Marie Antoinette's village

LittleMissS

Hi all-

I'll be participating in a land tour, and we are spending time at Versailles, but would love to include Marie Antoinette's village as part of my day. I've seen some photos online and it looks gorgeous. The only problem is that I'm not sure the rest of my group will be as excited to stop there as I am. Is it "worth it" to make a stop there? Is the village sprawling or is it relatively compact? Can we explore the village in an hour or two, or is it more of an "all day" type of event? Right now, I think our current itinerary is to drive from Paris to Versailles, spend several hours exploring the Palace and Gardens (including a bike tour and lunch) then driving to Blois for the night. Do you think there's time to spend at the village, given this itinerary? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Little Miss S

Hi all- I'll be participating in a land tour, and we are spending time at Versailles, but would love to include Marie Antoinette's village as part of my day. I've seen some photos online and it looks gorgeous. The only problem is that I'm not sure the rest of my group will be as excited to stop there as I am. Is it "worth it" to make a stop there? Is the village sprawling or is it relatively compact? Can we explore the village in an hour or two, or is it more of an "all day" type of event? Right now, I think our current itinerary is to drive from Paris to Versailles, spend several hours exploring the Palace and Gardens (including a bike tour and lunch) then driving to Blois for the night. Do you think there's time to spend at the village, given this itinerary? Thanks in advance for any advice! Little Miss S

Versailles is a "good news/bad news" situation. There are lots and lots of great options on what to see and do there. Below are my notes and a web link to their site with lots info. You can't see it all in just one day. Much depends on your personal interests. The interiors at the sprawling Versailles are huge and super fascinating. You don't want to short-change that aspect. Then ALL of the outdoor gardens, etc. This village for Marie is not huge. Just depends on whether "walking through" there gives you enough of a sample.

VERSAILLES: By suburban subway/train (RER-C5 line, from St-Michel, every 15 minutes) or train (30 minutes) from Saint Lazare; started being built in 1660's for Sun King Louis XIV (during 1661 to 1715 period, involved 32,000 to 45,000 workers) in French classical architectural style; conceived as a world unto itself as seat of government, permanent residence of the royal family and the cream of nobility, was previously modest hunting lodge in swampy area; palace highlight is 236-foot long Hall of Mirrors where the treaty was signed ending WWI; a three-year restoration of this spectacular Hall of Mirrors was just completed in June 2007; through 2020, they are completing a $455 million project to upgrade Versailles with cleanings, new roofs, other restorations, etc.; this property has 700 rooms, 2,153 windows, 352 chimneys and 28 acres of roof; in the huge garden areas are Grand Canal, Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon and Hameau used by Marie Antoinette; town population of 100,000; possible bus tour or car drive options out to Versailles; open 9:45-5, park open sunrise to sunset; tour palace first and gardens later (closed Monday). From this website (http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks TLCOhio. I've actually already been to Versailles---the Palace and the gardens (but the rest of my group hasn't). The land tour I'm taking will be providing all of our travel arrangements. I've asked about adding some time for the village and am waiting to hear their response. I realize there's no way I can do it all in one day, but am hoping to spend an hour or two at the village. Have you visited the village? Do you have any more specifics you can give me on it? Can I tour inside the buildings or is it mainly just an outdoors?

Thanks TLCOhio. I've actually already been to Versailles---the Palace and the gardens (but the rest of my group hasn't). The land tour I'm taking will be providing all of our travel arrangements. I've asked about adding some time for the village and am waiting to hear their response. I realize there's no way I can do it all in one day, but am hoping to spend an hour or two at the village. Have you visited the village? Do you have any more specifics you can give me on it? Can I tour inside the buildings or is it mainly just an outdoors?

We didn't have the time to tour this part of Versailles during our visit. That old time challenge!!! Too much to see and do. Not enough time there. A good reason to go back, again!

You can check these websites to get added insights on this part of these spectacular grounds and buildings:

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/marie-antoinettes-estate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hameau_de_la_reine

In reading the official website, you buy a separate ticket for this part of the estate and it seem to imply that you visit some of the interiors on the different buildings on this Queen's "estate". It is billed as a ticket for the Trianon Palaces and Marie-Antoinette's Estate. They bill it as "the delicate, bucolic world of Marie-Antoinette, the grand Trianon of Louis XIV." That ticket features Grand Trianon and gardens of the Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon, Queen's hamlet, French and Anglo-Chinese gardens, French pavilion, temple of Love, Belvedere and Grand Trianon.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I spent several days at Verseilles a couple of years back, staying at the Trianon Palace. Whilst we took a relatively relaxed pace, we didn't have time to see everything.

We saw the main house, the gardens, the Trianon and the Petit Trianon. We spent more than one session in the gardens.

On a day visit, you will be lucky to do the house and the basic parts of the gardens - and you will benefit from research before you go.

It is, however, a fabulous place.

WD

Archived