Is it worthwhile to travel with a Netbook?

Bunkie103

Recently I purchased a nice netbook with the intention of having it when we travel. Now I am wondering if it is worth adding it to all the things we need to pack for Alaska. I have no small children, so therefore no need to keep in touch with our homebase, no work related need to be in touch, just enjoy being on line. Would gladly hear any suggestions, comments. Thanks.

I too bought a laptop, with the intention of cruising with it. Being brand new, I worried about it dissapearing, since of course it doesnt fit into the safe.

I quit bringing mine. I go to a internet cafe in a port or two during the cruise and get online on a borrowed computer cheap.

I bring my netbook and use it to upload and organize my photos throughout my cruise. That alone makes it worth it for me as I take a lot of pictures.

My netbook does fit into the safe, by putting it in there at an angle so no worries about it being stolen.

If the only reason you are taking it is to surf the web, I don't recommend it. You will find the internet speeds slow and pricey and you won't have that much time to just sit and surf the web.

How about the new Android tablets? They are really a mini computer and work off Wifi same a bigger notebooks but are 7 or 10" screens. They come in different sizes memory etc, cost a few $100 dollars. Mine has internet email, music etc. Weigh only a few ounces.

I like mine but I use it to watch movies and listen to audiobooks whir traveling. I don't worry about the safe, if they want to steal something then their are more expensive stuff. Plus do I think they would risk thei job over a $350 net book?

I've brought mine lots of times. I just don't use it while on board. I do use the night before embarkment to post on CC or paybills etc.. I never lock it in the safe. I agree with one the poster said about risking a job for 200 netbook. Not to likely.

Have to admit it was a few year ago but wife and I took a car ferry betweeh Michigan and Wisconsin. In the cafeteria there was a pin ball machine with a sign taped on it, Play at your own risk. Thos steel balls really roll different on a rolling ship. Interesting game though.

I browse the ports in Goggle Earth pre-cruise and can view them disconnected from the internet throughout the cruise. You cache will hold the map images you last viewed up to a point. Good for at least 3 or 4 ports.

I also download the pictures from my camera to back them up incase I lose the camera.

I used to haul a big laptop but got tired of it. I got a great deal on a netbook right before Christmas. This past month I took it on my Med cruise and used it all over Europe. I love the thing as it is so convenient. I do use it to keep tabs on my family, but I did use it to back up my photos, etc. It came in very handy and was easy to fit into my carry on. I now consider it a great purchase.

For what it is worth, I got decent internet connections on my Spirit Alaska cruise last May.

I take mine every trip. I like to be able to upload pics/videos so I have an empty memory card for the cameras. I also enjoy sitting on my balcony shooting some emails out, MUCH cheaper than calling or sending them with my blackberry.

Purchased one pre-Christmas and used it on our 2+ weeks of travel throughout Florida and on our 4-day cruise. I have lugged a 17" around the last few cruises, and found it to be far too much pc for what I needed while travelling. The netbook has been the best purchase for this purpose.

Dowloaded and backed up photo's, skyped with the kids & Grandkids on Christmas Day while in port, caught up on FB and CC, and was able to double-check directions etc using MS Streets & Maps.

Won't travel without it now ! :D

We take the one I bought for my husband - have all important papers emailed to my hotmail acct and that way they are accessible no matter where we are. Also put PC to Kindle on it and have several books ready to read when I am on the plane, by the pool, etc. Lightweight

and portable!

I bought ours for traveling as well. We took it on our cruise last year and also to Vegas. I never use it to access the internet while on vacation (unless wifi is free i'll use my Mytouch for any other internet needs) but I do use it to back up my photos each night to just in case I lose the camera. We also loaded a bunch of movies/TV shows on it that we watched while we were on the plane or sitting in an airport. My wife also watched movies on it while we drove to Vegas. To me I wouldn't travel with out it and it was well worth the investment. Especially since all the specs blow my 5 year old laptop that I use to travel with out of the water.

I've had my netbook for 2 years and take it all the time. It's light and will fit in the safe although I don't bother doing that. I have used it to watch movies on the plane or airport, pay bills while I'm away, and when I'm onboard the ship I can log on, download all my mail then log off. I can then take my time sorting the good stuff from the junk, compose any replies, then log on and send them. I can go through a whole day's mail in a couple minutes of airtime. I've even caught free internet in a couple ports when I had to be in touch because of selling a house. I don't like the touchpad so I carry a mini retractable mouse

7tKeQVpSI6pjp5Nc5JWQ2MjfBg62I9Ewqy3D_dQ0CXGtKlTC7yUe_0ZdVyjYQoTAmsEFE1pyEqr51Izk-ymZAEBCylrRvxiuFunezxS34SWBt4-yaW2-Je-raQlLtAKC1_Vtj6gzAqP_dLMhdDr7JXEHTB4suNb4KzKsIcWalw

The cord retracts and stows in the reel in the middle, and extends out a couple feet. Wouldn't be without it. I like it better than the mini bluetooth mice because I can use it on an airplane where the bluetooth can't.

I took my netbook last year for the first time for two reasons in particular. I upload my pictures every night - as I have a constant fear of dropping my camera in the ocean - and losing ALL my pictures. Plus - each night I try to write a little about the trip. Not for a review, but a diary of sorts - just those little things I want to remember - my thoughts, people I meet. I find if I wait until I get home - some of them are forgotten. Oh - and I can play music at night.

Recently I purchased a nice netbook with the intention of having it when we travel. Now I am wondering if it is worth adding it to all the things we need to pack for Alaska. I have no small children, so therefore no need to keep in touch with our homebase, no work related need to be in touch, just enjoy being on line. Would gladly hear any suggestions, comments. Thanks.

I brought a netbook on our last cruise (kids were at camp and we e-mailed them and received e-mail from the camp and needed to take care of some work stuff and, of course, follow the Red Sox ;)) We were on a Med cruise. I used it more in hotels pre and post cruise (internet was free). But I used the ship's desktops on the cruise as I just prefer a nice big keyboard when available. Now, I have in iPhone and won't bring a laptop or netbook. Company pays for international data.

My husband has been thinking of getting one, and I'd like to surprise him with one, BUT I have no clue what would be good or not.

Can someone help me out?

So that we don't hijack the thread, you can email me at kdcrenshaw at yahoo dot com. Just put in the subject line that your from CC and it's regarding the netbook.

My husband has been thinking of getting one, and I'd like to surprise him with one, BUT I have no clue what would be good or not.

Can someone help me out?

So that we don't hijack the thread, you can email me at kdcrenshaw at yahoo dot com. Just put in the subject line that your from CC and it's regarding the netbook.

I don't even know my own stinking email! Should be kdcrenshaw2005 at yahoo dot com.

If you have it I would defiantely take it. I travel on work/play probably 50 times a year and if you already own it take, If you are worried about it getting stolen buy a lock for it. Go to any computer store and they will know what you mean. I personally have an ipad vs a netbook and take it everywhere.

Archived