Just returned from queen victoria 17 day voyage

deck chair

Hello All:

For background, I have sailed many times on QE2 and Queen MAry 2 and have posted many of my impressions most of them very positive. I thought it would be nice to try the Queen Victoria on a 17 day Panama Canal sailing although I was very tempted to book the longer first leg of the Queen Mary's world cruise from NY to Cape Town. I LOVE BEING ON THE QUEEN MARY but in this case the Queen Victoria won out because I wanted to try another Cunard Line ship to escape the cold.

As any wise traveler does, I arrived in NY two days prior to the sailing in case bad weather interfered with train arrangements. Who wants to miss the ship? For anyone interested in NY hotels, I elected to stay close to the westside piers at the SKYLINE HOTEL, a rather ordinary hotel with a friendly/helpful staff. IT WAS EXTREMELY BOOKED UP due to the bad weather sweeping the region which strained airports etc. Unfortunately, I was given a room with a connecting door which was not the greatest situation since my neighbor on one night was a very loud talker. Dear reader, please avoid any connecting hotel room/ cabin unless you really want one because noise will often seep through the door.....

On an unrelated topic, I arranged for one of my bags to be shipped to this hotel. Doing it yourself is so much cheaper than using the Cunard White star Luggage Service. Of course, the UPS service I employed could not directly deliver my bag to the ship which is a disadvantage. I also used UPS for the return of one of my bags. WHITE STAR LUGGAGE serevice is certainly more convenient but it sure is much more expensive.

On the terrible freezing sailing day, I took a short cab ride to the pier at about 11 AM fully expecting to be whisked aboard the ship rather promptly given my status as a Diamond Cunard World Club member. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Although the fabulous friendly embarkation staff was present, the computers system went down making it impossible at least for a time to process the incoming passengers. The Platinum/Diamond/grill passenger line grew long very quickly as did the line for regular passengers. Along with my line companions, I did not get the sense that there was anyone really in command of this situation. The check in personnel, clearly part time ad hoc employees seemed not to know what to do. I do not in any way blame these nice people for the computer problem but where was the Cunard manager of all this? Communication with waiting passengers from my vantage point was grossly limited. In time, the problem was solved and I embarked the Queen Victoria for the first time to a very welcoming crew.

Unfortunately, I heard stories of annoyed passengers, many of them elderly who waited very long times.... Later on the voyage, many passengers including me had to take time out of the day to have their photographs taken again. Cunard needs to have a stronger command communication structure for embarkation just in case there are major snafus...

in addition, given the numerous elderly passengers, many of them rather frail, it would be a good idea for Cunard to set up a special needs embarkation desk/area with plenty of chairs for such passengers. From a service point of view, for this embarkation, I give Cunard a D-when normally it is A++++.

I was assigned to a starboard A1 category cabin on 8 deck, 8123 with sweeping views of the sea and passing scenery. Too bad it was right under the lido dining area. In the future I will avoid any such location as I was subjected to a subtle rumbling noise from what I assumed to food carts being rolled around from above at odd times even in the middle of the night. Other passengers on 8 deck also experienced this rather vague noise as well. I want to make it clear that this was not a major issue but if you are a light sleeper as am I, it can become annoying very soon. The cabin , like those on the Queen Mary, was very quiet otherwise.

With respect to the cabin itself, I was surprised the shower stall is even smaller than on the Queen Mary 2. I really don't know how some of the larger passengers coped with such stingy space. In addition, the shower head is fixed (unlike the Queen Mary) so if you are on the tall side as I am you really will have to bend down a bit to get your head underneath it. In addition to the rather low shower head, there ws very limited shelf space within the stall for shampoo, soap, razor, mirror and shaving cream. You had to really leave most of those items on the floor of the shower. If you are older, it gets harder to lean down especially in limited space to pick them up for use. (Or use the limited counter space.) Like most ships today , you need a degreee in physics to understand the shower controls.

IN addition, there is very limited counter space in the bathroom on this ship. I was traveling alone this time and found space somewhat lacking. If you are two in a cabin I imagine it could get a little ugly/messy. Also, the bath sink is rather shallow so when washing your hands it was common for water to splash over the counter.

