Just returned from queen victoria 17 day voyage

deck chair

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART FIVE

Hello

I should have pointed out that the bar in the Commodore Club on Queen Victoria, a rather horse shoe shape design can perhaps seat 15 or so people. THere is a lot of hub bub around this bar because of the waiters coming and going with drinks. I noticed though that there were sometimes vacant stools but if you have to absolutely have one I would arrive earleir rather than later just to make sure. I did observe that the patrons at the bar seemed to be having nice time not only with themselves but with the barmen as well.

In the Commodore Club during the cocktail hours there were plenty of warm and cold HDS served along with mixed nuts and even potato chips. Puzzling, in the Chart Room during the two cocktail hours I attended, no warm HDS were available just nuts/chips according to the efficient/friendly waiters. What is that all about???

Another very successful room on the Queen Victoria is the Royal Court Theatre. Great sight lines all the way around with very comfortable seating and access from three levels. This is a good thing because at the end of lectures/performances you don't have all the passengers trying to exit from just one point. I do wonder why passengers pay the extra $50 per couple for the so called box seats because the views in some cases are not as good as those from many of the regular seats. Of course, the extra fee does include champagne, desserts as well as a photograph of the performers.

The lido dining area layout on the Queen Victoria is almost as confusing/noisy as the Kings Court on QM2 except on the Victoria you have many large wonderful windows on both sides overlooking the sea. On QM2 you have rather limited views out to the promenade deck. The service from the various stations was good and efficient. My only criticism is that it was mostly very hard to find a bar server if you want a drink/soda/wine/beer. There do not appear to be very many of them in this venue crowded with a lot of passengers. This means you get below average service and Cunard makes less mony selling the drinks etc. The staff seemed to do a pretty good job clearing tables so that passengers had plenty of places to sit.

For just one evening my dining room table companions and I decided to try the lido buffet for dinner. (This is not the same as the extra tariff lido dining experience.) First, the food was mediocre and just barely warm. Ssecond, it was almost impossible at first to find a waiter so we could order wine. After several moments we were able to track down a waiter who did promptly take care of us. Cunard should get on the ball about this. We all decided that we would never return to the lido for regular dinner buffet service. I should note that none of us tried the extra tariff lido dinners so really can't comment on what that was like.

To end this evening's posting on a positive note, the deli in the lido was really first rate. THe staff responsible for making up the various sandwiches and other such creations did a great job not only with the service/attitude but with the food itself. So good for them!

Thank you for reading. Sorry for typos.

May I continue later??

Deck Chair

Deck Chair, thank you for the further info on the shoe shaped bar in the Commodore Club. You are very informative and we appreciate your posts.

So pleased to read that the deli section is excellent, I do not use the Kings Court per se, but for a light lunch I would go to the deli counter, obtain a very good shrimp sandwich, and take the plate back to my roomto enjoy with a glass of wine there.

Nice to read that a good sandwich can also be obtained on the QV.

Your reports most informative.

Thank you again

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART FOUR

While on the subject of decks, it is most disappointing and puzzling to me (as an avid walker) why there is no 360 degree promenade on the Queen Victoria. it is a inconvenient and awkward (if you are a walker/jogger) to be dead ended and be forced to retrace your steps or go through a door to get to the other side and go then through another door to continue your excercise. You really have to wonder what person thought that was a good design. Thankfully, the new Queen Elizabeth, like the Queen Mary has no such flaw. Also, you have to wonder why during the recent refit that that this flaw was not corrected. The bean counters are not walkers/joggers perhaps???

I've read here (and on other websites) that it's the same on QE ... no 360 promenade deck. :confused:

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART SIX

One important reason i sail with Cunard, is the variety of orchestras and musicians on board their ships. The Queen Victoria did not disappoint. As far as I know, except for Cunard, there is no line that provides a orchestra for dancing in a ballroom. It really is nice to dance to fabulous music and Cunard knows how to provide that experience.

Oddly, on this voyage, unlike on the Queen Mary, there was never a Big Band Ball when the Queens Room orchestra and Royal Court orchestra join forces. Perhaps it is because the bandstand isn't large enough or perhaps it is simply because the Entertainment director didn't plan one for whatever reason. I know that on the Queen Mary the big band ball is very well attended by happy passengers. Of course, there were four dance hosts to provide company for unattended ladies.

In addition, there was never any afternoon tea dances on Queen Victoria quite unlike on the Queen Mary where they are very popular. For this there is no excuse and I can only assume the entertainment director just didn't bother to schedule them. Too bad because they would have been well received.

While it is nice to have a ballroom on the Queen Victoria it is not as nice as the one on Queen Mary because on Victoria it is smaller, not its own distinct room, has an overlook from above retail area, and borders an open pass by for passengers going forward or aft to other rooms such as the Golden Lion Pub or Royal Court Theatre. Not that these are huge nagative points just an observation.

