Is it worthwhile to travel with a Netbook?

Bunkie103

We leave all tech related items at home except one cell phone that is unrelated to business when we cruise. We bring it when we are on extended land vacations though.

There is something about a cruise that makes me want to disconnect completely from everything and feel the stress leaving my body. I do replace the items from my freed up hands with drinks though. :D

We keep all our trip info on the netbook. Have separate files for our flight info (including backup flights), contact info, hotel info, cruise documents, plus a file for each port.

We use the netbook to store our photos each night and journal the trip as we go along, keeping notes and reminders on it.

On flights, we play games on it, or familiarize ourselves with the ship's deck plan if cruising on a new ship. (We download everything that we might want on the flight or on the ship in advance.)

To save expensive internet charges, we read and write all email offline. Then we sign on briefly just to send and receive mail, and immediately sign off.

If we need to look up anything on the internet, we download that too and read it after signing off.

I dislike using the ship's computers or the computers in ports at internet cafes or libraries because I prefer having access to my own bookmarks and browser, with all the options set the way I like them.

I just ordered one from HP thanks to the help of a good friend of ours. Yay!! I hope it gets here in time! I would think so though since they have 3 weeks! It says it'll be built by the 21st and then once it's shipped I can go pick it up.:D

Target has an Acer netbook on sale this week for $199. Just a very basic one. You pros out there think that's probably a piece of junk??

LOL! The one I bought was an HP dmz1 series with 4gb memory. The friend that helped me said he highly recommended it, especially what my husband would use it for or even in the future - Emails, GPS, etc. I trusted him. I'm calling it a very early bday present, lol!

I just got one for Christmas and I asked for it specifically for traveling. I tend to cut and paste lots of info into a word doc and print it out to bring with me, now I will just save that info as .docs to read. I never know when I get to my destination if I am going to want to veg, do an active excursion, or remember what restaurants I want to try out. Now I will have all of the info I need and can decide that day. And since I am going on the Valor, if by chance the Belize thing hasn't worked itself out, I can have info on alternate ports, just in case :D

I also plan on downloading photos each night. I like to keep a journal, which will be much easier with the netbook.

I can't wait to find out if it lives up to my expectations in April!

LOL! The one I bought was an HP dmz1 series with 4gb memory. The friend that helped me said he highly recommended it, especially what my husband would use it for or even in the future - Emails, GPS, etc. I trusted him. I'm calling it a very early bday present, lol!

Congrats... sounds like a nice one!!

Archived