As many have commented, drawer space is very limited in non- grill cabins. The addition of the two very awkwardly placed drawers under the bed doesn't help much because who wants to have to lean down or get on the floor to open them up especailly if you are getting old and creaky? Not me that is for sure! There are no drawers, unlike the Queen Mary, in the closets. Again, I was traveling alone and still found space a little limited. For two in a cabin space would be severely lacking especially for long cruises. Whoever designed/approved these cabins should have letters of reprimand placed in their personnel records. I did like the additon of the two hooks on the cabin wall on which to hang odds and ends like binoculars/cameras.

The balcony was spacious with room for two chairs and table. Although I spend little time on ship balconies, it is still nice to be able to step out to sample the air and listen to the sounds of the sea.

A huge postive for me was my very able cabin steward ARIEL. What a great guy who was always smiling and helpful. He had quickly iintroduced himself after I boarded and very soon addressed me by name anytime I saw him. He was also always quick to honor special requests. Cunard Line is very fortunate to have him on board. I give cabin service a strong A++++ However, I do believe that Cunard Line like many lines, assign too many cabins for each these hard working stewards/essess to take care of. That needs to be addressed in my opinion but I'm not holding my breath.

TO BE CONTINUED IF I MAY...

DECK CHAIR

Looking forward to hearing more!

We board on 3/18 for the Panama Canal 11 day.

If I may ask, how much did UPS charge you to ship your case? I'm travelling from Cleveland to Ft Lauderdale on Delta... and trying to find alternatives to baggage fees and lugging large bags.

Cheers!

~tammy

deck chair, thank you for your very infomative post, we are going on the QV for the first time in July, we are in cabin 8065 and hope that we will not have any noise issues from above, it is very difficult, from the deck plan, to see what is directly above us.

Please do continue Deckchair,

As you may see I had in fact posted a thread asking for informtion re life on board QV at this time. Food in Britannia, Service, and the Shows (do hope they are not the ones shown on QM2 for past 7 years!)

I look forward to reading more over the next few days, I board on Feb 17th in LA.

Thank you for writing

Lynn

deck chair, thank you for your very infomative post, we are going on the QV for the first time in July, we are in cabin 8065 and hope that we will not have any noise issues from above, it is very difficult, from the deck plan, to see what is directly above us.

You are below the pavilion deck to one side of the pool on Deck 9. During the day you may get some noise from chairs and sun loungers being moved but at least it is not an area that can be used by early morning joggers! As a couple we were in an A5 cabin for a full world cruise and found the space and storage to be adequate for our needs - enjoy the ship.

I was to surprised to hear this. We store our luggage under the bed. Will there still be any room there ?

We are leaving next week & have a room next to yours. The report of noise does not bother me but the lack of storage space does. We have never been on a Cunard ship before but I just assumed with an A1 catagory that you would have enough space in the room & in the bathroom to store your things.

We just got back from a cruise on Azamara....I find it impossible to believe that there is a ship with a smaller shower than theirs !

"Deck Chair" mentions noises from Lido on QV above deck 8. We were in 8089 QG midships, and the "rolling/dragging" noise from the Lido above was extremely annoying.

It seemed to be at its peak from about 0530 - and we certainly would think carefully about deck 8 on QV in future

Any other passengers with similar experiences?

D

I was to surprised to hear this. We store our luggage under the bed. Will there still be any room there ?

We just got back from a cruise on Azamara....I find it impossible to believe that there is a ship with a smaller shower than theirs !

There is still room for luggage under the beds, and plenty of storage space in the wardrobes - we had no problem, and do not travel light, though we tend to hang up everything possible instead of using the drawers.

The showers are very small indeed:eek:.

Mary

There is still room for luggage under the beds, and plenty of storage space in the wardrobes - we had no problem, and do not travel light, though we tend to hang up everything possible instead of using the drawers.

The showers are very small indeed:eek:.

Mary

Agreed, even after the installation of the under-bed drawers we were still able to store four good sized suitcases under the bed. In fact, I felt that we had more drawer space in a standard balcony cabin on QV than we did in a similar cabin on QM2

The showers are small but at least they have a shower curtain and not those folding doors that QE2 used to have - those were really tricky.