Another fine artist is Paul Madden who played the piano and sang in the Commodore Club.

One event I eagerly anticipate is the "IN CONCERT" production when all the musicians including the string quartet and the harpist join in with the singers for a fabulous evening of music. Not to be missed. You will not find this on any other line because no other line has the musicians to put on such a show.

The Golden Lion Pub is a good room but perhaps too narrow and long, a bit too spread out a bit too dark. I like the sunnier Queen Mary's version better although the seating on Queen Victoria is more comfortable. IN the evening, the GLP served as a place for trivia, other events and live piano music. On the Queen MAry I am used to a least once in a crossing a lunch time live dixieland Jazz session. There was no such event on Queen Victoria and for this I blame the entertainment director.

NOw on this voyage many of 900 plus American passengers were looking forward to watching the NFL playoff games. Some of us gathered in the GLP to watch the games thinking they would be played on at least one of the three television sets. Too bad only live Cricket was on and no one was even watching. When complaints about this were forwarded, the entertainment director announced that the games would be played on cabin tvs. Well they played exactly one game. When asked about the remainder of the games no real explanation was offered except to say ship didn't have the cconnection or license. Well, if that is the case, why was the one game played??? Did Cunard suddenly lose the connection or license? Strangely, later on, you could watch a repeat of some of the games on your cabin TV. Meanwhile, friends of mine who were sailing on a Princess ship reported that all the NFL games were being played live on their ship. Go figure! By not playing the games in the GLP, Cunard failed its American passengers and lost revenue from those passengers who would have purchased beer etc. And the waiters lost tip money.

To end on a positive note, I would like to highly compliment the great personnel who staff the pursers desk. At all times they were professional, patient and helpful. Cunard is fortunate to have these fine young people serve the needs of their passengers. For example, if you need your phone recharged they can do that for you. Need the New York Times Digest? NO problem!

Did I mention that Cunard has the greatest orchestras???

See you tomorrow if I may.

Deck Chair

To end on a positive note, I would like to highly compliment the great personnel who staff the pursers desk. At all times they were professional, patient and helpful. Cunard is fortunate to have these fine young people serve the needs of their passengers. For example, if you need your phone recharged they can do that for you. Need the New York Times Digest? NO problem!

How wonderful to read positive comments about the Pursers Staff on this board. So often they come in for bitterly adverse comments - but my personal experience matches yours exactly. Never once in the course of seven voyages have I received anything but polite, helpful and efficient service from the pursers. I second your compliments.

J

I've read here (and on other websites) that it's the same on QE ... no 360 promenade deck. :confused:

I'm slightly surprised that some people find the lack of a wrap around promenade deck such a problem. Even on QE2 it wasn't possible to do a complete circuit of the promenade deck - at least not all on the same level. You could, of course, climb a flight of stairs when you reached the bow and cross to the other side via the Sun Deck, then descend the stairs again and continue your circuit. But, on most sea days, the stairs were closed off because of high winds leaving no alternative but to cut through the interior of the ship, just as you have to do on QV (and presumably QE).

J

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART SEVEN

Hello

Sorry it has taken me longer to get back to this post than I had planned...

I think I have made it very clear that the service I received on the Queen Victoria was first rate. A+++++ all the way. You will not be disappointed. But may i ask my fellow passengers to greet the fine people helping them (Like how are you doing today?. How is your family? Good to see you etc.) and to also say please and thank you. It really goes a long way but it is troubling how often you witness fellow passengers behaving rudely towards to crew. There is no excuse for such behavior.

A room on Queen Victoria that doesn't work well for me (unlike on the Queen Mary) is the Chart Room. It is not a distinct room, more like a space, far too long and narrow and too out in the open as if your living room is set on in the middle of a crowded mall. It is not the distinct room it is on Queen Mary. It also openly borders a passageway through which many passengers travel coming and going often in a somewhat loud fashion which can disturb the mood that is sought in the Chart Room. In addition, because it is a very long narrow open space it is sometimes difficult to hear the live music being played either by the pianist or the string quartet if you are sitting in the farther reaches of this space. That is not all true on Queen Mary. I don't know what can be done about this flawed space. One good point, thought, is that the seating is very comfortable. A lot of nice chairs and sofas and views of the passing sea. Great!

I hope to be back soon today. Thank you for reading.

Deck Chair

A room on Queen Victoria that doesn't work well for me (unlike on the Queen Mary) is the Chart Room. It is not a distinct room, more like a space, far too long and narrow and too out in the open as if your living room is set on in the middle of a crowded mall. It is not the distinct room it is on Queen Mary. It also openly borders a passageway through which many passengers travel coming and going often in a somewhat loud fashion which can disturb the mood that is sought in the Chart Room. In addition, because it is a very long narrow open space it is sometimes difficult to hear the live music being played either by the pianist or the string quartet if you are sitting in the farther reaches of this space. That is not all true on Queen Mary. I don't know what can be done about this flawed space. One good point, thought, is that the seating is very comfortable. A lot of nice chairs and sofas and views of the passing sea.

