Dave's Live from Ryndam, Feb. 6-20, 2011

RetiredMustang

We are so thoroughly enjoying your reports, thank you so much for taking the time to post your findings, sure considering going there one day. You are simply amazing and so kind hearted to take time from your vacation and do this for us. Hugs my friend.

A few replies:

For those joining the next cruise -- I will be aboard all next week , and can usually be found in the Ocean Bar around 4:30 p.m. or so, prior to early fixed dining. I'm six feet tall and I really do look like my avatar, so if you see me and want to do so, please stop and say hi.

About Helll -- Sorry for confusing you there, but what I was talking about was indeed the spot that jtl513 posted about (thanks, John); there is a small rugged formation at the north end of Grand Cayman that we visited on the tour. There is (what a surpise!) a small gift shop where we bought postcartds and a small post office where we mailed them to our sons -- "greetings from Hell, wish you were here."

I've been saving the daily programs, thinking maybe to scan them when we get home. I would think that it would take a separate high-res photo per page to get readable photos of them, but maybe I'll play around with them next cruise and see what I come up with.

Friday, February 11, Cozumel

We had visited Tulum on our first visit to Cozumel in the 1990s, and while it was a great experience, it was a tiring all-day excursion. Other times we just snorkeled from a beach. We considered just taking a taxi to a beach to snorkel this time as well, but it was overcast as we approached, and rained as we were tying up, so we said to ourselves that we would just walk ashore and wander and see what there was.

The ship pulled in at about 11 a.m. The port info sheet was not too clear where we were going to berth, as it showed the downtown area and old cruise pier, and a newer area called Puerta Maya, but no indication where it was in relation to downtown.

As we approached, it became clear that Cozumel has built a newer cruise port a few miles south of town; in fact, it looked like two cruise port areas with separate piers. At one of the piers were Freedom of the Seas and another RCL ship of the same class (never did see her name). At the southern of the two piers was Carnival Conquest, and it soon became apparent that we would berth across the pier from her.

At the end of our pier was a large developed area that looked interesting: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Cozumel_Puerta_Maya_from_pier.JPG

There was a smaller but similar area at the end of the pier where the RCL ships were berthed, but the two areas did not seem to be linked. Perhaps the long-term plan is to do so. The area where we berthed was indeed called Puerta Maya, but I don't know if the other one had a different name or not.

What we found when we got there was a large area, similar in concept to other new ports like Grand Turk or Sint Maarten, with shops and restaurants, tour excursion marshalling area, taxi stand, etc. This one was pretty extensive, with several blocks of buildings. http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Cozumel_Puerta_Maya.JPG

There was also a beach: http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Cozumel_Puerta_Maya_beach.JPG

But, there did not appear to be any way to get to the water. There was a smaller pier just out from the beach that was used for shore excursion boats, so probably they did not want swimmers just there. The water all around us was clear, and we could see schools of fish swimming by the pier. Also, south of the Puerta Maya we could see a reef with lots of boats around it. Between there and our ship was a rough rocky coast, but what looked like a decent swimming and snorkeling area. Perhaps they will develop a beach there for the port some day, but for now it looks like you needed to catch a cab or take an excursion to get to a swimming beach.

The sun came out and it got muggy as we wandered around the shops. There were the usual suspects like Diamonds International, Del Sole and Pirana Joe's. But there were also lots of non-chain local stores selling a wide variety of goods. We went into most of them, and found large quantities of ticky and equal amounts of tacky. Apparently, Cozumel is famous for its vanilla, because most places had it for sale, in jars randing from about a cup to a liter. That was selling pretty briskly. I saw one woman with about a dozen of the smaller jars; perhaps she was buying gifts for others.

We finally came back aboard and cooled off and lounged around for the rest of the afternoon before hitting happy hour en route to dinner. For dinner, I had braised beef ribs, while DW had a cheese and spinach lasagna. Both were excellent.

More later,

Dave

Thanks again for posts and pics. Cozumel is a port I would like to revisit, because of the amazing snorkeling. We were able to overnight there due to another port was canceled. The first day we snorkeled and the next day we took the Tulum tour which was a Very Hot, tiring day, but extremely interesting.

