Baby food use

Katiebug430

DD will be 10 months old when we cruise in June, so she will have progressed to finger foods and we can mash certain foods for her on the boat (we have a baby food masher/bowl), but will still need to bring some baby food along. We will be on Carnival Glory, which has a mini "fridge" in each cabin. However the coldness factor of said mini fridge is in question. ;)

We are just starting solids this weekend, and while we will be making most of her food at home we are doing baby food in pouches for when we're out and about and when on vacation. The pouch allows you to squeeze enough for the meal either into a bowl or directly onto a spoon, and there's no heavy glass jar that could break. The pouches are fairly large and like opened jarred baby food, they need to be kept refrigerated between meals. I'm debating if we should plan to keep partially-used pouches on ice or if the mini fridge will keep it cool enough.

How have other parents managed keeping baby food cold between meals?

Most of the fridges are in a cabinet...if you can keep the cabinet door open, it will increase airflow and aid in a cooler fridge! And, they have coldness settings...make sure it's turned up! (or colder..whatever!!)

They are "dorm-style" fridges...they should keep things cool enough for a day or so!

Wow, the pouches sound really neat. They didn't have those back in the dark ages when I had children. (We didn't have plastics so much.) (And I guess I still have children to this day.. they are just adults.)

Yes, the fridges can be cold enough. Just have your steward remove the things that you do not want. They will show back up the last night and all will be locked away.

Nancy

I would think on ice or in the fridge for 24 hours would be ok even if the temperature is 'borderline'. At least with the pouches you are squeezing some out and not sticking a spoon in the jar. I know you would use a clean spoon and decant it into another bowl but the spoon has been handled and isn't going to be sterile.

Also, as a sidenote, my son is almost 10 months old now and he is 'too cool' to be fed from a spoon at the moment, unless its his favorite yogurt. He gets ticked off if he can't feed himself. Your child may have more social graces than mine though, lol. He is a voracious eater and acts like he doesn't know where his next meal is coming from.

Archived