Exactly my view - and I think the use for the space for Britannia Club on QE is a very much better use for it. I would not be surprised to see the Chart Room disappear on QV to be replaced by the Club restaurant, assuming that the galley arrangements allow this.

WD

Hi deck chair

Thank you so much for sharing your review of your recent cruise on Queen Victoria. I found it to be very informative and very personal.

Would you mind submitting your review to http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/# where I am sure member more Cruise Critic members would enjoy reading it.

thanks again for sparing the time to write the review.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note because we just got back from sailing on QV in 8067, right next door to your 8065 coming up. Yes, you'll hear some deck noise above from Winter Garden chairs and even footsteps in hard-heeled shoes. Oddly, also smelled a lot of food odors coming, I guess, from Lido next to Winter Garden. Awakened out of sound sleep the first night at 3:30 am of overwhelming smell of garlic! Hard to get rid of!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Deck Chair,

Your reviews/comments have been very helpful. My husband and I are sailing on the QV March 18 Panama Canal. We have sailed on the QE2 and the QM2. We've always had great experiences and fabulous memories. We are a little concerned about our QV cabin which is 8100. Hope they use less garlic! Thanks for your beautifully written cruise diary.

JUST RETURNED FROM QUEEN VICTORIA PART FOUR

Can someone explain to me why Cunard has smoke colored glass panels as railings???? r

Those smoked glass panel railings are all over Carnival and their cruise lines I have noticed. Not an attractive feature in my mind and I'm sure more a bean counter directive than an esthetic move. I agree with your comments on food service, even in the grills where my wife and I dined we came to the conclusion of the "heat lamp" effect as well. It's all subjective, but having cruised a Carnival company at least once a year we have noticed a down grading of the quality of our experience. It seems more and more the accountants are dictating the experience rather than listening to passenger expectations. It is the primary reason why we just booked with Celebrity and Oceania this year...Carnival's Cunard just can not compete with the attention to detail its rivals are now giving.

• 1 month later...

HELLO READERS

SORRY for the delay in continuing my review.....tonight I would like to discuss postcards....as an avid traveler, I make it a point to write and send postcards from various countires to numerous friends and relatives including small children who delight in receiving them....(what three year old doesn't like getting real mail especially colorful postcards from abroad?) I have never had a problem with delivery until now.

On this voyage I wrote about 40 cards from Mexico and Costa Rica and turned them over to the ship's pursers while docked in Manzanillo for precessing. In addition to the cost of the postcards, it cost another roughly $40 for postage that was added to my shipboard account. Well, none of the postacrds arrived which has not been my experience in the past....I don't balme Cunard but the Mexican post agent who did who knows what with them....Instead of trusting Mexicans .I should have waited until the ship arrived in the U.S. to send them...lesson learned......I am debating whether to dispute that $40 charge with my credit card company.....any advice??? See you very soon with the final installment...

DECK CHAIR

Well, none of the postacrds arrived

If they do arrive - check where they were posted from. I once posted some cards from a Princess ship due to dock in NY - but they were not posted from the USA, but some obscure (and cheap, and slow) Caribbean island....they did, in the end, show up.

HELLO READERS

SORRY for the delay in continuing my review.....tonight I would like to discuss postcards....as an avid traveler, I make it a point to write and send postcards from various countires to numerous friends and relatives including small children who delight in receiving them....(what three year old doesn't like getting real mail especially colorful postcards from abroad?) I have never had a problem with delivery until now.

On this voyage I wrote about 40 cards from Mexico and Costa Rica and turned them over to the ship's pursers while docked in Manzanillo for precessing. In addition to the cost of the postcards, it cost another roughly $40 for postage that was added to my shipboard account. Well, none of the postacrds arrived which has not been my experience in the past....I don't balme Cunard but the Mexican post agent who did who knows what with them....Instead of trusting Mexicans .I should have waited until the ship arrived in the U.S. to send them...lesson learned......I am debating whether to dispute that $40 charge with my credit card company.....any advice??? See you very soon with the final installment...

DECK CHAIR

Since you have experience sending postcard from various countries, I am sure you know that delivery can be hit or miss in some, if not most parts of the world. A few years ago I was in a country where the locals had a good laugh about tourist sending post cards - I asked them why, and the most polite translation I can offer was that they thought it was whistling in the wind (or words to that effect).

I do not see how you can dispute the charge on your credit card for postage paid by Cunard which you authorized, unless you contracted Cunard to deliver the post.

Salaica