable. For shirts I wore t-shirts, simple short sleeve polo pullovers, or island casual short sleeve button ups. Never tucked a shirt in all week.

The dressiest I got was tan Dockers and a short sleeved polo, and those I wore a Cirque (specialty show/dinner), and same slacks with different shirt when we ate at Moderno. Regardless of how enamored people are with various styles of cruising, and what each find important, my family agrees it would take a monumental event for us to ever sail a non-freestyle ship again (Epic was our first NCL cruise)

Don't get me wrong, we've LOVED all our cruises, but this is much more our style and fits how WE want to spend our time. I have to admit, even on formal night on RCI (Vision) I wore a collarless dress T, jacket with matching pocket hankie and even got complements with no suit or tie (phew!!)

I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question but NCL is new to me.

I realize you dine when you want but do you wear casual clothing on all evenings? If I don't have to pack suits for my husband it saves alot of space in my luggage.

Thanks for your help!

We were on NCL- Dawn this past October on a 12 day NYC - Southern Caribbean repositioning cruise, actually it was our first time with NCL. We really enjoyed the freestyle concept in that there isn't any official"formal" nights(which I personally hate as I don't want to wear a suit/jacket/shirt-tie) while vacationing, more to the point I refuse to do do, hense NCL is a good fit. I wore my jeans with an open collar shirt, sandals practically every night in all of the dining venues, plenty others were dressed the same. Also, others had decent shorts on as well(no beach types nor cut-off jeans were permitted). Yes, I did see few cruisers in their finery during the 2 "dress up or not nights" but they were a small minority and they appeared to be happy/comfortable in such attire - good on them, I say. The vast majority dressed in casual slacks and open neck shirts and the ladies dressed same so if you feel you and hubby like this style of cruising, NCL just may be for you.

Enjoy

I chose this ship for where it takes me but without a laundry mat I was worried for 11 days sailing. This will all work out without the formal wear and different footwear. Thanks for your help.

There's always the 'stuff the laundry bag' special where you cram all you can in the paper laundry bag for $25. You can get a lot in there if you roll clothes and tape the top shut. Just be forewarned that they wash all in hot and will not iron but will fold the stuff. :)

There's always the 'stuff the laundry bag' special where you cram all you can in the paper laundry bag for $25. You can get a lot in there if you roll clothes and tape the top shut. Just be forewarned that they wash all in hot and will not iron but will fold the stuff. :)

I always requested that they put the collared shirts on hangers, and that is what we got, no extra charge, and they looked as good as ironed.

there are no stupid questions. never hesitate to ask anything, as others will be glad u voiced their not posted questions.

As for what u can wear in the main dining rooms for dinner on NCL, we have seen people turned away when they showed up in jeans, but chinos and knit shirts, no ties or jackets are more than acceptable. I think u might be ok if the jeans are neat and dressy, but the info does state that jeans are not acceptable in the main dining rooms at dinner. My husband wears and jacket and tie to work and really doesn't want to do so when on vacation. Certainly gives one much more room in luggage if suit jackets and formal wear are left at home, which is especially important in this day of baggage fees.

• 2 weeks later...
As for what u can wear in the main dining rooms for dinner on NCL, we have seen people turned away when they showed up in jeans, but chinos and knit shirts, no ties or jackets are more than acceptable. I think u might be ok if the jeans are neat and dressy, but the info does state that jeans are not acceptable in the main dining rooms at dinner.

This must have changed recently--NCL's website now says nice jeans are acceptable at dinner in the sit-down restaurants.

I haven't actually cruised yet but the dress code is a big reason I am choosing NCL for my first cruise.

Archived