Celebrity Solstice

Maz_1

Hi fellow cruisers

I am new to the site, so not sure if I am doing it right :) We are going on the Solstice on the 19th June. We are taking my 81 year old Father-in-Law. He has not been on a large ship before. Do you think he will like it. It will be his 4th cruise.

Welcome.

Your Father in Law will love the ship. He will like it simply because it is a beautiful vessel. You can go on the Celebrity site and show him photos of the ship.You can go on youtube.com and search out Celebrity Solstice and there will be tons of videos you can show him too.

I took my Mom on the Solstice last April and she loved it. Since she had a slight stroke which bothered her balance, and the ship is big, the ship loaned us a wheelchair for her. She was the center of attention every where we took her. The Solstice staff were extremely kind to her. Our assistant waiter met her at the door every night, and took her to the table. Because she eats only very plain food, they offered to show her the next night's menu so she could order food made to order for her for the next evening!

When we went to the Senior Officers Party, one of them told a staff member to take her to the dinning room (at the opposite end of the ship) at the end of the party. We were offered help every where we went. They were extremely gentle getting her on and off the ship in the wheelchair. We were allowed to take her on the islands in the wheelchair.

The ship has lovely sitting areas in the shade all around the pool. Additionally, the solarium - a glass-covered pool with great furniture, was perfect for Mom.

The glass-blowers are fascinating to watch, my Mom enjoyed being outside and able to watch them.

Of 28 cruises, the Solstice is my favorite - I've been twice this year!

Not knowing your father-in-law, it's difficult to say definitively whether he will like it. He probably will, as most who sail her do.

Were it my parents (similar age), I think they would like it, and I could make a fairly convincing sales pitch to them (although the biggest ships they've been on were half the size of Solstice). Once we had it booked and they were in, however, I would be careful not to "over-close"... best not to build up too much hype and create the chance for disappointment. But that's a fairly subjective, individual case of "managing expectations", and you know best how to handle your FIL.

Enjoy! :)

I am going on the Solstice on May 14-26 ..from Barcelona ,,,does anyone know how I can get with a few couples to tour in our own van,rather than the buses? I am travelling with my husband.I'd appreciate any advice or if you are going on this trip,maybe you'd be interested in forming a group...

We have traveled numerous times on X with our elderly relatives (80 years+). Their only issue with S class is that it is a large ship and the distance from the dining room at the back to the front of the ship to see the shows took its toll on them. All in all they still loved their cruises, but if they had their choice they would pick M class for that reason. Other than that, no problems at all and there were always plenty of folks in that age category or similar to bond with if he has that inclination, particularly on the longer cruises. (not to say everyone is a senior - just that they are well represented)

Archived