2/6 Solstice, boarding to be delayed

waterbug123

On the way back to Ft Lauderdale. Ship still in major attempt trying to keep noro under control. Plan on being patient when being served. You can't touch anything. Even sugar packets, everything. Still having good time. Did miss out on the brunch buffet probably due to logistics of serving that many people. Most pax understand the difficulty of what's going on but there's always a handful who always complain. Crew working very, very hard to prevent any spread. Believe right now only a handful of pax are affected. Beautiful ship and weather!

Phil

Also, the TV remote,light switches, elevator buttons,door handles, seat arms,etc.,are all good places to be cautious with. Use elbows to open, keep your fingers out of noses, mouth, eyes (sorry). Be careful about using fingers for ice cubes and any food! Did you ever follow a child in the buffet area? Just be cautious and think twice - not much fun on a vacation, but I had the dreaded virus once and that was enough.

Embarkation on 1/30 was delayed and disorganized. We arrived at port around 12:15 and didn’t board until after 3:30. During the wait we were given one mini bottle of water and a cookie. We were told lunch would be provided once we entered the terminal, but it never appeared. Also were told that priority check in lines would be available after we got through security, but they were eliminated. Our cabin steward confirmed they will go through the same cleaning process this Sunday. My recommendation… don't arrive early, eat lunch before you arrive in port, bring something to drink with you as there are no vending machines in the area.

They managed to get everyone on board within around 2 ½ hours, but cabins weren’t ready until 5:30 ish. Once on board, the crew has gone above and beyond to try to make up for the rocky start and inconveniences.

I know there’s at least one person on our deck that is ill, but don’t know how many reported cases of illness there have been during this cruise. It’s obvious that management thinks there’s a problem. We’ve been told not to shake hands and until last night there were daily reminders during dinner seating about washing hands (an odd timing choice for this type of announcement). There was a significant increase in sanitizing activities in public areas last night… staff wiping down rails and tables every 10-15 minutes, officers and management employees throughout the ship that appeared to be talking to the staff about which surfaces to wipe down, spraying pillows and blankets on the top decks. The smell of bleach is present when you step off the elevators. They appear to be doing everything they can to keep the ship clean.

I feel badly for the people that are sick, but overall this hasn't impacted our cruise except for minor inconvenience. Hope this update is informational.

Thanks for your post-very helpful. We're on the Feb 6 sailing. We have the choice to cancel and rebook for another sailing. if it were you, would you take them up on it or sail anyway? I'm worried that there will be a somber and serious atmosphere. We've heard that deck 11 was the hardest hit. We're on deck 10. Any more specifics to share?

Thanks again

What a releif!!! It sounds like things are finally under control! Only a handful of passengers seems reasonable, I would imagine things are pretty much normal despite the extra cleaning, no sugar packets, no hand shaking, no serving yourself, no books in library etc. Im sure there is a fun lively atmosphere regardless of anything thats going... there are always a few cases of illness especially on a 7 day... my last cruise I felt terrible the last two days and got sick when I got home allthough that was strep throat and not nuro. I think we are in for smooth sailing and fun times... especially after another deep cleaning

The four of us are all psyched up for this cruise. Noro is not only on the cruise ships. My hairdresser came in on his day off, Tuesday, to do one of his customers who was going on vacation. She told him she had a virus and he did her hair. I was supposed to see him today, Friday, and I got a phone call that he was sick. He became ill on Thursday and was out today, Friday and tomorrow, Saturday. This is how the virus spreads.

If someone is not feeling well, they need to stay away from others and not spread the virus!!

The weather in Ft. Lauderdale has been wonderful. I expect to have a great 7 days ahead of us!

Safe and healthy travels on your way to Ft. Lauderdale!

I was on the January 23rd sailing of the Solstice. I must say that there was never a moment when there wasn't staff cleaning and sanitizing the ship. They were cleaning walls,rails,buttons,bathrooms,slot machines, literally everything. I only know of one person who got sick and it wasn't until the very last day. And don't worry about packing Purell, it is available at every turn you make on the ship. They have a dispenser as well as staff squirting it into your hands.

Yes, it was slightly inconvenient not being able to serve yourself at the buffett but it probably helped prevent me from over eating. Relax, have a great time. She is an absolutely stunning ship!

Just spoke with my parents, my dad had it. My mom didnt' have it. Four of the their friends had it also. They are sanitizing the ship constantly she said. They were really great about changing my dads sheets and towels constantly. Be safe everyone. Hopefully this end soon!! They loved the cruise though, besides being worried to catch i.

Just spoke with my parents, my dad had it. My mom didnt' have it. Four of the their friends had it also. They are sanitizing the ship constantly she said. They were really great about changing my dads sheets and towels constantly. Be safe everyone. Hopefully this end soon!! They loved the cruise though, besides being worried to catch i.

Yikes that sounds like a lot of people.

So sorry to hear! This is freaking me out...boarding the 20th...the situation is not improving!

Hi, my mom slept on the pullout couch once my dad got sick, hopefully she doesn't still get it. They will be in Florida until Tuesday at a friends house. She said the cabin steward was great, even checking on my dad during the 24 hours that he stayed in the cabin and she went off the ship with her friends. The room is so dark and he fell but he was ok thank goodness. The shot they gave him and the pills, made him so drowsy. They brought him toast and ginger ale.

Thanks for your post-very helpful. We're on the Feb 6 sailing. We have the choice to cancel and rebook for another sailing. if it were you, would you take them up on it or sail anyway? I'm worried that there will be a somber and serious atmosphere. We've heard that deck 11 was the hardest hit. We're on deck 10. Any more specifics to share?

Thanks again

We were on the sailing that got back on Jan 30th. Deck 6 (the one we were on) got it first and got it worst on our sailing but it was by no means contained to that deck. Number of sick in the several hundred, our guess around 400, based on our trips to the infirmary and the lists of patients and lines. Looks like it is still in full swing with the noro virus!

I don't know how they pulled off the ''extra sanitizing // scrubbing // cleaning// etcetc''...but I watched her leave at 5;30pm today...which is mere minutes off the advertized. They must have had an extra swift debarkation process which allowed a lock down ~~ 9;15/9;30am...

and a really REALLY speedy embarkation after the announced lock down.

Cheers

We were on the sailing that got back on Jan 30th. Deck 6 (the one we were on) got it first and got it worst on our sailing but it was by no means contained to that deck. Number of sick in the several hundred, our guess around 400, based on our trips to the infirmary and the lists of patients and lines. Looks like it is still in full swing with the noro virus!

Just got back. There were no signs of anyone sick on this sailing. No one that we met knew anyone who had been sick, and the staff we spoke to on the last day reported that the sailing had been free of the virus.

Looks like all the sanitizing paid off.

Archived