Are the prices at the new villages similar to those downtown? In St. Thomas, I thought there were better bargains downtown then at Havensight and Crown Point shops.

Thanks for the photos and updates. What a nice thing for you to do! I will be joining you all tomorrow and look forward to meeting everyone. I'm easy to spot- I use a turquoise walker (some of the time) and I'll be with 2 friends- a red head and a white head ( I'm kind of iron gray though I still think I have dark brown hair). We're 2 women in our 60's and one in her 80's.

Barbara (and Sharon and Edna)

Dave

Many many thanks for your excellent updates, it must be so time consuming when you could be relaxing with a drink ;).

I will be on the Ryndam at the end of July going to Scandinavia, 1st time with HAL and 1st time in a suite (S004), can't wait especially after seeing your photos of S023.

I've read on several threads that the Ryndam is starting to look a bit 'tired'. What is your opinion?

Regards,

Carole

Saturday, Feb. 12, at sea

When I got up and went to the Lido to get a cup of coffee, I passed the doors to the aft pool, which were open as usual, and noticed that the temperature had already dropped. We were already doing some rocking, so I guessed we had passed a front overnight en route back to Tampa. The day got cooler as it went on, although the sun did come out eventually and the seas calmed a bit.

It was another relaxing day at sea, filled with a lot of activities for those who wanted them. We went to a morning presentation in the culinary arts center of a different receipe -- something called zuurkool, which was billed as a Dutch sauerkraut casserole. The ship's environmental, ssafety and health officer apparently enjoys cooking at home, and shared with us this recipe that he adapted from one he had as a child.

It itnvoled layers of sauerkraut, a ground beef mixture that had been browned with onions, garlic and spices, then the layer that made us pay attention -- slices of fresh banana. He topped that with a layer of diced fresh tomatoes, and then a thick layer of mashed potatoes, like a she[herd's pie. He scored the top and spread bread crumbs and paremsan cheese over the top. He then put it in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or so. As I hoped, he had one he had prepared and we got a taste. It was actually quite good, with the bananas mellowing out the kraut a bit. Interesting dish.

I attended a towel folding demonstration, and we both tried out luck at the slots. Before dinner, we attended a reception and brief for Collector's Cruise passengers. The CD said there were 220 of us taking the next cruise, and he went over the basic procedures for tunaround day. He said the procedures had changed over the last year. I will describe the process after we've been through it, but the CD pointed out that everyone now had to go ashore and be cleared by customs and immigration, which sounds like the procedure at Ft. Lauderdale. He also said that the U.S. Coast Guard had changed their standards, and we all would have to do the boat drill again this next cruise.

After the briefing, we went to Canaletto for dinner. The dinner in the main dining room was the Master Chef's Dinner, an d we had made Canaletto reservations early in the cruise for that night instead. The MCD has been discussed at length here on the HAL boards, and there are those who enjoy it and those, like us, who don't much care for it. So, we enjoyed a nice dinner at Canaletto instead.

It started with the authentic antipasti, this time with caponata instead of the non-authentic pesto sauce they offered us last year on Noordam. I followed with a zuppa di pesce (fish soup) which was quite good, with a tomato-y base with pieces of firm white fish, lots of leeks, and spices and herbs, including I think a dash of saffron. There is no right or wrong way to make fish soup, but this version would be more typical of the Ligurian coast of Italy (Genoa) rather than southern Italy. Quite good!

I then had as a main dish the linguini ai frutti di mare (with shellfish). The sauce was more of a traditional tomato sauce instead of the creamy one I had had previously, and it again was excellent, with lots of shrimp, and several mussels and clams. It did not have any squid, but had some of the white fish.

For dessert, I had something that had been added to the menu since last time -- it was called a lemon creme with limoncello over it. When it came, I realized that it was a dish called panna cotta (literally, cooked cream) in Italy, and it was verrry nice -- smooth, lightly sweet and lemony, and the leimoncello (lemon liquer) gave it sweet and tart notes.

