Men's Opinion Please....Too corny?

lhershbe8881

You are very sweet to do this for your husband. I would like to offer an idea for the old ring that I have seen done with great success. You can take the old ring to a jeweler and have it built into a new band, either as the lining of the new ring, or redesigned in some way with additional gold. That way, your husband will not need to give up his old ring which is something that is likely very precious to him. Perhaps you could tell him that you are going to have it straightened and polished for him and then surprise him with the new ring. I have seen this done with wedding rings and they looked wonderful.

Have a wonderful trip!

Female opinion again sorry

I think if its important to you he will love it. My DH lost his wedding band the first year we were married we went to st.thomas on our honeymoon..(a few months after we were married) and he decided while we were in St. Thomas he was going to buy a new wedding band there. I contacted a local synanguoge ( DH is jewish-Im not we were married by a pastor) to see if we could re-new our vows while there as well...They had a temple that had all sand on the ground.... WELL....rabbi was not on the island that day and we never found a ring he liked...he was dissappointed. Go with your heart after 30 yrs you know your husband.

LizCruiser... we were just going to suggest that too. You beat us to it. True romantics think alike :)

Is he still wearing the old ring (it sounds like no)? If not, maybe consider having the gold from the old ring melted into the new ring. Then it will still be his old ring just strengthened (just like your love and commitment to each other over 30 years!). I did something like this with my husband's ring, and he really appreciated it. :)

Absolutely do it (as a man married 18 years). That idea rocks. Special people do special things in special places. It will be very memorable. :)

I have a thick band (not wide, but heavyweight) and love it. He might notice it more than normal at first, but tell him within days he won't even feel it anymore.

54 year old man, married for 28 years and don't worry what everyone else says. You know your husband and you know yourself. I am willing to bet that if it makes you happy it will make him happy.

OK: Go for it. :D

Just remember: St. Thomas won't be the same as it was 30 years ago. It's more "built up" then it was but Trunk Bay is still beautiful.

Take care and have a lovely cruise.

Mike

Ok.. so I may be a gay man.. but I'm still a man.. LOL.. Well.. I have to say I actually had tears in my eyes when I read your posting (enforcing that I'm a gay man I guess.. LOL), OP. I think it is wonderful and I believe if you do it in the right way.. no others around, etc.. that he will love it. I think you are both lucky to have each other and it will be a very special occasion. Trunk Bay is a very romantic place for us too, and we are not usually like that. There is just something magical about it.

Thirty years ago, my husband and I were married and took a Eastern Carribean cruise for our honeymoon aboard the Carnival Festival (that really dates us!). Our ports were St. Thomas, Nassau and Puerto Rico. We were 21 years old, broke, very naive and actually drank our first glass of wine on that cruise! While pulling into in St. Thomas, heaven treated us to a double rainbow that arced over the island in welcome. We took an excursion to Trunk Bay on the island of St. John. This was several hurricanes ago and when the beach was rated one of the top ten most beautiful in the world. It was breathtaking and prisitine. It was something that we have never forgotten. We promised ourselves that we would come back every year to celebrate our anniversary. Well, four kids and lots of trials and tribulations later, we have not been back in all of this time. We have been to Puerto Rico (and have not had the desire to see Nassau) but not St. Thomas or Trunk Bay. We leave in March on the Epic to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and finally we are going to St. Thomas.

My husband is in construction and throughout the years, his wedding band has become bent and distorted. It is gold and the jeweler says he cannot straighten it any more. As an anniversary gift I have purchased a new wedding band for him, definately wider and stronger (and more expensive) than the original. I want to give it to him on Trunk Bay. My kids say that it will embarrass him and that it's not a good idea. They say to give it to him before we leave, but the sentimental side of me wants it to be special and memorable as it will be the ring that he wears for the rest of his life. I will not present it to him in front of people, maybe some private cove on the island, but what do you men think? Is this too personal a thing to do at a public venue (I have no doubt that I will cry like a baby)? Is it too corny? How would you feel if your wife did this?

I am a guy and would not find this corny. Do it!

I am overwhelmed by your responses! Thank you so much. I am definately going to do it! I have the ring on order and as soon as it comes I will stash it in my suitcase and sneak it into the beach bag that I will take to St. John. We love to snorkel so maybe I'll think of a way to give it to him underwater! haha That's pretty private. You have all inspired me to make it a memory that neither of us will forget, regardless if he thinks to do anything for me. I will update you all when I get back! Thanks again for your support.

I'm a girl BUT - I think it would be wonderful! My husband would cry like a baby and love every minute of it. We've been to Trunk many times - huge St. John LUVRS!!! I say go for it! In romance, NOTHING is too corny! :o

... but what do you men think? Is this too personal a thing to do at a public venue (I have no doubt that I will cry like a baby)? Is it too corny? How would you feel if your wife did this?

As a guy my advice:

Wait to you get to the beach to give him the ring. Life is too short not to do something special like that. If it were me...I'd probably cry too. :cool:

Archived