J

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA 17 DAY VOYAGE PART TWO

Hello readers

I would like to discuss DINNER dining room service, food and general dinner dining room ambiance on the Queen Victoria. In my first installment, I informed you that I was so happy with my 8 deck cabin steward, Ariel. He is the best and IF he is assigned to you you will be happy as a tree with more leaves and branches than any other tree. A++++ all the way.

With respect to the dining room, my two waiters, Ricky and Leva were also the best. I snagged a nice table for six on the lower level right next to the aft windows. Although it was always dark at sea for the late seating, it was still nice to see the wake of the Queen Victoria as she sailed through the seas. Special orders were never a problem for Ricky. Just ask! He will accomodate you if he can. (This is not the Grills after all. You get what you pay for, right?) Dining room serivice with Ricky and Leva were also A++++++

Lets discuss our A++++ wine steward, Eloy. I sensed sadly that he had too many tables to deal with perhaps like a woman with too many date requests for the prom so perhaps he had to be careful who he spent time with. He was really attentive after he understood what wine drinkers we were were at our table. Never pushy or promoting the most expensive wines, Eloy was as charming as expert in the various wines on the list.

I was also very happy with the MD of the dining room who went out of his way to help you if you wanted to change tables. A+++++ If I may adivse, IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR TABLE OR TABLE COMPANIONS YOU NEED TO CHANGE TABLES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!! Do not feel you have to be trapped with a a bad table or companions!!! The MD will be happy to help you....

I should note that no passengers with whom I talked ever complained about service in the dining room. I think the army of waiters will really serve you well so do not be concerned. A+++++

Food is VERY subjective but to to be honest, I was rather to very disappointed in the food in the main dining room. It was very uneven, ebbing and flowing. There was mostly agreement at the table on this count. One got the sense the food had been prepared hours earlier and then placed under heat lamps. Is mush the right term? Some meals were great others not so much. Desserts pretty much the same. If not for the great company at the table I doubt that I would have really look forward to eating in this venue. FOOD C+.

I should mention, our table captain was always attentive and wanted to make sure we were having a good experience. I didn't want to break his heart and tell him that the food was not going to win any awards because I don't think he could have done anything about it anyway. A++++

LIke on the Queen Mary, the ambiance on the dining room is really romantic. Dim lighting, candles and live music. It can't get any better than that when you are with your lovebird or looking for a lovebird to hang out with . A++++

I should advise my readers that my table was at the aft end of the ship right next to the windows. It was really rather quiet in that section. If you are at a table more centrally located, you are in the middle of a lot of hub bub. It is noisy with loud conversation and many waiters running here and there criss crossing about the room. If I return to this ship, I will certainly want to be away from all that. Make sure you get a table off to the side or next to a window.

I would like to discuss the fake wood decks on the Queen Victoria next. Thank you so very much for taking the time to read this posting.

MORE TO COME.

I was rather to very disappointed in the food in the main dining room. . . . . Some meals were great others not so much.. . . . our table captain was always attentive and wanted to make sure we were having a good experience. . . . . the food was not going to win any awards . . . . Is mush the right term?

Hi Deckchair,

Thanks for the review to date - looking forward to the remainder.

Regarding your dining experience: It is usual for the Head Waiter or Assistant Maitre d' to regularly visit the tables for which they are responsible and to enquire if 'everything is all right', or 'are you enjoying your meal'? If everything is not 'all right' or you are not 'enjoying your meal', I feel sure that they would appreciate your constructive comments regarding your disappointment.

This is very different to complaining; you are giving them the feed-back that they asked for, as opposed asking them in a loud voice what they personally are going to do about it! These people cannot read your mind, and only when they have your constructive comments or criticism can they try to get something done about it. If things exceed the required standards then complements and praise are required, but equally if they should fall below those required standards then critical comments should not be withheld.

I am sorry that the dining experience did not live up to your expectations and that it did not detract too much from your overall enjoyment of the voyage. Looking forward to the next part - those plastic decks!!

