Statendam

Sherry H

I would choose the highest ocean view deck just to be closer to most of the decks you will want to visit, so you can avoid elevators. Not that there is anything wrong with the elevators, but I just don't like having to wait for them.

I like being just a few flights of stairs away from what I like to do. We were recently on the Statendam and she was fine. Food was not as good as other HAL ships, but still good enough. Just not over the top good like we had recently experienced on the Zuiderdam. Friends reported however the Pinnacle Grill was really good on the Statendam, but we did not try it ourselves.

Need to chose a deck and a ocean view stateroom. Do some of you have favorites?

There's some pros and cons for each deck.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck are smaller than the other outsides, although not by too much. They have the advantage of being close to doorways which take you directly to the largest veranda on the ship. During the day no one can see in your cabin; at night, with lights on, you need to keep the draperies closed.

The cabins on Main Deck are sandwiched between two passenger decks, so there is little noise. The walkers, however, pass directly overhead, so you may hear the pitter-patter of big feet. You can see the sea directly outside your window, which you can't do on Lower Promenade as there's a deck there.

The cabins below Main Deck are a little too low for my taste, but others find no problem.

I would choose a cabin aft of the forward elevators, but not too far back from them.

We are two weeks off the Statendam ... had a cabin on the Main Deck. We had plenty of rooom, a nice big window, and there was not much noise from the Lower Promenade deck just above. We did hear some heavy thuds once or twice, probably people trying to move the deck chairs, but no footsteps. On our tender day we could hear the mechanical sounds of the lifeboats being lowered.

We were very glad we did not pick a cabin on the Lower Promenade. Not only are they smaller, but you have no privacy - people can see inside during the day if your curtains are open (I know, I peeked!) And you wouldn't have a good view of the ocean anyway ...

Would have loved a balcony on a higher deck, but that was not to be for this cruise. Next time ... we have booked an aft balcony on Prinsendam in the fall. Can't wait!!

Archived