US Tourist Dies During Snorkeling Trip in Belize

azkcruizers

"Chopped by a boat propeller"? Every snorkeling trip I've been on, the captain cuts the motor before letting people into the water. How does one get "chopped by a boat motor" while snorkeling, exactly? Very odd.

It does not say that the prop was on the snorkel boat that she was on. Sounds like, without knowing more, that some other boater went too close to the snorkelers or she got off alone. The truth of the matter is if you snorkel where they tell you at Goeff's Cay it is too shallow, and protected by too much of a reef, for a boat to get in there.

It does not say that the prop was on the snorkel boat that she was on. Sounds like, without knowing more, that some other boater went too close to the snorkelers or she got off alone. The truth of the matter is if you snorkel where they tell you at Goeff's Cay it is too shallow, and protected by too much of a reef, for a boat to get in there.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen snorkelers get off track....or go places they are not suppose to go.

We were on Stingraysailings and after we swam with the stingrays Chip took us out to a reef and let everyone snorkel.....giving specific instructions of where not to go.......sure enough there they go.....straight to where they shouldn't be.....he says it happens every sailing:rolleyes:

It is very sad, 100% preventable and likely going to bankrupt the idiot who didn't turn off his/her boat motor with a bunch of snorkelers around.

It happened in a foreign country. Likely they'll blame the snorkeler for not looking where she was going instead of the boat she swam into.

Our prayers goes out to the family it is tragic and may have been avoidable.

This is one of the reasons why I avoid doing any tours with large crowds, I just can't understand why allow such large vessels with too many people operate such high risk activities, I can see how safety can be undermined.

Belize doesn't need another "black eye" right now. Their local vendors are already suffering from the tender problems- to lose more tourism on top of that would really hurt the local economy....

I think the safety of tourists should be the focus rather than the economy of Belize.

If Belize wants to maintain their economy, insist on higher safety standards in all excursions. On our last trip there, we used a very well known private tour company. The boat engine cut out 3 times on the way to Caye Caulker. When you looked at the life preservers, they were stiff from age.

The cruise companies also have a responsibility for ensuring high safety standards when they put their passengers our on excursions.

Yes, accidents happen but as a general rule, safety standards are no where near what they are in the US.

I am so sorry for this woman, her husband and family.

How tragic for the family. My heart aches for them.

Last year we went on a snorkelling excursion in Belize, arranged privately and the operators of the boat were drinking rum straight from a large bottle being passed around the boat. I said something to the people sharing their alcohol about my disapproval. I thought I was going to get thrown into the ocean. Talk about an uncomfortable situation. I complained to the company afterwards and got a full refund. Money was not the issue though. I was concerned for the safety of my family and the other more responsible individuals on the tour.

I am much more selective and do a lot more research when bookin excursions now.

K

How tragic for the family. My heart aches for them.

Last year we went on a snorkelling excursion in Belize, arranged privately and the operators of the boat were drinking rum straight from a large bottle being passed around the boat. I said something to the people sharing their alcohol about my disapproval. I thought I was going to get thrown into the ocean. Talk about an uncomfortable situation. I complained to the company afterwards and got a full refund. Money was not the issue though. I was concerned for the safety of my family and the other more responsible individuals on the tour.

I am much more selective and do a lot more research when bookin excursions now.

K

You know, we do the same. We try to read many CC posts on the experiences others have had with tour agents. My worst experiences with excursions have always involved boating. They just do not have high safety standards and pack as many in the vessel as will fit. I am horrified to read the crew were drinking rum while driving your boat:eek:

It would be very interesting to know who the tour company was in this devastating incident, especially after my misserable experience last March.

I hope alcohol was not involved.

Unfortunately once you are out in the middle of the ocean with less than stellar crew, with often less than desirable over crowded boats,it is impossible to demand to be returned to shore. But it is something I wanted to do on our last tour to Bannister Island with Coral Breeze, who I believe sub contracted Eco Tours.

I have been on dozen of shore excursions in the past, and often booked privately. After this experience, I am very timid about booking privately.

K

Ouch, this whole scenario is just horrible. Prayers to the family on this one.

Hopefully, there will be some change to improve how this is done. I rather like Belize myself, even though it has its rough spots (doesn't everywhere?) so let's hope the right things happen for everyone's sake.

• 1 month later...
Sounds like it hasn't been done safely a few times.... time to GTFO of Belize and get a new port. I know everyone speaks of how wonderful the diving and snorkeling but I wouldn't wanna risk my life on it.

Doesnt really have anything to do with being in Belize.......do you know how many boat propeller accidents there are a year worldwide ??? Tons of them. Sad - but true.

Boat + inexperienced people + sometimes alcohol + boat propeller = accidents.

It can happen anywhere. Ultimately it is up to you to decide what is a safe situation and what is not. I feel sorry for the family tho.

Archived