Shuttle from port to town?

m4rcla

Hi,

I have been reading some of the port reviews and some reviewers mentioned that there's a shuttle bus from the cruise port into town (for around $5-$10) one way.

I'm confused as to whether this is the "transfer only" shore excursions (which, for example for Rome is around $99), or is this something else?

From NCL's website, I do not see an option for a shuttle to town for that cheap.

Thanks!

Ports are often big industrial areas. The $5-10 shuttle busses take you from your ship to the edge of the port, or possibly to the center of the town the port is in. You get dumped off there, and have to get into the tourist town you wish to visit on your own.

The $99 "on your own" option are busses that pick you up at your ship and take you all the way to the city you want to visit. This is often an hour plus trip, probably with some sort of narritated your along the way. You then get picked up and taken back to the ship.

In many ports, you aren't allowed to just walk off the ship. You either have to have a prearranged tour picking you up, or take the shuttle out of the port.

If you Google the Crusing? Come to Rome for the Day! page, you'll get a good description of how getting to get to Rome on your own works, including the shuttle bus out of the port.

Good questions and a worry for those who have not been to the Med. The answer lies in a bit of a geography lesson. Many European ports are located a very long distance from the major cities usually visited by cruise passengers. You specificaly mentioned Rome for which the port city is Civitavecchia. The port is about a 1:15 min drive or train ride from the port (its similar getting from the port of Livorno to Florence). The cruise lines all offer various excursions including an "on your own" bus which simply drives you to the major city where you are then on your own. Those buses generally cost about $70 -$90 per person (depending on the cruise line and city). There are almost always much less expensive ways to get between ports and cities via public transit, but you have to be a little adventurous and do your homework. For example, you can take the train between Civitavecchia and Rome for about 9.5 Euros per person which also includes all days use of Rome's metro and buses (this is called a BIRG ticket). There are other European ports that are much closer to town (such as in Barcelona and Marseille) where shuttles are low cost (or even free on a few cruise lines).

Hank

Do any of you know if it's feasible to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome with luggage?

Sure, lots of people do it. Keep in mind, however, that you may need to climb stairs with your luggage, and that you'll need to get yourself and your stuff on and off the train without help. If you travel relatively light, it shouldn't be an issue.

Sure, lots of people do it. Keep in mind, however, that you may need to climb stairs with your luggage, and that you'll need to get yourself and your stuff on and off the train without help. If you travel relatively light, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. We travel pretty lightly. I figured if our luggage is never a problem in airports, it should be okay in a train. Wasn't sure about the amount of space on the train.

AZ4me,

Hi. March 2010 we left the PRINSENDAM cruiseship in Civitichecia and took the train to the Central Termini train station in downtown Rome mid-week, 10am with 5 large pieces of luggage..2 adults. We're retired, but physically fit. $$Cost was not much..less than $10/pp. Taxi would have been nearly $90/US. We walked about 900 feet from ship to train station platform...yes,some steps. Overhead racks held our luggage w/ totes on our lap. Several ship employees in same carriage.Taxi took us to our Hotel ABERDEEN from Termini Sta. 8blocks. Do NOT try lugging suitcases on Rome sidewalks or Subway!! Hope this helped. Locomotiveman

AZ4me,

Hi. March 2010 we left the PRINSENDAM cruiseship in Civitichecia and took the train to the Central Termini train station in downtown Rome mid-week, 10am with 5 large pieces of luggage..2 adults. We're retired, but physically fit. $$Cost was not much..less than $10/pp. Taxi would have been nearly $90/US. We walked about 900 feet from ship to train station platform...yes,some steps. Overhead racks held our luggage w/ totes on our lap. Several ship employees in same carriage.Taxi took us to our Hotel ABERDEEN from Termini Sta. 8blocks. Do NOT try lugging suitcases on Rome sidewalks or Subway!! Hope this helped. Locomotiveman

Thank you so much for the quick reply. This is how I want to get to Rome, and hearing your experience just solidifies our plans to take the train. I just wasn't sure if there would be space on the train for our bags. We'll have fewer bags, so it will work out well.

Thank you again! :)

Suzan

AZ4me,

Have fun.. READ the earlier posts re: 8:51 to Rome etc. Knowing WHERE to buy your ticket is half the battle. We NEEDED to go to Termini Sta. as that was near our hotel. It's huge. Get a good map of Rome with Train/Subway routes to understand people's concerns about Termini Sta. location etc. Is Rome's subway crowded? Yes. No place for luggage. Think NewYork's or London's. Off to Tahiti next month. Locomotiveman

AZ4me,

Have fun.. READ the earlier posts re: 8:51 to Rome etc. Knowing WHERE to buy your ticket is half the battle. We NEEDED to go to Termini Sta. as that was near our hotel. It's huge. Get a good map of Rome with Train/Subway routes to understand people's concerns about Termini Sta. location etc. Is Rome's subway crowded? Yes. No place for luggage. Think NewYork's or London's. Off to Tahiti next month. Locomotiveman

Oh, yes, I have already done that and have printed out all the information, so I'll have it at hand. Our hotel in Rome is just four blocks away from Termini Sta., so that is great.

Have a wonderful time in Tahiti. (That sounds fabulous!) We are looking forward to our cruise so much; it will be our first and we'll be celebrating our 40th. Lots to be grateful for.

Thank you again!

Suzan

The train is definitely worth it. All the locals take the train into Rome and suitcases fit just perfectly on the train. Once you get to Rome Termini train staion (or other station in Rome), just remember that the taxi fare should not be more than 15 euro to get to your hotel (as long as you're staying in the center). Make sure your driver turns on the meter.

Here are directions on how to get to the Civitavecchia train station from the port:

We have taken the train to Rome several times with luggage. Don't get off the boat too early or you will hit the commuters and the train will be very crowded. Try to pick a train that starts in Civi so you will have plenty of time to get on and find a place for your luggage. Always keep an eye on your luggage and you can also bring a cable lock to lock your bags together. Since you get off at Termini you will have plenty of time to unlock them. Our luggage has never been able to fit overhead. As long as no one is standing you can use a seat. We like to get facing seats and use the seat oppisite us.

The train is definitely worth it. All the locals take the train into Rome and suitcases fit just perfectly on the train. Once you get to Rome Termini train staion (or other station in Rome), just remember that the taxi fare should not be more than 15 euro to get to your hotel (as long as you're staying in the center). Make sure your driver turns on the meter.

Here are directions on how to get to the Civitavecchia train station from the port:

Thank you for the video link....perfect explanation. I appreciate it. :)

We have taken the train to Rome several times with luggage. Don't get off the boat too early or you will hit the commuters and the train will be very crowded. Try to pick a train that starts in Civi so you will have plenty of time to get on and find a place for your luggage. Always keep an eye on your luggage and you can also bring a cable lock to lock your bags together. Since you get off at Termini you will have plenty of time to unlock them. Our luggage has never been able to fit overhead. As long as no one is standing you can use a seat. We like to get facing seats and use the seat oppisite us.
Thank you for the good advice. We're definitely going to take the train now that we know it's easy to do. The cable lock is a good suggestion; thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived