MDR Dress Code

cctimmom

Depends on time of year, sometimes length of cruise and sometimes departure port.

Summer and warm weather port cruises bring out more casual dress, and capri's are popular.

Men are in khakis and a polo shirt, and a fair number wear jeans and a polo. I'm in that group.

Formal nights a dark suit and tie work great for the first night, and I often skip the tie for the second formal night.

JMHO, but we see it on most every cruise.

I feel that when the quality of the food goes back to where it originally was, years ago, then I will go back to "dressing up" for dinner. The food that is NOW served in the extra pay venues is what was ONCE served in the MDR. If I choose to go to the extra pay restaurants, then I'll choose to "dress up". I know the price of cruising has relatively dropped.....but so have some services, and quality. In the meantime, I wear decent, but not necessarily dressy, clothes in the MDR, and buffets.

I agree - wouldn't matter to those who are "on vacation" and don't give a dang about anyone else. I've seen guys in expensive steakhouses (entrees in the $50-75 range) eating in baseball caps. No class at all and it shows.

Oh so thats how you tell if someone is classy or not, I always wondered. So dressed in my tux , drunk and chewing with my mouth open , I'm still classy because I dressed in a penguin suit. Thanks now I know. Hmmm wondered WEAR the statement "don't judge a book by it's cover" came from.;)

Oh so thats how you tell if someone is classy or not, I always wondered. So dressed in my tux , drunk and chewing with my mouth open , I'm still classy because I dressed in a penguin suit. Thanks now I know. Hmmm wondered WEAR the statement "don't judge a book by it's cover" came from.;)

Come on now............don't pretend that you don't know that wearing hats at the dinner table is considered rude. You also know that's what gerif was referring to. No one thinks a tuxedo wearing drunk chewing with his mouth open is classy. You are just trading one stereotype for another.

The point is people who have manners and care about dressing according to common standards, don't wear hats at the table. It's not judging a book by it's cover; it's just good manners.

Come on now............don't pretend that you don't know that wearing hats at the dinner table is considered rude. You also know that's what gerif was referring to. No one thinks a tuxedo wearing drunk chewing with his mouth open is classy. You are just trading one stereotype for another.

The point is people who have manners and care about dressing according to common standards, don't wear hats at the table. It's not judging a book by it's cover; it's just good manners.

Come now, you must be jesting. In many cultures it is more than acceptable to wear hat wear at formal functions and dinners, just as a man wearin a hat such as a yamaka for religious purposes or a man wearing a BASEBALL HAT for medical purposes, please quit stereotyping.;)

Last cruise we sat at a table next to someone in a tux on formal nights, and the above description would describe him. Racist comments during dinner, obviously drunk, and a chronic complainer. The kicker... he complained about not being let into the Diamond function wearing shorts.

FWIW, I will wear a shirt and tie for formal night, but because of packing restrictions I do not pack a sportscoat or full suit.

I think the writing is on the wall concerning less formal dress. Many of the luxury lines have gotten rid of formal nights altogether. We just returned from a Seadream Yacht Club cruise, and appreciated the more casual dress code, especially for the Caribbean.

Come now, you must be jesting. In many cultures it is more than acceptable to wear hat wear at formal functions and dinners, just as a man wearin a hat such as a yamaka for religious purposes or a man wearing a BASEBALL HAT for medical purposes, please quit stereotyping.;)

But in the good ol USof A it is not acceptable to wear a hat especially at dinner in the MDR:D

FWIW, I will wear a shirt and tie for formal night, but because of packing restrictions I do not pack a sportscoat or full suit.

Packing restrictions????? Do you travel with a back pack and a carry on only?????? I can fit my suit and all the other things I need in my suitcase...... Or does the wifey take up all the room ;):D

A man wearing a hat for religious purposes is obviously doing that because the hat is specific to his religion. The hats are very distinctive. That is not what I am discussing, and you know it.

A man wearing a hat for medical reasons is not typical, and you know that isn't what I'm referring to, either.

Since most cruisers on RCCL are American, and since I am American, I am referring to the usual and customary American good manners, and it's a common practice among Americans to consider wearing a hat at the dining table to be rude. I was in a sports bar last week having dinner, and the man at the next table was wearing a HUGE stetson hat. I told my husband that I was surprised his wife would sit with him. He looked bizarre with that giant thing on his head.

Generalizing is not stereotyping.

Packing restrictions????? Do you travel with a back pack and a carry on only?????? I can fit my suit and all the other things I need in my suitcase...... Or does the wifey take up all the room ;):D

I find packing restrictions interesting, too. My husband started wearing a tuxedo last year on our cruises after our son's wedding. He takes fewer shirts, because he only needs one with the tux. The tux actually weighs less than the jacket he used to take. He actually takes up less weight now, because he only needs one pair of dockers for the rest of the 5 nights on a 7 night cruise.

