Cruising from Venice

hbeaney

I have never done a no fly cruise from Venice however when I was in my twenties I inter railed from London to Venice.

Where do you intend to commence your journey? Are you looking to travel direct or stopping off along the way?

Quickest way I can think of (without doing any research)...

Eurostar to Paris, TGV to Geneva, then Geneva to Milan on Swiss rail's new tilting EuroCity train, then Milan to Venice Journey time Geneva to Venice is about 9 hours... (includes changes at Brig and Milan. )

Or, Paris - Basel -Milan -Venice, about 12 hours.

We actually did it last Summer!! There is a great website -seat61dotcom which will detail it for you but this is what we did although the timings are approximate. We left London St Pancras at 10:00 a.m. and arrived Paris around 1:30. We took a taxi to Gare de Lyon to drop off our luggage, had some lunch then spent the afternoon / early evening sightseeing, via the bateaubus along the Seine which we picked up close to the Gare de Lyon.

After that we went back for our luggage then walked to Gare de Bercy - although we'd recommend a taxi for this part as it took about 15 minutes and we were quite tired by then. We had booked first class which means a sleeping car for two with a wash-hand basin so we waited in the first class lounge at the station and met some nice people also going on our cruise. other than this there are few facilities at Gare de Bercy as it's very small but nice restaurants nearby. We had dinner / a few drinks on the train (although food wasn't very good) but slept quite well and arrived around 9 the next morning in Venice. It was exciting to cross the lagoon and see our ship (Ruby Princess) waiting for us. From the station it's a short walk to Piazzale Roma (turn right as you leave Santa Lucia station, walk 200 metres or so)to get the People Mover to the port. It only costs 1 euro but you need to have a one euro coin.

The worst thing about the whole trip was we bought breakfast in a cafe very close to the station and the prices were the highest we have ever paid anywhere for coffee and criossant and we never usualy notice the cost of things on holiday.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have - if I can!

Archived