Regards,

David

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA 17 DAY VOYAGE PART THREE

I was well aware that the decking on the Queen Victoria is some sort of hard plastic/vinyl material quite unlike the Queen MAry which features teak decking in all exterior areas except the very aft and very forward areas.

But It is still very jarring to board the queen Victoria and find this horrible ugly fake wood decking everywhere even in the winter Garden. You can tell the bean counters made this decision. It is similar to buying a $50,000 sofa and then placing plastic seat covers over it.

Not only is this decking ugly, it is very slippery when moist/wet. The decking also squeaks when walkers/joggers with rubber sole shoes are walking/running on it. Would this keep me from sailing on this ship again? No but it sure is unappealing. Of course, I remind myself that S.S. United States had no teak decking either but the United States Lines had a great excuse.

Since I am still working I must leave now and continue later if I may. I am far from finished. Thank you for reading.

Deck Chair

Thank you very much for your informative review. We will be on the QV for the TA in late March, looking forward to it. It will be our first Cunard cruise.

Would love to know whether it is possible to get any hot food items on breakfast (i.e., scrambled eggs) menu in the cabin service, we are in a A-4 cabin.

When we first went on QV I thought the plastic decking was absolutely awful, and was happy to go on the QM2 with her real decks. Strangely enough, the plastic decking didn't concern me as much on our recent QE trip. I suppose I had got over my initial surprise about the lack of teak, and had no expectations. I would certainly prefer there to be teak on the QV and QE, but it just doesn't seem to be an issue for me any more. I hope others will have the same experience on subsequent QV or QE voyages.:)

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART FOUR

While on the subject of decks, it is most disappointing and puzzling to me (as an avid walker) why there is no 360 degree promenade on the Queen Victoria. it is a inconvenient and awkward (if you are a walker/jogger) to be dead ended and be forced to retrace your steps or go through a door to get to the other side and go then through another door to continue your excercise. You really have to wonder what person thought that was a good design. Thankfully, the new Queen Elizabeth, like the Queen Mary has no such flaw. Also, you have to wonder why during the recent refit that that this flaw was not corrected. The bean counters are not walkers/joggers perhaps???

Aside from all that, I really did enjoy lounging in the wood deck chairs on either side of the ship. There is nothing nicer than sitting there and while reading a book glancing out to the sea as it passes by. Thankfully, you could see easily through the railings on promenade deck to watch the ocean or passing land. The reason I am thankful for this is that on most of the exterior of the Queen Victoria, the railings are not real traditional railings through whcih you can clearly see the view but smoke colored glass panels through which is was almost impossible to see the ocean. I don't know about you, but one reason I go to sea is to look at the ocean. Can someone explain to me why Cunard has smoke colored glass panels as railings???? To be honest, this was not a big issue to me because I rarely just sit out on deck under the sun during the day preferring the promenade deck. But at Dusk, my favorite time to be out on deck (no harsh sun) it was almost impossible to find a deck chair from which you had a clear view to the setting sun or ocean. Can this be fixed????

On to to best public rooms on the Queen Victoria. The Commodore Club is by far the most succcessful room on this ship. With its sweeping views, very comfortable seating and fabulous staff it can't be beat. Of course, the Commodore Club on the Queen Mary 2 is nice and certainly very beautiful and comfortble as well but it is smaller in a nice way and the views are not nearly as good. (THere are no views from many points.) In addition, because the Commodore Club on Queen Mary is under the bridge the staff is forced to close the windows as it is getting darker, a time you may want to most watch the twilight. But I still love Campbell Simpson when he is playing the piano there and the staff is great there as well.

The Queen Victoria's Commodore Club was a favorite of mine like many others for reading during the day or during the cocktail hour when Paul Madden sang the old standards while artfully playing the piano. It is also nice that in the evening the lights are dimmed for a more romantic tone. There is no doubt in my mind that you will love this room as well so let me please warn you to get to cocktail hour early to get a seat. It is very popular with many many many passengers. The night buzz of this room complemented by the paino/singing is really rather melodic.