He says the tux is far more comfortable than his jacket, shirt, slacks and tie. The shirt, especially, is more comfortable. Also, he's wonderful to look at in the tux, too! :D

But, we really aren't discussing formal night, anyway. Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the packing weight thing.

Personally, I think as long as people are using common sense, whatever they wear is fine. I dislike seeing hats at the dinner table, and men in flipflops (hairy toes put me off my feed), and I think shorts look out of place in a dining room with nice cutlery, dishes, linen table cloths, etc.

My hubby puts it well: "if the staff are dressing nicely, so should I."

Depends on time of year, sometimes length of cruise and sometimes departure port.

Summer and warm weather port cruises bring out more casual dress, and capri's are popular.

Men are in khakis and a polo shirt, and a fair number wear jeans and a polo. I'm in that group.

Formal nights a dark suit and tie work great for the first night, and I often skip the tie for the second formal night.

JMHO, but we see it on most every cruise.

I'm in the same group as you and have never felt out of place. I skip the tie on both formal nights.

I just can't believe that people are STILL argueing over this! Move on people!

A discussion with different points of view is just that: a discussion, not an argument. Don't read if it bothers you in any way..........lots of threads available! :D

and men in flipflops (hairy toes put me off my feed),

I wear flipflops year round but not in the MDR

Ive seen some women wear some flip flops in the MDR on formal night that as my GF says they havnt seen a pedicure in years:eek:

I wear flipflops year round but not in the MDR

Ive seen some women wear some flip flops in the MDR on formal night that as my GF says they havnt seen a pedicure in years:eek:

Yeah, I forgot the non-pedicured feet. I was shopping in a local drugstore last summer and walked by the Dr. Scholl's kiosk: the one that you step on and it tells you what's wrong with your fee so you'll buy their products. This woman had UNBELIEVABLY dirty feet, and her sandals next to her looked as bad. I cringed at the thought of the next person standing barefoot on that thing, and said "self: don't go there". :D

Yeah, I forgot the non-pedicured feet. I was shopping in a local drugstore last summer and walked by the Dr. Scholl's kiosk: the one that you step on and it tells you what's wrong with your fee so you'll buy their products. This woman had UNBELIEVABLY dirty feet, and her sandals next to her looked as bad. I cringed at the thought of the next person standing barefoot on that thing, and said "self: don't go there". :D

So hair on the toes is gross to you? So do you shave your head? Head hair falls into the food whereas toe hair is under the table not noticed. I always laugh at people who shave hair then leave this big ugly hair on their head as I watch it fall into their food. Hair is hair.;)

A man wearing a hat for religious purposes is obviously doing that because the hat is specific to his religion. The hats are very distinctive. That is not what I am discussing, and you know it.

A man wearing a hat for medical reasons is not typical, and you know that isn't what I'm referring to, either.

Since most cruisers on RCCL are American, and since I am American, I am referring to the usual and customary American good manners, and it's a common practice among Americans to consider wearing a hat at the dining table to be rude. I was in a sports bar last week having dinner, and the man at the next table was wearing a HUGE stetson hat. I told my husband that I was surprised his wife would sit with him. He looked bizarre with that giant thing on his head.

Generalizing is not stereotyping.

Since we are generalizing men in Stetsons look great. Most western cultures in America follow that rule. Most women also don't show legs, wear bras, and have a clue. :)

Yes..hairy toes/feet are disgusting...so is armpit hair....a few years ago we sat at a table with a man who loved his sleeveless shirts...he also loved his long, greasy hair and everytime he would raise his arms to smooth it down, everyone at the table got a good look at and whiff of his underarm hair.:eek:

Evidently he wasn't very fond of soap..water... shampoo....or deoderant.:cool:

I agree the personal grooming habits of some people are non-existent. Pedicure? Some people need to see a Farrier.

Yes..hairy toes/feet are disgusting...so is armpit hair....a few years ago we sat at a table with a man who loved his sleeveless shirts...he also loved his long, greasy hair and everytime he would raise his arms to smooth it down, everyone at the table got a good look at and whiff of his underarm hair.:eek:

Evidently he wasn't very fond of soap..water... shampoo....or deoderant.:cool:

I agree the personal grooming habits of some people are non-existent. Pedicure? Some people need to see a Farrier.

Funny!! :D

Did you try to change tables? He was doing that on purpose, right? He knew the effect he was having on people.

Archived