DW had the salad, which was lighter and again more Italian than before, the penne alla vodka and the Napolean. The menu still lists it in French (Mille Feuille, "thousand leaves") instead of in Italian (Mille Foglie), which always strikes me as a bit odd and amusing. The waiters are still doing their schtick of wearing gondolier shirts and funny names -- we were served by Zucchero, which is the Italian word for sugar. But, they didn't have to dance or sing, or fling vegetables about like at the MCD.

More later,

Dave

All,

I noticed that one of the attachements that can be added on CC is a .txt file. So, if I did this right, attached is a file that shows the menu of the MIX, which is a bit different from the regular bar menu.

Dave

It worked just fine Dave - thanks for sharing. It is different :)

That came out great, Dave! Have really enjoyed your posts. Did you use OCR software to create that? If so, which one?

Well, actually I use the "borrow" a copy of the menu from the MIX and do a real fast re-type method. Luckily, I can type quickly and reasonably accurately from reading a page. (And, yes, I did take the menu back to the MIX).

Dave

Saturday, Feb. 12, at sea

When I got up and went to the Lido to get a cup of coffee, I passed the doors to the aft pool, which were open as usual, and noticed that the temperature had already dropped. We were already doing some rocking, so I guessed we had passed a front overnight en route back to Tampa. The day got cooler as it went on, although the sun did come out eventually and the seas calmed a bit.

It was another relaxing day at sea, filled with a lot of activities for those who wanted them. We went to a morning presentation in the culinary arts center of a different receipe -- something called zuurkool, which was billed as a Dutch sauerkraut casserole. The ship's environmental, ssafety and health officer apparently enjoys cooking at home, and shared with us this recipe that he adapted from one he had as a child.

It itnvoled layers of sauerkraut, a ground beef mixture that had been browned with onions, garlic and spices, then the layer that made us pay attention -- slices of fresh banana. He topped that with a layer of diced fresh tomatoes, and then a thick layer of mashed potatoes, like a she[herd's pie. He scored the top and spread bread crumbs and paremsan cheese over the top. He then put it in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or so. As I hoped, he had one he had prepared and we got a taste. It was actually quite good, with the bananas mellowing out the kraut a bit. Interesting dish.

I attended a towel folding demonstration, and we both tried out luck at the slots. Before dinner, we attended a reception and brief for Collector's Cruise passengers. The CD said there were 220 of us taking the next cruise, and he went over the basic procedures for tunaround day. He said the procedures had changed over the last year. I will describe the process after we've been through it, but the CD pointed out that everyone now had to go ashore and be cleared by customs and immigration, which sounds like the procedure at Ft. Lauderdale. He also said that the U.S. Coast Guard had changed their standards, and we all would have to do the boat drill again this next cruise.

After the briefing, we went to Canaletto for dinner. The dinner in the main dining room was the Master Chef's Dinner, an d we had made Canaletto reservations early in the cruise for that night instead. The MCD has been discussed at length here on the HAL boards, and there are those who enjoy it and those, like us, who don't much care for it. So, we enjoyed a nice dinner at Canaletto instead.

It started with the authentic antipasti, this time with caponata instead of the non-authentic pesto sauce they offered us last year on Noordam. I followed with a zuppa di pesce (fish soup) which was quite good, with a tomato-y base with pieces of firm white fish, lots of leeks, and spices and herbs, including I think a dash of saffron. There is no right or wrong way to make fish soup, but this version would be more typical of the Ligurian coast of Italy (Genoa) rather than southern Italy. Quite good!

I then had as a main dish the linguini ai frutti di mare (with shellfish). The sauce was more of a traditional tomato sauce instead of the creamy one I had had previously, and it again was excellent, with lots of shrimp, and several mussels and clams. It did not have any squid, but had some of the white fish.

For dessert, I had something that had been added to the menu since last time -- it was called a lemon creme with limoncello over it. When it came, I realized that it was a dish called panna cotta (literally, cooked cream) in Italy, and it was verrry nice -- smooth, lightly sweet and lemony, and the leimoncello (lemon liquer) gave it sweet and tart notes.

DW had the salad, which was lighter and again more Italian than before, the penne alla vodka and the Napolean. The menu still lists it in French (Mille Feuille, "thousand leaves") instead of in Italian (Mille Foglie), which always strikes me as a bit odd and amusing. The waiters are still doing their schtick of wearing gondolier shirts and funny names -- we were served by Zucchero, which is the Italian word for sugar. But, they didn't have to dance or sing, or fling vegetables about like at the MCD.

