Fod?

crzyfish83

I've read this term in some post and just wanted to know what it stands for. Also while creating this thread, when looking for shore excursions is it a good idea to look for GLBT things in ports of call or just go with the ships shore excursions. This will be my first cruise in May with my partner and we just really want to have a good time and relax and not worry about being harassed.

Sailing on carnival glory out of Miami.

I've read this term in some post and just wanted to know what it stands for. Also while creating this thread, when looking for shore excursions is it a good idea to look for GLBT things in ports of call or just go with the ships shore excursions. This will be my first cruise in May with my partner and we just really want to have a good time and relax and not worry about being harassed.

Sailing on carnival glory out of Miami.

FOD refers to Friends of Dorothy. It's a rather old term that probably originated as slang or code word reference to what we now call gays. Perhaps a reference to Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz. I'm not sure any cruise line still posts the term FOD in their daily paper, but look for it or some form of GLBT/LGBT term in their list of "things to do" onboard. Either one might be listed or posted on a bulletin board by the Activities desk. It's a chance for members of the LGBT community to find one another on board to socialize. Usually an FOD or LGBT gathering on board will end up being a collection of like-minded individuals and/or their friends having a few drinks and socializing together at one of the ship bar venues.

To answer your second question, it's entirely up to you. Some ports will have LGBT-known bars or sites, and many will not. Ship shore excursions will have no hint of LGBT associated with them unless you're on a gay group cruise of some sort. Do your own internet research about things you might want to do (LGBT or not) and have fun.

NCL used Friends of Dorothy when we cruised them in October. Regarding excursions, depending on where you go there may not be any GLBT activities. But I have found that doing excursions privately is not only significantly less expensive but also allows you to do just want you want to do. I would suggest that you check both the roll call boards and the gay roll calls and you might find some folks who are looking for YOU to join them on their excursions. IF you don't find a roll call,then start one.

Thank you all for the answer. I was sitting here reading FOD and did not know what they were talking about. I will definitley be looking for something in the paper. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the thread.:D

• 4 weeks later...

You are not alone crzyfish. We have seen FOD meetings advertised on Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard. Its a very old fashioned expression, and I doubt many people under 50 would understand it. I think it dates back to the days when we were illegal, and was a secret code used to identify us to each other (are you / is he a friend of Dorothy?) I think its a totally inappropriate term to be using in the 21st Century, not because it is in any way offensive, but because young gay guys and girls will not know that it is for them! The first time we saw one advertised on Celebrity, 3 years ago, my BF did not know what it meant and we were both doubtful that it was for gay people. We thought it was probably a real woman called Dorothy, who was travelling with a group of friends!! We checked it out for a laugh, and all though we didn't stop by we were pleased to see that the cruise line actively made gay people welcome.

Also took a while to find out who the advertised "friends of Bill W" were (Alcoholics)

The phrase dates back to about World War II, when being gay was illegal in the United States. Stating that, or asking if, someone was a "friend of Dorothy" was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning. Two theories on where the term is from but realistically no one knows.

1. Most common is thought that "friend of Dorothy" refers to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different.

2. Second train of thought claim that the phrase refers to humorist Dorothy Parker, who included some gay men in her famous social circle.

Most interesting thing I read was In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating gay sailors in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers........................they never found her:D

Most interesting thing I read was In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating gay sailors in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers........................they never found her:D

I've always been aware of the first, never the second, and the third----

LMAO!!!!!

Oh Jeeze, I can just see a room full of a guy with crewcuts circa 1950 smoking unfiltered cigerettes and going through phone books making calls to every single Dorthy in the US of A!!!!

Ya'll come visit us in Israel, hear?

We got gay soldiers marching in uniform at pride parades!

The concern that the expression "Friends Of Dorothy" is not acceptable because it is a code name for gays is a bit ludicrous. If one wanted to see a code in anything it would have to be LGBT. You would need to call upon the Enigmas machine to decode that. Frankly we do not buy into the thinking that the newly out and young generation do not know what the expression Friends Of Dorothy represents. If they can tell you who Harvey Milk was then they should know. And if they cannot then it's about time they started to learn our history. We old Friends Of Dorothy put a lot of work into that.

