St. Tropez or Sanaray Sur Mer to Cannes

potomacgator

We would like to spend some time in Cannes during the Film Festival while cruising on the Riviera in May on Azmara Journey. However, the closest we come to Cannes during the Festival is when we stop one day in Sanaray Sur Mer on May 21 and the next day in St. Tropez, the last day of the Festival. Would it be practical to travel to Cannes on a day trip from either of these ports? If so, how would we do it?

Here is the reply I received on the Nicr forum with respect to Sanaray to Cannes:

either bus 8805 to toulon then train [hour and 20 mins]

winter timetable 8805

http://www.varlib.fr/index.php/cg83/content/download/1477/6345/version/12/file/CG83-L8805-LIGNES+DU+VAR-SCAC+KEOLIS.pdf

or taxi to or bus 8807 to

Gare SNCF Ollioules-Sanary-sur-Mer to catch train [ station is 5 km from sanary sur mer] - not many buses and change trains in toulon - takes about an hour and a half on train including connection.

bus 8807 winter timetable

http://www.varlib.fr/index.php/cg83/content/download/1697/7094/version/9/file/CG83-L8807-LIGNES+DU+VAR-SCAC+KEOLIS.pdf

if you know which trains you want to take you can get good deals by booking ahead of time

And here is the response to the questions whether it would be better to go to Cannes for the Festival on the last day from St. Tropez and whether it was worth it to go through the extra effort to be in Cannes during the Festival or should I wait to visit Cannes when I landed in Nice after the Festival:

It's quicker, but still not easy to get from St Tropez to Cannes in May. You would need to take a bus or a ferry to St Raphael, then a train to Cannes.

The Film Festival is really aimed at film industry professionals, especially the last few days of the Film Festival which are the quietest and everyone you've heard of will have already left. Think you would be disappointed especially after so much effort

If I were you I'd wait to see Cannes until after you have landed in Nice and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Does anybody have a comment on that advice?

We view the Film Festival as simply a minor pain if we are staying in Cannes, but of little consequence if on a cruise. The main problem with the film festival is that it fills up many of the hotels and good restaurants...neither of which is normally an issue for cruise passengers. There are some folks who like to walk around Cannes and try to spot celebrities, but that is not our "thing" and most folks will end up disappointed that they do not spot anyone recognizable.

Hank

Here is the reply I received on the Nicr forum with respect to Sanaray to Cannes:

either bus 8805 to toulon then train [hour and 20 mins]

winter timetable 8805

http://www.varlib.fr/index.php/cg83/content/download/1477/6345/version/12/file/CG83-L8805-LIGNES+DU+VAR-SCAC+KEOLIS.pdf

or taxi to or bus 8807 to

Gare SNCF Ollioules-Sanary-sur-Mer to catch train [ station is 5 km from sanary sur mer] - not many buses and change trains in toulon - takes about an hour and a half on train including connection.

bus 8807 winter timetable

http://www.varlib.fr/index.php/cg83/content/download/1697/7094/version/9/file/CG83-L8807-LIGNES+DU+VAR-SCAC+KEOLIS.pdf

if you know which trains you want to take you can get good deals by booking ahead of time

And here is the response to the questions whether it would be better to go to Cannes for the Festival on the last day from St. Tropez and whether it was worth it to go through the extra effort to be in Cannes during the Festival or should I wait to visit Cannes when I landed in Nice after the Festival:

It's quicker, but still not easy to get from St Tropez to Cannes in May. You would need to take a bus or a ferry to St Raphael, then a train to Cannes.

The Film Festival is really aimed at film industry professionals, especially the last few days of the Film Festival which are the quietest and everyone you've heard of will have already left. Think you would be disappointed especially after so much effort

If I were you I'd wait to see Cannes until after you have landed in Nice and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Does anybody have a comment on that advice?

I agree. You can't get in to see any of the films as the locals have a monopoly on that, and the Croisette is roped off so you can't get access to the areas you would like to. Avoid Cannes like the plague during Festival !

Archived