train from cherbourg to Bayeux??

rivendell

How does one get to the train station from the port area. Does anyone know the schedule. How long is the trip. Can you walk from the train station in Bayeux to the cathedral?

In checking the map from Google.com, the rail station in Bayeux is in the south part of this town. It is about 3000 feet in distance from that train station to the Cathedral. This town is very nice and interesting. Here are my notes on this town:

BAYEUX: This charming town is built around the magnificent Cathedral of Notre-Dame and is home to the 200-foot long Bayeux Tapestry. This is a world famous masterpiece whose cartoon-like scenes depict the epic tale of William the Conqueror's expedition conquering England in 1066 AD. We had a wonderful lunch at the Lion d’Or, a former coaching inn dating back to 1770. The town/area tourism website is: http://www.bessin-normandie.fr

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

To add to Terry's answer, it takes about 55 minutes by train from Cherbourg to Bayeux. There are severals trains every day, you can check the schedule on the SNCF website (SNCF is the national French railway company). Hopefully the link works (the website is not the best there is...).

In Cherbourg, you can walk to the train station, but it is a bit far from the port (about 1.5 to 2 km), other option is to take a taxi.

Thanks for your help. I did get on the French railroad site and it did work. But I think I will have to come up with another plan. The ship docks at 8, so the earliest train we could catch is 9:46. The ship leaves at 5, so the latest train we could catch would be 2:15. That only leaves 3 hours in Bayeux. So I think I better see if anyone would like to share a taxi.

Mary

Archived