Son's medical prob and dining room on Ryndam

mtnmommy

I have severe food allergies, and I always take the time to meet with the Dining Room Manager/Maitre D' usually as I board the ship. The Manager should be available then at the main dining room. For future cruises, it helps to have your Travel Agent alert the ship ahead of time.

When I meet with the Manager, he/she arranges to see me every day. I am given the next day's menus for perusal and choices. I have often had special meals made up for me, and I think that you could probably have a similar arrangement for your son. If there are things that he really enjoys, let the staff know. Actually, many times my table mates have looked at me enviously, and asked what they have to do to get such special treatment! - not that I would wish it on any one else!

The fact is that your very plucky young man is learning to adapt to a big challenge. Being able to find solutions, with the help of a very caring and careful restaurant staff, is what makes cruising a very safe option for people with eating problems. :)

Hats off to this young man for being socialy comfortable with his daily challenges, it's half the battle, and seeing this will soon put others at ease.

Last year I took my first solo cruise. I have RA and my hands are pretty crippled up. I can't cut up meat and if I want soup it must be in a cup. The day I boarded I went to the dining room and talked to the manager about my difficulties. Meal times were never an issue as they were able to give me the help I needed, and my table mates were very understanding.

HAL staff are extremely accommodating and helpful when they are made aware of what help you may, or may not need.

Have a fantastic cruise Alex! :D:D

Archived