You are not alone crzyfish. We have seen FOD meetings advertised on Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard. Its a very old fashioned expression, and I doubt many people under 50 would understand it. I think it dates back to the days when we were illegal, and was a secret code used to identify us to each other (are you / is he a friend of Dorothy?) I think its a totally inappropriate term to be using in the 21st Century, not because it is in any way offensive, but because young gay guys and girls will not know that it is for them! The first time we saw one advertised on Celebrity, 3 years ago, my BF did not know what it meant and we were both doubtful that it was for gay people. We thought it was probably a real woman called Dorothy, who was travelling with a group of friends!! We checked it out for a laugh, and all though we didn't stop by we were pleased to see that the cruise line actively made gay people welcome.

Also took a while to find out who the advertised "friends of Bill W" were (Alcoholics)

Oh, get over yourself! There's nothing inappropriate about it. On Cunard it says FOD/GLBT meeting. I was glad to see FOD several years back on our first cruise. I've seen it listed as FOD,Rainbow Pride, or as the FOD/GLBT as on Cunard.

The concern that the expression "Friends Of Dorothy" is not acceptable because it is a code name for gays is a bit ludicrous.

FOD is more widely understood in N America. LGBT is widely understood in the UK, and a rainbow reference - particularly a flag - might be more widely understood internationally.

Of course, if you don't want to be inclusive and welcome young people and other nationalities, then FOD is fine, but in the 21st Century we should no longer have to hide behind a furtive code that is not widely understood.

FOD is more widely understood in N America. LGBT is widely understood in the UK, and a rainbow reference - particularly a flag - might be more widely understood internationally.

Of course, if you don't want to be inclusive and welcome young people and other nationalities, then FOD is fine, but in the 21st Century we should no longer have to hide behind a furtive code that is not widely understood.

Codes? The first letter of the expression GLBT is said to stands for Gay. I know many homosexual who are certainly not gay but Gay is the expression chosen. The origin of the use of word is not important. It is now, after generations, international. But now we no longer use the word Gay for Lesbians but who are in fact homosexuals. The women felt that they did not belong under the umbrella of the word Gay and needed a separate identity. Bisexual could well be a misnomer according to many psychiatrists. And finally Transsexuals the majority of whom, as we understand it, have not made the “trans”. If we can no longer all be known by a common word such as Gay then let it be something uniting instead of fragmental. The word Friends has a nice ring to it but not specific enough. How about Friends Of Dorothy? Who knows it just might catch on.

Many years ago, I was at an international conference of Jewish librarians in Jerusalem.

I wanted to organize a meet up for gays and lesbians but hesitated to put up a note that was too up front, there are a lot of orthodox Jews in the profession, and I had no doubt that it would be ripped down.

So I put up a note that read LAVENDER LIBRARIANS PLEASE CALL.... FOR MEET-UP

They called and the note stayed up.

I think that's the lesson to be learned here. No matter what shingle you hang on the door, probably more than half the G&L people aren't going to know or care about it. You have to want to find it before any sign will do any good. I do wish it was more universal, with better attendance. Like many things, it looks to be a lot of fragmented opinions but no clear winner.

Wow! Interesting reply after I got my answer. I personally LOVE History! First I'm a black male, so I learn of the struggles that my feel black americans had to deal with. Then I'm a Gay male......Who is in the military. So yes I want to know about it all. I never knew about Friends of Dorothy and the possible things that it could be referenced toward. I find it all very interesting. Thank you all for sharing!

BTW I do know who Harvey Milk is and I do about the Pink Triangle.

Wow! Interesting reply after I got my answer. I personally LOVE History! First I'm a black male, so I learn of the struggles that my feel black americans had to deal with. Then I'm a Gay male......Who is in the military. So yes I want to know about it all. I never knew about Friends of Dorothy and the possible things that it could be referenced toward. I find it all very interesting. Thank you all for sharing!

Ahh..if you were Jewish as well, you'd have all the bases covered.

Ya gotta come here for gay pride then. Soldiers in uniform marching in the parades!

Ya gotta come here for gay pride then. Soldiers in uniform marching in the parades!

That would definitely be great. Love to travel and need to get to the other side of the world soon. Looking up dates now.:D

Archived