More later,

Dave

Dave,

Enjoying your "Live from" - especially now that I have free Internet at the hotel here in Naples after disembarking the Maasdam on Friday! I, too, had the lemon dessert twice in the Canaletto...it was amazing!

I agree on the MCD...Carol & Sam made reservations at the Canaletto for that night as well...and I felt badly leaving our dining steward high and dry on the last night...so talked them into doing the MCD (we had a table for 4 in the MDR). My mistake. :eek:

I see you've booked 2/6 on the Maasdam next year - I like those dates but am wondering about St. Vincent's...any idea what that's like? I'd like to see St. Croix and St. Kitts so it sounds like a good itinerary.

I don't have your email...or I would have PM'd you! Perhaps when you get home, you could shoot me an email. Thanks, Dave!

Sunday, Feb. 13, Tampa (Turnaround day)

A week before, the weather in Tampa was cloudy, hazy and dreary. This Sunday, it dawned sunny with crystal clear air ... and cold! It was about 50 degrees when we lloked out before breakfast. It did warm up later, but the morning was quite brisk.

Those of us staying for the next cruise had been given special "in transit" cards to cary ashore with our passports, customs declarations and for those who needed them, visa information. We had three basic options:

1. If you went on a shore excursion, you went off and met up with the group, returning to the ship after the excursion was over.

2. You could walk ashore after the ship was cleared for debarking, and could come back any time after the ship opened for new passengers.

3. Or, you could walk off inn a group and wait in the terminal and be the first let back on when the authorities cleared the ship for reboarding.

We took the last option. We met in the Showcase At Sea show lounge at 9 a.m., and were led off about 9:15. We scanned off with our ship cards, went down to the luggage area, walked through that large open area and past customs and immigration, and then back up the escalator to the departue lounge, passing through security screening again. We were then able to wait until called for reboarding, which came about 10:15. Regular boarding began about 11:30. We scanned back aboard with our ship's cards, and handed over the in transit cards to the ship's security personnel. Pretty painless.

Mariner's lunch was being served in the dining room (menu attached, I hope) starting at noon, but we went as usual to the Lido to watch people arriving.

The afternoon was pretty relaxing, and we went again to the lifeboat drill. We sailed during the boat drill. We then followed with what has become pretty much our routine - drinks in the Ocean Bar, early fixed dinner in the dining room, and Explorer's Lounge to listen to the strings.

Some answers to your questions:

Cozumel prices. I haven't really checked prices in Cozumel in over 10 years, although the prices at the new Puerta Maya shops seemed a bit high, I didn't think they were all that bad. It is probably a good bet, though, that prices in a new, created-for-cruise-ships pier area are probably higher than you can find in town.

Condition of the ship. I had only noticed a stain or two in the carpet until the question was asked, but have looked a bit more closely and don't really see signs of Ryndam getting tired. She seems in good condition. There are a few stains in the carpet here and there, some wearing at the leading edges of the carpeted steps on the staircases, and an occasional small rust spot here and there on the outside, but I think Ryndam overall is in good shape.

Sheila, I will email you separately, but I can answer your question about St. Vincent -- I don't know, but am looking forward to find out. We chose the Maasdam itinerary next year because it goes to three islands we have never visited -- St. Vincent, St. Croix and St. Kitts.

More later,

Dave

Mariners lunch.txt

Dave, I've enjoyed your posts and especially the pictures. I'm anxious to see how they do the Mix on the Maasdam. If you can, I would love to see a picture of the piano bar and how it opens onto the Mix. Enjoy the second half of your cruise.

Edited by mamaofami

The turnaround process sounds like it went well for you. I have read on these boards that some people have to change cabins for the second week. When does the switch take place?

At the briefing, they told us 220 were doing the turnaround, and most were staying in the same cabin. For the few that were changing, they got help from the stewards to move, scanned off with their old cabin cards, and scanned back on with their new cabin cards which they got that morning. My understanding is that the shift happens the morning of turnaround day.

Dave