Oddly, it was surprsing and disappointing to me that the somewaht dirty windows in the Commodore Club were not cleaned prior to our passage through the Panama Canal. Did the hotel manager think that passengers are half blind so having clean windows didn't really matter? Several passengers commented on this. Note to Cunard: The many passengers who did not want to be out in the horrid heat during the passage and lounged instead comfortably in the Commodore Club did mind the dirty windows.

With respect to the service in this fine and comfortable room, I would like to compliment the five waiters who took care of me night and day. JOSE, SANDEEP, ROBERTO, LUCIEN and DYMETRO. All these fine men were attentive, friendly, learned my name and knew what I wanted as soon as I sat down on one of the great sofas or arm chairs. The windows may have been dirty during the Panama Canal passage but the service they provided more than made up for it. Good for cunard for having such wonderful staff!

Another really successful public room in my opinion is the HEMISPHERES, the Queen Victoria's nightclub. Not too large or to small, this room really works well with comfortable seating, a lot of windows, nice sized dance floor and easy access to the open decks. It should be noted that the G32 nightclub on Queen Mary is not nearly as nice since it is stuck dead ended aft of the Queens Room and has no access to the open decks. I don't think I am wrong about this, but the G32 on QM2, such a dark space really with no windows is not even used for much of anything during the day. Who really wants to go there during the day? You know, I don't know about you, but being able to easily get to the open decks from a nightclub is very nice especially if you want to get a breath of fresh air or go for a romantic stroll with your lovebird with the ocean and moonlight/stars as witnesses to your love. (Even if it is hard to see through the smoke colored panels.)

I really liked the band, CHANGEZ that played the room most nights. Passengers seemed to appreciate them as well. LIke the Commodore Club, the wait staff were great and efficient.

During the day, HEMISPHERES served as theh place for the art auctions, lectures/seminars and small get togethers. Good for Cunard having such a well designed and located space.

May I continue later???

Deck Chair

Thanks for the info on the Commodore Club.

One question, is there a bar there where you can sit on stools round the bar and be served by the barman rather than a waiter? I like to sit at a bar on a ship and be able to talk to the barman and any other pax sitting round the bar.

One question, is there a bar there where you can sit on stools round the bar and be served by the barman rather than a waiter? I like to sit at a bar on a ship and be able to talk to the barman and any other pax sitting round the bar.[/quote

Yes there is but not too many.

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART FOUR

While on the subject of decks, it is most disappointing and puzzling to me (as an avid walker) why there is no 360 degree promenade on the Queen Victoria. it is a inconvenient and awkward (if you are a walker/jogger) to be dead ended and be forced to retrace your steps or go through a door to get to the other side and go then through another door to continue your excercise. You really have to wonder what person thought that was a good design. Thankfully, the new Queen Elizabeth, like the Queen Mary has no such flaw. Also, you have to wonder why during the recent refit that that this flaw was not corrected. The bean counters are not walkers/joggers perhaps???

Deck Chair

The reason we were given by a cunard officer at dinner one night on QV is that mooring equipment had to be added to the bow at a late stage at the insistence of the Panama Canal authorities. After that second transit in 2009 it had never been used!! We got the impression the canal authorities would be asked again because of the large number of comments about the problem. It is interesting to hear that they seem to have asked in time to avoid making the same mistake on QE but as you suggest the bean counters have not sanctioned the cost of removal on QV yet.

One question, is there a bar there where you can sit on stools round the bar and be served by the barman rather than a waiter? I like to sit at a bar on a ship and be able to talk to the barman and any other pax sitting round the bar.[/quote

Yes there is but not too many.

Thanks for that....oh dear so will have to get up there early!!

My husband agrees with you completely about the camaraderie at a bar vs table...but now he'll have race you to stake out stools even earlier!!!:cool:

I can see us getting our bar stools sorted earlier and earlier and probably finding ourselves up there shortly after lunch time! After that we'll probably be in no fit state to make it to dinner!

I see that quite recently HAL ships have started offering 2 for1 cocktail hours in various bars throughout their ships. By all accounts it has been a great success (for the passengers anyway). Wouldn't it be a real treat if Cunard followed their Carnival cousins at HAL?

Edited by Paul123